What's new

Tabac PIF With(out) a Twist

I've been trying to lock down my travel kit for shaving. In doing so, I've been trying to find the "right" soap to bring along. I have not had much luck with shaving sticks, but have heard good things about the Tabac stick, so I ordered one.

The stick comes in a great heavy-duty container that seems to work well. And the soap? Well, it's a great performer. It was much easier to get a superior lather from it than the other sticks I've tried. And I really liked the feel of the soap.

IMG_9384.jpeg

But (and they're always a "but" in these stories)....

The scent is way too intense for me. (I actually don't mind the scent itself. It wouldn't be my first choice for a soap, but it's not too bad.). The stick stunk up my travel kit. I thought about seeing if I could "air" it out, but the result of leaving it open was only to perfume my bathroom. (Much to my wife's displeasure.)

So I've decided to pass this stick on to someone else via PIF. However, I really like the stick container, so I'm going to hold onto it and re-purpose it for other soaps. I'll be sending the soap in a ziplock bag and the winner will have to supply their own container.

IMG_9385.jpeg

The rules are pretty straightforward. I'd prefer for this to go to someone who doesn't currently use Tabac, but I'm going to have people go on the honor system. CONUS shipping is included in the PIF, but if you're outside the U.S. and want to pay for shipping, you're welcome to enter.

Just say you're in and you're entered. I'll keep the PIF open through Sunday at noon Eastern time, but reserve the right to end it early if no one has entered for more than a 24 hour period. Once I've closed the PIF, I'll use random.org to choose a winner.

Good luck!

Bob

Last edited:
Muhle sticks are a nice size for travelling. Good soap. The Sea Buckthorn is nice: a mild, creamy orange kind of scent.

If you really want to save weight & space fill up a lipstick container with your soap of choice. Anything hard enough to hold together. Soft croaps won't work so well.

PS: the Tabac scent, like Arko, really does calm down a lot in time.

Muhle sticks are a nice size for travelling. Good soap. The Sea Buckthorn is nice: a mild, creamy orange kind of scent.

If you really want to save weight & space fill up a lipstick container with your soap of choice. Anything hard enough to hold together. Soft croaps won't work so well.

PS: the Tabac scent, like Arko, really does calm down a lot in time.
I've tried the Sea Buckthorn AS balm and like it a lot. My one experience with a Muhle soap sample was "meh" so I haven't thought to try a stick.

I was thinking I'd put a puck of Haslinger into the Tabac container. Fairly low cost, no overwhelming scent, and another good performer in all sorts of water.

Thanks for the info on the scent.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I recommend that you shove some Palmolive stick in that tube/holder thingy (after washing it several times and airing it out and letting a skunk spray it and repeating the process) because Palmolive is a VERY good performer for me....hard part might be finding some though!

VERY nice PIF, obviously not in, as I have a puck of it I need to PIF.

I'm in! I've been hesitant to try it because of the smell's reputation, but if you'll be getting use of the tube I'll give it a go. I won't feel bad about not liking it then. :c9:

FarmerTan

I'm in! I've been hesitant to try it because of the smell's reputation, but if you'll be getting use of the tube I'll give it a go. I won't feel bad about not liking it then. :c9:
It's not as bad as I made out, the smell. I actually like it some days. And love it others.

Then hate it.

I either have multiple personalities, or that soap does?

Yep. Your guess is as good as mine!

It's not as bad as I made out, the smell. I actually like it some days. And love it others.

Then hate it.

I either have multiple personalities, or that soap does?

Yep. Your guess is as good as mine!
No guessing needed, imo. When freshly opened, the smell is way, way too strong, like putting your nose into an open bottle of full strength Chanel perfume. I find after 6 weeks or so, it fades away to the point where it's OK. It just needs to be put aside and not used for a while. If you keep using it, don't blame me if your wife complains.

FarmerTan

No guessing needed, imo. When freshly opened, the smell is way, way too strong, like putting your nose into an open bottle of full strength Chanel perfume. I find after 6 weeks or so, it fades away to the point where it's OK. It just needs to be put aside and not used for a while. If you keep using it, don't blame me if your wife complains.
I'm thinking this gent just said I have multiple personality disorder.

I'm in, always wanted to try tabac. I actually have a small bottle of the cologne and don't mind it, so pretty sure the soap scent won't be too much different.

Last edited:
I'm thinking this gent just said I have multiple personality disorder.
If so, it has nothing to do with your shaving soap. NIH studies do suggest that drinking alcohol reduces one's senses of taste and smell, especially heavy drinking. Not that I have any personal experience to back that up.:cool:

Top Bottom