What's new

Arkansas Love...Let's see those Arks!

Ok guys just tried my 10x3 set of Arks out last night after the simple green degreasing. I need some advise as I gave up with them last night. I was unable to set the bevel on the 10x3 Washita. I wanted to progress Wash. / Hard / Surgical Black, but was unable to get past step one. Is it possible that I cannot set a bevel on a Washita? I was not seeing any pronounced swarf and was unable to get a sharp bevel, and I was at it for a good while. Not sure what I am doing wrong here, but any advice would be appreciated.

I guess I can always start at a 1k bevel setter and then move to Washita, but I thought I would not need a synthetic bevel setter with this stone. I am flummoxed??
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
How are you making out with your 10x3 set?

Nathan, it's a great set. I found the washita and hard are not great for razors, but the Black is a beast. Just had my evening shave through 3 days growth, and even against the grain there is no resistance. Gonna use the washita and hard for knives.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

I am still waiting for a translucent to come my way, might never happen.
That soft ark does look like the stones that came with a Smith's tri hone I picked one up at a yard sale earlier this year. I wouldn't be at all surprised if yours wasn't tagged as the hard stone. The hard on the set a got seems to be right in line with a Dan's soft. The small white stone above it is a vintage Smith's hard that is much harder.
I am going to run some specific gravity's on some of these but I am pretty limited in sample size.
Are the bottom two 11.5" x 2.5"?

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I have had this for many years. And for as long as I had it, been trying to get it out of the bottom. On and off again heating in a oven, tapping, in the Florida sun. Never got nowhere until yesterday. Laid out it for its annual sun bath for the day. At the end of the day, gave it a few taps and it moved a mm. HOLY CRAP!!! Some more taps, bangs, torques and out it popped. It was held in by the hide glue from hell in a zero clearance flush fit piece of wood. Now for the butterscotch eye candy

98EDC595-1AAE-48E8-B2DC-59E466300F3D.jpeg
EE2D1E96-0ABE-4E0B-BAC4-FBA70395FB9B.jpeg
77751D1A-503F-47E6-A232-D562ACE5C50A.jpeg
81F2B047-9EA5-4A0D-AFA6-2E90459080C5.jpeg
0ADA95AF-0552-4563-970B-0426B780E564.jpeg
2B19FE60-AA6E-4CE5-85C6-64B009D1DF36.jpeg

I have had this for many years. And for as long as I had it, been trying to get it out of the bottom. On and off again heating in a oven, tapping, in the Florida sun. Never got nowhere until yesterday. Laid out it for its annual sun bath for the day. At the end of the day, gave it a few taps and it moved a mm. HOLY CRAP!!! Some more taps, bangs, torques and out it popped. It was held in by the hide glue from hell in a zero clearance flush fit piece of wood. Now for the butterscotch eye candy

View attachment 1260543View attachment 1260544View attachment 1260545View attachment 1260546View attachment 1260547View attachment 1260548
I’ve some nice stones with the bottoms pulled from stone and still stuck in the box. That is some serious glue when its set.
Beautiful stone!!😀

Luthiers use steam to get hide glue to release. You can rig up a tea pot with some surgical tubing and a ball-inflating needle on the end to deliver steam where you need it. If there is no room for the needle, you can drill needle diameter holes in the wood to deliver it where needed.

Nice. That era produced some reallly good stones, some of my favorites.
Do you know when these were likely produced based on the box? It just came in yesterday and I still need to get it on some 220 grit wet dry at least on one side. This is probably my favorite surface prep.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Do you know when these were likely produced based on the box? It just came in yesterday and I still need to get it on some 220 grit wet dry at least on one side. This is probably my favorite surface prep.
I don't know for sure. For some reason I associate those boxes with the 70's but I could be totally wrong on that. I just know I've had a lot of them and they have all been really good, nice clean stones in both translucent and black.

How are the HB8's packed now? The few retailers I see don't show the box, just the side stamp.

Edit: Found it, blue box with a cutout window now... I wonder when they switched over. I definitely remember seeing new stock ones in that orange box in my lifetime... so into the 80's for sure.

How are the HB8's packed now? The few retailers I see don't show the box, just the side stamp.

Edit: Found it, blue box with a cutout window now... I wonder when they switched over. I definitely remember seeing new stock ones in that orange box in my lifetime... so into the 80's for sure.
Yeah you really have to look pretty hard to find the current production stone in the most recent iteration of the box. At least I thought they were kind of hard to find.

Top Bottom