What's new

A Costly Mistake

I ordered a Dovo Best and Bismark and received them both yesterday, but the Best was not shave-ready and I returned it to the store for sharpening. When I got there I was talking to one of the honers and we got talking about different razors and I ended up coming home with a Spartacus -- now I have SRAD! :facep: :blushing:

It really is a gorgeous razor and I can't wait to use it!

I ordered a Dovo Best and Bismark and received them both yesterday, but the Best was not shave-ready and I returned it to the store for sharpening. When I got there I was talking to one of the honers and we got talking about different razors and I ended up coming home with a Spartacus -- now I have SRAD! :facep: :blushing:

It really is a gorgeous razor and I can't wait to use it!
I guess it was a costly mistake, you're talking about this type of Spartacus: Thiers Issard Spartacus Straight Razor 6/8 Blade Hook Nose - https://shavenation.com/products/thiers-issard-spartacus-straight-razor-6-8-blade-ebony-handle

and not this one: Thiers Issard Spartacus Straight Razor 5/8 - https://www.fendrihan.ca/products/thiers-issard-spartacus-straight-razor-5-8-faux-veined-wood-handle

Man, when I saw the thread title, and saw that was you, I thought you'd dropped your straight and messed it up.

You could call buying a TI razor an indulgence, a fun purchase, but a mistake? Naah.

If your SRAD ever gets out of hand, there are always the GRUME threads.

Man, when I saw the thread title, and saw that was you, I thought you'd dropped your straight and messed it up.

You could call buying a TI razor an indulgence, a fun purchase, but a mistake? Naah.

If your SRAD ever gets out of hand, there are always the GRUME threads.

Oh, that would have been bad!

I just realized now I'm headed down that rabbit hole I was trying to avoid lol.

Well that's pretty. Enjoy! I only have one TI but another one seems ... inevitable.

SRAD can be cured easily, Ive heard, with a Just One More razor. I keep putting "Just One More Straight Razor" into the Googles and while I haven't seen that rare brand available yet in the usual places, I usually see one or two others to keep me busy while I keep looking for the elusive Just One More.

Well that's pretty. Enjoy! I only have one TI but another one seems ... inevitable.

SRAD can be cured easily, Ive heard, with a Just One More razor. I keep putting "Just One More Straight Razor" into the Googles and while I haven't seen that rare brand available yet in the usual places, I usually see one or two others to keep me busy while I keep looking for the elusive Just One More.

Yeah, I had my RAD, BAD, and SAD under control, but then I started chasing rabbits like the song says lol. If I find that Just one More I'll let you know!

Beauty. And less expensive there than the one at Shave Nation. (I'm starting to think they are more expensive on about everything.)

That one from Shave Nation seems to be a more upscale model. It would be about $450 here.

Beauty. And less expensive there than the one at Shave Nation. (I'm starting to think they are more expensive on about everything.)
I agree with you on that one and I live very close to Shave Nation. 👍
Yeah, I had my RAD, BAD, and SAD under control, but then I started chasing rabbits like the song says lol. If I find that Just one More I'll let you know!
I think you’re now afflicted with the worst of all the acquisition disorders and regret to inform you I don’t think there is a cure discovered for it yet. 😀

I agree with you on that one and I live very close to Shave Nation. 👍

I think you’re now afflicted with the worst of all the acquisition disorders and regret to inform you I don’t think there is a cure discovered for it yet. 😀

Yeah, this rabbit hole not only includes higher-priced razors, it also includes stropes, stones, pastes, display cases, restoration supplies... On the plus size, I'll save on blades! 🤣

Well, I just found out my Dovo Best Razor wasn't the best after all. It wasn't doing anything on the HHT and I could see under the 30x loupe that the edge was ok on the face but looked bad on the back, in fact, the edge wasn't even straight nor was it well defined. I just got a call from the sharpener and he said he had never seen a smile so bad in a factory grind and agreed that the back wasn't properly honed. He will replace the razor...and mailing it so I don't have to step back in the store!

I hear you an the TI Spartacus; this was my second straight & very similar to one of the Spartacus models suggested.

My TI.jpg
Can't go wrong with a TI, I have had this for 20 years and never once regretted buying it.

Top Bottom