What's new

Thinking Of Getting A Chubby 3

Don't tempt me 😝
You are in the wrong place

Pre-bloom:
97F7A96F-1C40-4683-830B-12A92C660AFB.jpeg

Post Bloom:
14B5260C-CBFE-432B-B0A1-40CB9857FDFC.jpeg

As soft as my Super Badger, with a nice massage feeling. The knot is absolutely perfection

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The last time I looked the Chubby 3 in Best and in Super were being offered at an almost unbelievable discount on Amazon. Is it still so?

The last time I looked the Chubby 3 in Best and in Super were being offered at an almost unbelievable discount on Amazon. Is it still so?

yes. US buyers can get a CH3 in Best for 139 shipped and in super for 199 shipped. Unbelievable. I paid a lot more in Europe and from Simpsons directly. Alrossa is not shipping Chubbies internationally

Any chance you can post a pic of it right next to your Chubby 2?
Your wish is my command. The CH2 is a dwarf next to the CH3. Go ahead and pull the trigger already. 139 shipped and you can return it. It’s a no brainer. Thank me later for the mind blowing life changing experience!
image.jpg

How much bigger of a grip is it compared the CH2? Does the knot feel twice the size on the face?

Many people Find the CH3 handle uncomfortable because of the large girth. I hold it with a 4-finger grip and find it quite easy to grip. I have small-medium hands.
The knot feels much bigger than the CH2. I don’t know if twice or less, I know that prior to the CH3, I felt the CH2 was a big brush, and now I find it to be a medium sized brush

to be clear, it’s not the knot size (only) that makes up for the difference (31mm CH3 vs 29mm CH2). The CH3 has a 55-56mm loft vs 50-51 in the CH2. The CH2 is more tightly packed and a truly compact knot with less bloom/splay than the CH3. I feel the CH2 is denser

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I recently purchased a Chubby 2 in best and found it a tiny bit smaller then I expected. I'll be using it for the first time either tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm already thinking of getting a Chubby 3.

What are the pros and cons of the CH3? Is it THAT much bigger than the CH2? Are there any key differences between the CH2 and CH3 other than size?

The CH3 is much larger than the CH2. That's the difference. Well, that and price.

I like the larger knot size of the CH3 and even more so the larger handle size.

You may already know Simpson Best Badger varies a lot. My CH2 in Best is a hugely different knot from my CH3 in Best. The CH3 is a lot like Super Badger (actually softer than some Super Badger, and kinda floppy).

My CH3 in Manchurian is one of my favorite brushes. Whether all Simpson Manchurians are as nice as mine is an open question.

CH3 brushes are significantly more expensive sometimes, but there are bargains to be found on Amazon and on the BST. My CH3 in Best came from Amazon and is a good brush (not a shedder at all).

Happy shaves,

Jim

The CH2 is a dwarf next to the CH3.

Yep! That's why I had called it "a giant as an object" in @Pedigree 's former thread about both brushes and had pointed him to the pics of my Chubby 3 Super next to a bowl of Tabac and slightly splayed on it's lid as I found that most side-by-side pictures can only give a remote idea about the absurdly awesome mass of the Chubby 3. But your picture above is perfect in that regard.

Here's both handles in a different arrangement 'side-by-side':

210521_14281-Simpson-Chubby2Silvertip-Chubby3Super.jpg

Many people Find the CH3 handle uncomfortable because of the large girth. I hold it with a 4-finger grip and find it quite easy to grip. I have small-medium hands.

I have medium sized hands and initially found the handle a bit too bulky, but it turned out it was just a question of getting used to. Once I used it some 3 or 4 times I had developed a habit and it soon felt like natural to hold. I use the same 3-finger grip I form with my other Chubbies.

@Pedigree , I also think you must get a Chubby 3 .. NOW! Otherwise it will be a ghost that will haunt you forevermore. And you've have proven superhuman strength resisting the SBAD for 3 days! 3 days is like eternity when it comes to SBAD and SBAD per se is not bad. 😸

If I may ask: Have you used your Chubby 2 in the meantime? And if, do you wish for a bigger knot?

linty1

My wallet cries.
Does the skritch go away in a Chubby best? I have a ch2 and was disappointed in the skritch and its been put to the side. Also... a chubby 2 not big enough? Holy.. but impressive!

Does the skritch go away in a Chubby best? I have a ch2 and was disappointed in the skritch and its been put to the side.

No but halfway yes also. Not talking about many years of use or tips of very fine hair, which will slightly bend over a long time, the tips of badgers don't soften, but the knot loosens up and therefore the hair will typically be perceived as less stiff and pointy then. Also lather release will improve with the decreasing density, which can add further to perceived softness.
This is what Simpson also means when they state "We would consider a period of two to three months or approximately 50 shaves to allow a Simpson shaving brush to properly break itself in." - see this article from Simpson

Also getting used to helps experiencing scritch as not as that scritchy anymore. :wink2:

Top Bottom