What's new

Proraso Blue...

...rounds out my blue shave set.

I have a preference for the color blue. It's not my favorite color per se (not that I'm sure I have one), but it's among the colors I most often wear and use for decorating. I use a blue hand towel, bath towel, a blue shaving towel, and a blue face towel. I also have a cobalt blue Captain's Choice Seaworthy bowl.

While I have a number of shave soaps and creams in blue containers, I've always had my heart set on getting Proraso Blue. I did see tubes of the cream at Burlington Coat Factory a couple years ago. Back then, I didn't know how infrequently Burlington stocked Proraso shave soaps and creams. As a result, I waited too long and when I went back to buy a tube, they were all sold out.

Today, I happened to be at Ross. I was looking for some hair product that could provide me with a firm hold and light to medium shine. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Ross, the chain markets shopping in its stores as a treasure hunt. Their wares are shelves haphazardly and without much sense of order beyond "department" (e.g., menswear, womenswear, shoes, men's grooming, kitchen goods, home goods, bath goods). While looking through the men's grooming department, I moved item after item around on the shelves. By doing so, I wound up staring at a a box of Proraso Blue. I hurriedly opened the box and noticed that there was a tube of cream inside (yeah, some people have been known to replace the contents of boxes with other items). I was pleasantly surprised by my find and made my way quickly to the checkout line.

From just a cursory glance at the opening in the tube, the cream looks just a tad drier than toothpaste. I assume this will not present any issue while shaving, since I plan to use a bowl to lather it. It also still has a pleasant smell, though, I'm not sure what it reminds me of just yet. I assume I'll have a better idea once I squeeze the cream out in my shave bowl and whip it into a lather. I will be using the cream for my next shave. Wish me luck! 🤞

Attachments

• DDA5C94E-44D7-4A98-83BC-4C98699F4328.jpeg
    DDA5C94E-44D7-4A98-83BC-4C98699F4328.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 63
I just finished my shave with Proraso Blue. It was a pretty good shave. The blade was on its 6th shave (really getting toward the end of its useful shaving life for me). Still, the lather I got from the Proraso Blue was slick and well-cushioned.

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed shaving with Proraso. I have used the Red and White croaps in the tubs. The White provides such a nice hit of menthol on a hot day/evening. The Blue also has a bit of menthol, but it is less than that of the White. On a warm evening like tonight, it was a pleasant surprise.

Oh, I also realized of what the Blue's scent reminds me: fresh paint. I don't mean this in a bad way. I actually like the smell of fresh paint. That said, the smell is likely not a selling point with the Blue, as it might be with the Red, which smells fantastic!

All in all, I am glad I bought the Proraso Blue, especially for $4! 😁

For starters, you have an old version of the cream, so that might explain a denser/harder/drier state of affairs.

BTW, there are two "Proraso Blue" lines. The one you're referring to (in its current form) is the Vitamin E and Aloe.

1622802793992.png

The other one and IMHO a better choice is the Azur Lime ("azzurro" BTW means blue in Italian):

1622803023476.png

Difficult to tell, but I could say that my Green and Blue are somewhat thicker/drier than toothpaste. The Red isn’t.

No scientific experiment, but the Blue seemed to perform better than the other 2. Both during and after the shave.

However, never came to terms with the scent of the Blue. Not exactly bad, but somewhat artificial, as if “trying too hard” to be something it is not. Gave it to the son of a friend, who’s obsessed with achieving BBS.

I am one who originally bought the blue because of all the differing opinions on the scent. I just had to smell for myself! I for one, really enjoy it. In fact, I’ve been known to open it up and give it a lil snifferoo on my way passed the shave den! 😂
I know this won’t be the case for everyone, but in my opinion it’s well worth a shot.
8751405D-A634-49C8-8F29-12741032CDFD.jpeg

💈🖖🏼💈

For starters, you have an old version of the cream, so that might explain a denser/harder/drier state of affairs.

BTW, there are two "Proraso Blue" lines. The one you're referring to (in its current form) is the Vitamin E and Aloe.

View attachment 1276555

The other one and IMHO a better choice is the Azur Lime ("azzurro" BTW means blue in Italian):

View attachment 1276557
Thanks for that! Now that you mention it, I remember reading about the Azur Blue in this forum before. Though I guess it never really sunk in.

Fortunately, my tube of Blue cream isn't really dried out at all. It squeezed out like a champ last night. In fact, for a moment, I was afraid too much was coming out and I wouldn't be able to get any excess back into the tube! 😁 Luckily, that didn't happen, and I wound up with a great lather. 🙂

Difficult to tell, but I could say that my Green and Blue are somewhat thicker/drier than toothpaste. The Red isn’t.

No scientific experiment, but the Blue seemed to perform better than the other 2. Both during and after the shave.

However, never came to terms with the scent of the Blue. Not exactly bad, but somewhat artificial, as if “trying too hard” to be something it is not. Gave it to the son of a friend, who’s obsessed with achieving BBS.
I haven't tried any of the other Proraso creams, but I have tried the Red and White croaps. (I also have a tub of the green croap I plan to start using later this month, when the extra menthol will really feel good with the heat.) I have always had pretty good shaves with the croaps. If anything, my shave with the Blue cream was just a little better than my shaves with the croaps. That said, I am very fond of the croaps and plan to keep them in the rotation. The Blue cream has managed to join those ranks. 🙂

I am one who originally bought the blue because of all the differing opinions on the scent. I just had to smell for myself! I for one, really enjoy it. In fact, I’ve been known to open it up and give it a lil snifferoo on my way passed the shave den! 😂
I know this won’t be the case for everyone, but in my opinion it’s well worth a shot.
View attachment 1276584
💈🖖🏼💈
I have nothing against the scent. It just happens to remind me of fresh paint. I really do like the smell of fresh paint. It reminds me of when my folks redecorated and had the walls of our home repainted. If I could've, I would've huffed those fumes all day! 😁

I haven't tried any of the other Proraso creams, but I have tried the Red and White croaps. (I also have a tub of the green croap I plan to start using later this month, when the extra menthol will really feel good with the heat.) I have always had pretty good shaves with the croaps. If anything, my shave with the Blue cream was just a little better than my shaves with the croaps. That said, I am very fond of the croaps and plan to keep them in the rotation. The Blue cream has managed to join those ranks. 🙂

I really liked the scent of the Red. I had never tried anything sandalwood before and was reluctant when it arrived. But it’s great! I wished it lingered a bit longer.

I’m also fond of the Green, although - when I think of it - it’s difficult to understand what about the scent is there to like in the first place!

I really liked the scent of the Red. I had never tried anything sandalwood before and was reluctant when it arrived. But it’s great! I wished it lingered a bit longer.

I’m also fond of the Green, although - when I think of it - it’s difficult to understand what about the scent is there to like in the first place!
Proraso Red was my first experience with sandalwood (outside of the incense burned in some dorms, apartments, and shops around my college campus when I was a student). I wasn't sure what to expect, either, but I loved the smell of the Red. in fact, it came to define the sandalwood scent for me. So imagine my surprise when I received Taylor of Old Bond Street's sandalwood scented soap. Don't get me wrong, I like the soap and the scent of the soap, but it's scent is far removed from the Proraso Red's sandalwood scent.

Proraso Blue is awesome. Blue and Green are my favorites, though I’ve often wondered why Blue is the only one of the four in the traditional line that’s not available in a tub/croap format. Anybody know?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Blue is my favorite of the non-Single Blade creams. I don't know if I could describe the scent, but I like it. Hope you're liking it. If Proraso would do a Blue croap and splash, that would be The Bomb! Have to wait and see, I guess.

I just finished my shave with Proraso Blue. It was a pretty good shave. The blade was on its 6th shave (really getting toward the end of its useful shaving life for me). Still, the lather I got from the Proraso Blue was slick and well-cushioned.

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed shaving with Proraso. I have used the Red and White croaps in the tubs. The White provides such a nice hit of menthol on a hot day/evening. The Blue also has a bit of menthol, but it is less than that of the White. On a warm evening like tonight, it was a pleasant surprise.

Oh, I also realized of what the Blue's scent reminds me: fresh paint. I don't mean this in a bad way. I actually like the smell of fresh paint. That said, the smell is likely not a selling point with the Blue, as it might be with the Red, which smells fantastic!

All in all, I am glad I bought the Proraso Blue, especially for $4! 😁

I always forget how good Proraso is until I go back to it. Yes, it's not the best but it's a good soap, and it's one that works well with straight, which is a bonus for me since I'm still learning, and eliminating poor soap lather as a variable is important.

White's white tea scent is hard to find and red has one of the best sandalwoods you can get.

I like the scent of the blue cream. Because of that I bought the balm. To my nose the scent is a little bit different. I don’t like the scent of the balm as well as the cream

Blue preshave is terrible scented. Like gasoline mixed with polish remover. But its performance is top notch imo. If you don't like the layer of protection preshave oil gives and want something that doesn't necessarily mess with the lather it is a good choice. Very economical for the price. The 100ml jar will last you a long while as long as you use a sensible amount.

Blue is the only real option in their lineup with any skin-food. Lanolin, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera etc. Apparently, the new formula is much better than the old one and there is no difference between the tube and the tub except for water content.

Blue is my favorite of the non-Single Blade creams. I don't know if I could describe the scent, but I like it. Hope you're liking it. If Proraso would do a Blue croap and splash, that would be The Bomb! Have to wait and see, I guess.
I've used it for my last three shaves and really like it. I really really like the White croap (the lather, sensation, cushion, and slickness); the Blue cream would be a close second. That said, I need to break in my Green croap and give that a try.

All in all, I've not been disappointed with any Proraso shave croap/cream that I've tried.

Top Bottom