What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

I do not have the heart to post a picture of my shave gear for today's shave. That's because it would show a picture of a magnificent kamisori, before I dinged it on the faucet. As dings go, it could be worse. It's toward the front, but far enough back that it does not interfere with my toe moves, and far enough forward that it does not interfere with my other moves. I still hate it. It is like a ketchup spot on a Dutch Master painting.

I blame my stressed, burnt out mood, from a particularly intense workday. I'd like to blame the synthetic brush that got a second try today, and continued to irritate me, but that's not rational. The blame goes straight to that Herrenberg guy. I should pick less treasured gear when I'm in a mood like that.

Still, the incident, however horrible, does fit into a plan I've been nurturing. It won't sound like much, but it is for me: I'm going to use tape to hone a razor. I've hated the idea for a long time, but have finally been forced to concede that it might be a good idea, only for repairs on a dinged kamisori, to spare the soft steel while you make a new, clean bevel at the wrong angle, then rip off the tape and make a proper bevel, but with less damage to the soft steel than would have come from making it participate in the whole repair.

I have three razors now that are affected by that decision. I refuse to consider what that may imply about my clumsiness level. The tape arrives Friday.

Oh, and I may be in for June GRUME after all. We'll see. I could have sworn I had already paid for that new mattress that replaced the worn-out back-killing one, but Mr. Credit Card says otherwise.

Still in. Same kit, same results.

I lied about the oak. I counted the rings and it was only 134 years old.

Out of the 18 white oaks that were visible in the first aerial photographic survey of my property in 1931 and were still here in August 2020 (pre-derecho), I only have five healthy ones left. They all were destroyed by the storm. They were pretty large in the 1931 photographs. What a bummer.

I hope you all are having great things happening though. Stay strong. The month is almost over.

GRUME-en On The 25th Day May...
Still In

Shower and watery face lather of TOBS Sandalwood
Bowl lather of sandalwood applied with Fendihan synthetic brush
RR Black Hawk SE razor with new Feather AC Professional blade
Aloe vera gel and routine mix of moisturizers; Pinaud Lime AS

I shaved early this morning, about 10 hours ago. Family activities are just now allowing me to post.

I decided since I was in GRUME that I should be enjoying and revisiting items purchased but rarely used.

I didn't previously like the Hawk SE razor because it felt too harsh on the initial WTG pass. I initially thought the Hawk was too harsh, mostly due to the auditory feedback during the first pass. Today, I interpreted the feedback as "singing" to me. I could feel and hear this light weight aluminum SE razor while shaving and went with it. I decided to ride the guard instead of the cap. In that moment, I found my solution for this razor. Riding the guard solved the puzzle. I got the closest shave yet. To me this is an aggressive razor but after making adjustments, I achieved an excellent shave. Being flexible and relaxed was another milestone in learning to improve my shaving technique. Without the GRUME guidelines, I wouldn't have learned this technique at this time. No pics today.

I am thinking about revisiting the Q Shave razor tomorrow. It was one of the highly rated razors on Amazon when I started this journey!

Good Day! :letterk1:

Last edited:
Still in, 80.6% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S R4, Personna #1
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Tried an "old" (made in Israel) Personna for a change. As far as I can tell, feel and performance are identical to the current (German) production.

Flipped the plate, and used R2 for a comfortable (if not very close) neck shave.

Well I guess on one end I kinda failed but well still in

Prep : hot shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso white in a tube
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Shark Super Chrome (0)

Result :

Today I was supposed to try the last blade of my PIF received 3 month ago, a Feather blade … After several sharp blade showing me I was unable to handle them sharp blade, I took a hard pass, and that would be the failed.

First shave on that Super Chrome I had laying around pretty much felt like the super stainless, little irritation on the throat good shave

GRUME-ing Toward The End Of The Month...

Pre-Shave:
Just lather up, leave it on your face for 3-5 minutes, then rinse and re-lather.
This is generally my pre-shave routine. He explained it much better than I have in prior post...Thanks Dave.

Proraso red cream applied with RR Plissoft brush
Rockwell 6C, plate 2 with Derby SS blade
Aloe Vera, moisture cream and Old Spice AS

Last night I thought about using my Qshave adjustable razor. This morning, I changed my mind and went with the Rockwell. The Derby SS blade is OK but I still want to try other "comfortable" options. I remember I liked a Parker blade last week and Nacets are still my favorite. I was careful about the razor angle and found riding the cap worked best.

Proraso red was chosen because it supposedly has extra moisturizers to condition the skin. It worked good but there are lots of other options that are better in my opinion.

Next month I plan to acquire a few different blades, a couple PAA Ice Cubes, their brush scuttle and Frost Byte soap. I also want to get some Castle Forbes Lime, Pre De Provence Bergamot & Thyme and OPR's Bayrum soaps. I have actually decided that I don't "need" another razor! My choices have been carefully thought out. I think these items should add some balanced alternatives to what I already have.

If I had not been in GRUME this month, my purchases would have been impulsive and all over the place. I would not have focused on what is really important, being mindful of technique and enjoying the whole experience.

It's A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood!
Good Day
5-26-21.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Williams Wednesday! This Gillette Silver Blue is finally showing its age in the red tip Super Speed, but its Last Hurrah was quite good. Paladin Chief and Williams Mug Soap, with Stephan's Lilac to finish. Williams might be the perfect warm weather soap, followed with a light floral or citrus after shave.
Still in restraint.

Still in.

Crown Shave Co. pre-shave
Duke 3 Best
T+S West Indies soap and splash
Karve SS B SB plate w/ a German Wilkinson Sword blade

In the spirit of revisiting razors I haven't used in quite a while, I went back to the CB with a very, very mild B plate (SB). It was an easy DFS+ shave. I'll be using a C plate tomorrow.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Another Williams shave- same GSB blade, same red tip razor. Simpsons M7 synthetic brush, and Booster Island Bay Rum to finish. A long handled synthetic is perfect for mug lathering. And a synth is so easy and convenient- wet the face, wet the brush, and lather away!
Still in.

Still in.

I'm shuffling between some household works, shifting furniture and nothing else.

Lockdown is lifted in my city, and as always the drunkards are lining up the streets (4 lanes) to get their life line.

I'm still 3017ing the Stirling Duke, but recently I was going through the soaps. The Mitchell's scent seemed divine in this hot weather and I almost cheated on 3017.

I ended up grating half of the Mitchell's wool fat soap, since it hasn't been used lately it had shrunk a bit and easy to grate.

I'm getting phenomenal shaves with the Shark Super Chrome blade and I've lost count on it, 8-10 shaves easily.

Thank you @SharpieB for the blade and thank you @Owen Bawn for bringing this blade (or a version of the Shark blade) to my notice via your posts.

It is very smooth and works very well with the Parker Variant Adjustable at 4, 5 settings.

I gave away a bunch of my shave gears as PIF, and sold Omega 10005.

So, my razor count has come down from 5 to 3.

Reaping the benefits of GRUME and enjoying the company of fellow gentlemen.

Top Bottom