What's new

what constitutes an expert

having run across a thread from a couple years back where some members argued about you tubers being classed as experts, made me wonder then what constitutes an expert, is it the guy with a you tube channel, or perhaps it's the guy who has been wet shaving for 50 years but still has a face covered in tissue paper stopping the flow of blood from his many nicks, or what about the guy who's been shaving for a year but gets a bbs shave every time, or perhaps the shaving store owner who's been selling shaving products for 20 odd years, so what constitutes an expert🤔... although this thread is open to discussion, it's not intended to cause arguments, and should be seen(although a genuine question) as a light hearted discussion on what constitutes an expert😉

I think most you tuber’s first motivation is to make money. That doesn’t mean they’re not good at it, or enjoy helping people,but I don’t think that was the reason they got into it. I think they were hoping to get enough views to monetize their channels. Nothing wrong with that, but simply being popular on YouTube doesn’t make you an expert.

Well, normally people are considered expterts when they have or display a special skill or knowledge representing mastery of a particular subject derived from training or experience.

I don't see that in Youtube vidoes to be honest. These are guys with good genetics who shave only two times a week. So, they are experts on shaving their own faces two times a week. That's all to me. And don't forget: they are influencers. In Germany they would have to label their videos as commercials, even if they bought all there equipment.

Nonetheless, I enjoy watching these videos from time to time. But I have to be careful not to be pulled back into the rabbit whole again.

having run across a thread from a couple years back where some members argued about you tubers being classed as experts, made me wonder then what constitutes an expert, is it the guy with a you tube channel, or perhaps it's the guy who has been wet shaving for 50 years but still has a face covered in tissue paper stopping the flow of blood from his many nicks, or what about the guy who's been shaving for a year but gets a bbs shave every time, or perhaps the shaving store owner who's been selling shaving products for 20 odd years, so what constitutes an expert🤔... although this thread is open to discussion, it's not intended to cause arguments, and should be seen(although a genuine question) as a light hearted discussion on what constitutes an expert😉

I feel that both the term “expert” and “professional” have been dragged through the mud and piled upon them undue meanings.

I am a professional cook, that means that I get paid to cook, not that I am good at it. My Chef is an expert in his field because he has experience, not because he is the best in his field.

The kind of person that makes an expert out to be some sort of “knows everything there is to know” about their craft is the same terrible person that only believes musicians are those performing at concert halls.

It’s an unrealistic standard that clearly reflects their own fear to take risks as a creative, this shoveling out criticism to anyone that is not perfect.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Lots of folks with really good wetshaving experience and knowledge.

As for being an expert... only one expert for my face, that's me! That said, I'm still learning after 5-6 years, so maybe there is no 'expert' for my face :)
You only have to be an expert with your own face - unless you are a Barber, paid to shave someone else's face!

I know I always screw this quote up, but it's my favorite, from my favorite US President, Harry S Truman: "An Expert is a man who's afraid to learn something new, because that'll prove he wasn't an expert to begin with!"

Or some such nonsense!

People that proclaim that they are an expert ALWAYS make me walk away, cuz I figger they are after my money. Experts bother me, especially the ones on News Channels!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think most you tuber’s first motivation is to make money. That doesn’t mean they’re not good at it, or enjoy helping people,but I don’t think that was the reason they got into it. I think they were hoping to get enough views to monetize their channels. Nothing wrong with that, but simply being popular on YouTube doesn’t make you an expert.
No, you're right. It only makes them look to me like a dude that needs another hobby to go along with wearing an athletic shirt and videography!

If I was only a LITTLE BIT more handsomer I'd be a self proclaimed Shaving Expert!

The classic definition of an expert is " a person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area." YouTube participation does not mean a person is an expert. Nor does the number of followers a person have make an individual an expert. Plus, being an expert depends on what you are measuring.

For example, there was an individual who years ago was somewhat active on B&B. His knowledge of DE and SE razors was incredible. He could see almost any razor and identify it within seconds. However, by his own admission, he struggled shaving with any DE or SE razor and eventually went back to cartridges. He may be considered an expert on razors but not on shaving.

I'd say a guy who's able to get an irritation free BBS 9 out of 10 times, knows what hardware and software works best for his skin type and shaving technique AND can explain why is that so in scientific terms (chemical ingredients in software and technique/angle/blade type/honing method/grind, etc for hardware).

So, basically it's knowing what you are doing, how you are doing it, why you are doing it the way you're doing it AND getting the perfect result (almost) every time you do it.

I’ve yet to see anyone label themselves as an expert in wetshaving. The truth for most people is that they would not be using the equipment they do if there weren’t videos of people giving their advice and tips and tutorials and reviews on their YouTube channels. Most don’t get more than a few hundred views a video, they don’t make much of a splash to be shills either way. Most seem genuine and honest and basically just sharing their experience. Identical to what we do on here. When another user endorses a product or gives a good review most don’t come in to test their shaving aptitude or their independence. We take it for what it’s worth and make our own decisions. I wouldn’t be here if not for these youtubers tbh.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I'm not sure what qualifies as an expert, but someone who can do something that only a select few can, that's impressive. When it comes to shaving I think the guys that do stunt shaves are experts. Like that one guy who shaves with a DE blade held with popsicle sticks... @Slash McCoy

Last edited:

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Experienced is a better term than expert. YouTube has a lot of people doing shaving clips. Some are entertaining some are not. I take them with a grain of salt, never sure if they are promoting a product because it was given to them for free or their genuine passion for shaving. Some amuse me for all kind of reasons. A couple of the YouTube shavers make me cringe yet other are full of hubris and self importance. There are some clips that I watch that are informative and helpful.
As always proceed with caution.

I have been wet shaving since the late 1960s. I consider myself experienced but certainty not an expert. It is a hobby now not a daily chore. I enjoy sharing with others the shaving experience through this forum with newcomer, old hands and all others inbetween. I know a fair bit about shaving my face. I know what products I like and what products I don't. I continue to learn things about shaving and B&B is part of that learning and sharing. Experienced yes. Expert certainly not.

in my own little corner of the world I consider myself an expert.

I can take a Bay buy and put a wicked edge on her. i can even choose between multiple types of finishes dependent upon preference or perception.

but in reality, we're all experts here on the forum......we know entirely too much about wet shaving. more than most would ever care to even know about.

camo

Top Bottom