What's new

The Novelty Has Worn Off

I started wet shaving back in February of last year. Got the Gentleman Jon, kit, with brush, blades, sloppy safety razor, alum block and scuttle. Thoroughly enjoyed new way of shaving! Bought a RazoRock .68 Game Changer, 100 Parker Blades, and some Proraso Green shave cream. I ended up buy an .84 Game Changer Plate.

The good news: Still using the .84, I find it to be absolute perfection. Zero irritation. Parker blades shave close but are a nice medium sharp blade which is all I need. Probably have 7 or 8 packs left.

My wife bought my sons some shaving stuff at TJ Maxx for Christmas. Creams, aftershaves, a faux badger brush, etc. They only shave once a week. Most of the junk you buy there works ok, but you don't need the brush because they don't lather like Proraso.

These days, I've been using their creams. Currently the Hudson Line Sandalwood. It's good like a Cremo or a Harry's (next on tap), but you don't need the bells and whistles. I've been shaving in the shower. Less time, and a closer irritant free shave.

Last time I used my Alum, it was for a paper cut.

Completely lost interest in trying any new blades or razors. To me, it's just something I do daily and will have to do tomorrow. i still enjoy reading all your inputs, but the FOMO is completely gone. When I run out of all the blades, cream and after shave, then I'll have to make decisions.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

So it takes about a year? I started in November.

You are very very fortunate to not feel compulsive urges to spend money unnecessarily, even when checking in on B&B. You have some quality products that get the job done well. You have learned the art of contentment, and deserve commendation.

So it takes about a year? I started in November.

You are very very fortunate to not feel compulsive urges to spend money unnecessarily, even when checking in on B&B. You have some quality products that get the job done well. You have learned the art of contentment, and deserve commendation.

The perfect shave for me
Proraso Green
RazoRock .84
Parker Blade
Duke Cannon Ice Cold aftershave balm
Tommy Bahama cologne.

I just don't know how it could get any better. Comfortable and close.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There is nothing wrong with seeing shaving purely as a utilitarian function and using the same equipment for years or even a lifetime. B&B is about finding what works for you, which need not be constantly trying different products, searching for something better in an endless cycle of dissatisfaction. I suggest those with the least equipment are often the most satisfied with what they have.

There is nothing wrong with seeing shaving purely as a utilitarian function and using the same equipment for years or even a lifetime. B&B is about finding what works for you, which need not be constantly trying different products, searching for something better in an endless cycle of dissatisfaction. I suggest those with the least equipment are often the most satisfied with what they have.

That's how I feel. Been to the mountain top. Thank you for articulating

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The perfect shave for me
Proraso Green
RazoRock .84
Parker Blade
Duke Cannon Ice Cold aftershave balm
Tommy Bahama cologne.

I just don't know how it could get any better. Comfortable and close.
Enjoy what you have and don't worry about new gear if you are content. I have a different strategy for paying off my shaving gear by cutting my own hair for the last 4 years with hair trimmers. I think I'm content at the moment also and have easily enough gear for many years and have enjoyed the journey how to shave properly. You might be a quick learner and have hurdled the learning curve fast enough and there are no challenges unless................................... :thumbup:

Many are probably very jealous of you not having those FOMO feelings! I think everyone lands in a different place, I mean in the end, it's just shaving. I went through many years of chasing all the special releases, waiting for that next unobtanium thing to drop, ordering that next best razor etc. It was fun, and I loved trying all the new bases especially. I have sold and traded many things away since, but still grab a new release or two per year.
To me it's all about being happy in the "hobby" of it whether it's being happy with what I have, or being happy waiting for something new to come out.

I started wet shaving back in February of last year. Got the Gentleman Jon, kit, with brush, blades, sloppy safety razor, alum block and scuttle. Thoroughly enjoyed new way of shaving! Bought a RazoRock .68 Game Changer, 100 Parker Blades, and some Proraso Green shave cream. I ended up buy an .84 Game Changer Plate.

The good news: Still using the .84, I find it to be absolute perfection. Zero irritation. Parker blades shave close but are a nice medium sharp blade which is all I need. Probably have 7 or 8 packs left.

My wife bought my sons some shaving stuff at TJ Maxx for Christmas. Creams, aftershaves, a faux badger brush, etc. They only shave once a week. Most of the junk you buy there works ok, but you don't need the brush because they don't lather like Proraso.

These days, I've been using their creams. Currently the Hudson Line Sandalwood. It's good like a Cremo or a Harry's (next on tap), but you don't need the bells and whistles. I've been shaving in the shower. Less time, and a closer irritant free shave.

Last time I used my Alum, it was for a paper cut.

Completely lost interest in trying any new blades or razors. To me, it's just something I do daily and will have to do tomorrow. i still enjoy reading all your inputs, but the FOMO is completely gone. When I run out of all the blades, cream and after shave, then I'll have to make decisions.

Anyone else had similar experiences?
You have become a Minimalist! Many here on B&B look to achieve minimalism, of course the enablers are quite the opposite.

If you have found what works for you and are happy with it then you are good to go. Enjoy your shaves!

I would say I've also become a 'Minimalist', using a few razors, two blades, three soaps. I don't know if 'novelty' is the right word, but I still get satisfaction from a job well done.

I sometimes have to remind myself: it's just shaving. What we have done is take a mundane, daily chore and given it a bit of interest. Then we fell down various rabbit-holes curious fellows are liable to explore: blades, brushes, soaps and creams, razors.

It's sort of like our brother coffee-geeks, or b-b-q fanatics. You can dump hot water over ground coffee or toss a brisket in the fireplace, and you'll get your caffeine or your cooked meat, but we can do so much better.

For me, the novelty wasn't really there. I started DE shaving when I was 14 and I have kept it up through to retirement (except for the Dark Years: carts in the shower.) But I do enjoy almost every shave, the calmness of the 20 minutes devoted to nothing, really, just shaving.

And of course I have had my own personal rabbit-holes to fill. I am down to (up to?) one razor, one shave bowl, one brush, 8 soaps and creams, 4 aftershaves and balms.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with finding a system that works for you and sticking with it. Minimalism can be a virtue. If the end product of your efforts this past year is that you no longer use carts and consistently get satisfying shaves, then I'd call that a success. No need to feed a curiosity that isn't there.

Curiosity has a curious way of sneaking its way back to the surface though, if given enough time...

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I think you purchased some good hardware and some decent software early on that just worked and continues to work. And in that sense you're probably a lot more fortunate than most. I would think that most of us searched...some longer than others...for a setup that worked. Trial and error can get costly...so can plain old curiosity. But for those who're searching for perfection...or something close to it...it's simply a part of the equation to continue to purchase gear in the hope that it'll be better than the current best...or even... so good that it'll be unnecessary to try again.

Congrats on the early on good picks.

Top Bottom