What's new

Danidom Boar Brush From Spain

Over the years, I've tried numerous boar brush models from various manufacturers. I've recently been given an opportunity to try a boar brush from a manufacturer in Spain I was not familiar with. That manufacturer is Danidom. It is located in Barcelona, Catalonia, and was founded in 1955. In addition to making boar shaving brushes, Danidom also makes paint brushes and hair brushes. In this regard, it reminds me of Omega, which also makes different types of brushes.

Danidom boar brushes are handmade in-house. The particular model I'm trying is called the Endurance. It's named after Ernest Shackleton's ship and his epic 1914 Antartic expedition. The Endurance features an ash handle and an aluminum ferrule. The ferrule, which holds the knot, is removable from the handle. Here is a photo of the Endurance from the Danidom site:

proxy.php

The brush arrives in simple packaging. The knot has a diameter of 22mm at the top of the handle, and a loft of 52mm. The ash handle has a glossy finish which is very evenly applied. The top of the handle has a hard plastic threaded ring, allowing for the ferrule to easily screw on and off the handle.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've used the brush three times, and we all know boar brushes have a long break-in period. So far, my brush shows good backbone and no scritch whatsoever. The tips began splitting after the first shave, and every indication so far is that this knot will get softer. I don't know how the knot will splay after it's fully broken in, but I expect a splay pattern similar to a Semogue. Overall, it's a nice looking brush with good ergonomics, and performance typical of the better boar brushes.

The removeable ferrule has a practical value. I rinse boar and badger brushes thoroughly under a lot of running water. Removing the ferrule allows me to do that without exposing the wood handle to all that water.

This is a small brush. That is not a criticism, but rather an expression of my preference for larger brushes. This brush would be more to my liking with with a 24 or 26mm knot. However, this 22mm knot has very good performance will be just right for some guys.

proxy.php

I don't know what these sell for, but I expect them to be moderately priced. At that price point, this brush represents an excellent value.

Last edited:
Over the years, I've tried numerous boar brush models from various manufacturers. I've recently been given an opportunity to try a boar brush from a manufacturer in Spain I was not familiar with. That manufacturer is Danidom. It is located in Barcelona, Catalonia, and was founded in 1955. In addition to making boar shaving brushes, Danidom also makes paint brushes and hair brushes. In this regard, it reminds me of Omega, which also makes different types of brushes.

Danidom boar brushes are handmade in-house. The particular model I'm trying is called the Endurance. It's named after Ernest Shackleton's ship and his epic 1914 Antartic expedition. The Endurance features an ash handle and an aluminum ferrule. The ferrule, which holds the knot, is removable from the handle. Here is a photo of the Endurance from the Danidom site:

proxy.php

The brush arrives in simple packaging. The knot has a diameter of 22mm at the top of the handle, and a loft of 52mm. The ash handle has a glossy finish which is very evenly applied. The top of the handle has a hard plastic threaded ring, allowing for the ferrule to easily screw on and off the handle.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've used the brush three times, and we all know boar brushes have a long break-in period. So far, my brush shows good backbone and no scritch whatsoever. The tips began splitting after the first shave, and every indication so far is that this knot will get softer. I don't know how the knot will splay after it's fully broken in, but I expect a splay pattern similar to a Semogue. Overall, it's a nice looking brush with good ergonomics, and performance typical of the better boar brushes.

This is a small brush. That is not a criticism, but rather an expression of my preference for larger brushes. This brush would be more to my liking with with a 24 or 26mm knot. However, this 22mm knot has very good performance will be just right for some guys.

proxy.php

I don't know what these sell for, but I expect them to be moderately priced. At that price point, this brush represents an excellent value.
Many thanks for your review.
The style reminds me of certain Vielong brushes. Do the have a Webshop?

Yes, it looks identical to the Cachurro brush. Here's an image from Vie-Long's website:

proxy.php

Vie-Long makes a lot of private label products for other companies. It's possible (likely?) that they're the OEM for Danidom.
I read a thread here (can’t find it at the moment) that this style of detachable head was introduced by the British military after the outbreak of anthrax due to contaminated common shaving brushes in camps. So it’s been around for a long time and Spanish producers still have generic models in their catalogs.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice brush, thanks for the review. A brush maker that I have never heard of before.

Yes, it looks identical to the Cachurro brush. Here's an image from Vie-Long's website:

proxy.php

Vie-Long makes a lot of private label products for other companies. It's possible (likely?) that they're the OEM for Danidom.

Does the Cachurro have a removeable ferrule?

Does the Cachurro have a removeable ferrule?
The Cachurro is part of their "Professional" line for use in barbershops, so it supposedly has a replaceable knot. However, I used to own one and mine had the metal collar/ferrule epoxied to the handle.

As an aside, my handle's finish was atrocious. The wood was as rough as sandpaper and the finish was chipped and blotchy. Looking back, I wish that I had taken some photos before sending it back to that Amazing website run by Jeff Bezos for a refund.

Googling for photos of the Cachurro's handle brings up some equally nightmarish images, though. In a Reddit post, a Cachurro buyer asked the vendor why the brush was so rough and he was told that a crappy finish and "glue flash" was normal for Vie-Long's pro line. You can see the glue has squeezed out from under the collar in his photos:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Your Danidom brush looks way better than my Cachurro. If anybody wants a similar brush, then it might be a good idea to get the Danidom!

Top Bottom