What's new

A Costly Mistake

Well, I just found out my Dovo Best Razor wasn't the best after all. It wasn't doing anything on the HHT and I could see under the 30x loupe that the edge was ok on the face but looked bad on the back, in fact, the edge wasn't even straight nor was it well defined. I just got a call from the sharpener and he said he had never seen a smile so bad in a factory grind and agreed that the back wasn't properly honed. He will replace the razor...and mailing it so I don't have to step back in the store!
Sounds like a reputable establishment to deal with!

I have a vintage TI and a new TI. I daresay the vintage TI is way better. I had to do a bunch of work on the new TI edge and scales. The scales had much flash on them from the molding process and I had to trim that. And the pivot pin was so loose that the blade just swung freely. After a bunch of work, the TI is fine and HHT 5 on the edge. But the vintage TI is of a higher quality.

What surprises me is Le Grelot, which is a sister company of TI, produces spectacular razors at a lower price. My factory Le Grelot came in HHT 5 right out of the box.

Sounds like a reputable establishment to deal with!

They are! I've purchased some products from them in the past. They run a dual-branded store with knives and accessories being the other side and it's the most popular knife store in the city. Unfortunately, they only maintain a small shaving stock so I have to order some of what I want online from the warehouse in Calgary.

I have a vintage TI and a new TI. I daresay the vintage TI is way better. I had to do a bunch of work on the new TI edge and scales. The scales had much flash on them from the molding process and I had to trim that. And the pivot pin was so loose that the blade just swung freely. After a bunch of work, the TI is fine and HHT 5 on the edge. But the vintage TI is of a higher quality.

What surprises me is Le Grelot, which is a sister company of TI, produces spectacular razors at a lower price. My factory Le Grelot came in HHT 5 right out of the box.

That's impressive! I'll have to look into the Le Grelot. This one seemed to be about HHT 3 out of the box and the honer was able to get to HH5 with stropping compound in a few minutes. I'll have to see how it shaves tomorrow. I can take it in for tuning if it's not up to snuff so that's good.

@dabrock That is Beautiful Sir!!!

Hmmmm not saying anything here but been there wait until you find Koraat razors just over 2 years ago I dropped £500 on one but its beautiful

Last edited:
I will help guide you to the light

20180714_122408.jpg

Top Bottom