What's new

Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird

Got my Blackbird today. Looks great! Feels super light! Can’t wait to give it a try.

Attachments

• 9B38A8FD-6AE3-4F58-AA30-30030FF1A5CE.jpeg
    9B38A8FD-6AE3-4F58-AA30-30030FF1A5CE.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 57

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I had my maiden voyage today with the Ti Bird. Remarkable shaver. I paired it with a second-use Feather and it yielded fantastic results. It differs from the SS version (obviously), and I actually felt MORE blade with Ti (unlike many who have reported). I need a few more shaves on it to render a final ‘smoothness’ verdict. I am also going to use my 101mm SS handle with Ti head. I adore the longer handle.
DD56991D-5650-430C-A5AD-B64E20467A57.jpeg

When I ordered the Ti Blackbird a few weeks ago I was not sure I would like it, as it's a huge departure from what I typically use as a daily shaver. Initially I had a few really great shaves with it, but decided to sell it because it just isn't something I could see myself using daily. I took pictures for the BST ad and everything, but for whatever reason never got around to actually listing it. A few days later I got a wild hair and decided to give it one last shave before selling it.

Here we are a couple weeks later, and not only do I still have the BB, but it is now one of, if not my absolute #1 DE I've ever used. I've really come to enjoy the efficiency and the fact that it is not at all harsh or irritating despite the positive blade exposure. Although it's not quite as carefree as what I would typically grab to knock out my morning shaves, after giving it an honest chance I am now completely comfortable using it on auto pilot without having to give a lot of thought. I think, ironically, I've been getting more comfortable shaves using the BB than I have at times with other more mild razors.

It is time to do some experimenting and see if I can in fact use it as a daily shaver over many consecutive days (if I can put the Vector aside for that long). If so, which I suspect may be the case, the Ti BB could very well be the only DE I keep.

I'm sure there's a moral nestled somewhere in that story, just not quite sure what it is yet.

proxy.php

When I ordered the Ti Blackbird a few weeks ago I was not sure I would like it, as it's a huge departure from what I typically use as a daily shaver. Initially I had a few really great shaves with it, but decided to sell it because it just isn't something I could see myself using daily. I took pictures for the BST ad and everything, but for whatever reason never got around to actually listing it. A few days later I got a wild hair and decided to give it one last shave before selling it.

Here we are a couple weeks later, and not only do I still have the BB, but it is now one of, if not my absolute #1 DE I've ever used. I've really come to enjoy the efficiency and the fact that it is not at all harsh or irritating despite the positive blade exposure. Although it's not quite as carefree as what I would typically grab to knock out my morning shaves, after giving it an honest chance I am now completely comfortable using it on auto pilot without having to give a lot of thought. I think, ironically, I've been getting more comfortable shaves using the BB than I have at times with other more mild razors.

It is time to do some experimenting and see if I can in fact use it as a daily shaver over many consecutive days (if I can put the Vector aside for that long). If so, which I suspect may be the case, the Ti BB could very well be the only DE I keep.

I'm sure there's a moral nestled somewhere in that story, just not quite sure what it is yet.

proxy.php
This has been somewhat similar to my experience with the Ti Blackbird. I was used to using very mild razors, Timeless .68, Yates M, Karbe B etc, then I tried the Blackbird in SS. I got pretty bad irritation on my first use as I was using it similarly to the mild razors. My next shave I did just a WTG and XTG pass, was very careful to avoid using pressure and got a great shave. I ended up selling the SS because I heard the Ti was restocking and that the weight savings help to make it smoother. Since then I've loved the Ti so much that I've gotten rid of like 5 razors from my collection. A minimalistic WTG and XTG shave gets me a great shave with the Ti Bird.

Love the look, weight and cool factor of the razor, however I will be sending mine back to Blackland. I don't think of myself as a picky consumer (first time returning a shave product), but I just can't get past how sticky the razor feels on my face. I have tried 7 or 8 top shelf soaps and the razor just doesn't glide for me. I have tried changing the angle and pressure, but when I compare it to either of my GC's or Lupo, it's night and day. I did one final comparison today (13th shave) and got the same results. The .84 GC was slicker on bare skin than the Blackbird was on freshly lathered soap. I don't know if the brushed finish has much to do with the results. Many razors I find "slick" have short top caps with a radius near the blade that keeps most of the cap from contacting your face. The Blackbird IMO has a pretty long and nearly straight taper off the top of the cap to blade. I would guess there is about 1/4" of the cap that makes contact ahead of the blade. Just creates too much drag for me. No issue with the finished shave results, but the journey could be a little more enjoyable.

Having about 30 razors, upwards of 150 soaps and well over a dozen brands of blades, has given me enough combinations that I know what works best for my shaving style and skin. I wish everybody who owns the razor nothing but enjoyment and the company success.

Attachments

• Blackbird.jpg
    Blackbird.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 29
Love the look, weight and cool factor of the razor, however I will be sending mine back to Blackland. I don't think of myself as a picky consumer (first time returning a shave product), but I just can't get past how sticky the razor feels on my face. I have tried 7 or 8 top shelf soaps and the razor just doesn't glide for me. I have tried changing the angle and pressure, but when I compare it to either of my GC's or Lupo, it's night and day. I did one final comparison today (13th shave) and got the same results. The .84 GC was slicker on bare skin than the Blackbird was on freshly lathered soap. I don't know if the brushed finish has much to do with the results. Many razors I find "slick" have short top caps with a radius near the blade that keeps most of the cap from contacting your face. The Blackbird IMO has a pretty long and nearly straight taper off the top of the cap to blade. I would guess there is about 1/4" of the cap that makes contact ahead of the blade. Just creates too much drag for me. No issue with the finished shave results, but the journey could be a little more enjoyable.

Having about 30 razors, upwards of 150 soaps and well over a dozen brands of blades, has given me enough combinations that I know what works best for my shaving style and skin. I wish everybody who owns the razor nothing but enjoyment and the company success.

I had the exact same experience with the Henson Ti22, but not with the Blackbird. I do agree that it has something to do with the large surface area making contact with the skin. You gave the BB way more of a fair shot than I did the Ti22, it was just way too distracting and took away from the shave for me so I get where you’re coming from. Too bad it didn’t work out for you, it’s a great razor.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Everyone has their own preferences and YMMV definitely applies. ;)

I've been on this Ti BB now going on 3mo. At first I thought it too light but now using my Rocnel I find it too heavy so the Ti has spoiled me. I get exceptional shaves with it even though the blade feel is somewhat aggressive compared to the Rocnel. But we each have our own likes.......

I turned out to be one of those rare people who doesn't love the Blackbird Ti as well. Ordered one on May 15th, gave it a solid 20 or so shaves and ended up sending it back late last week. Appreciate Shane's customer service. I really like the look and feel of the BB and the weight, but I kept having to make more passes than my face (and time management) appreciate. I tried it with several blades (Feather yellow is my go-to, Kai, Nacet, the blades they ship with it. Never got it where I needed it. I strongly prefer a more aggressive razor, basically.

Happy to have tried it, and I really wanted to like it, but couldn't justify keeping it. Basically the same thing happened with the Vector. I may end up giving the Era a try when it is released if they start offering a base plate combination that ups the efficiency.

I had some curiosity about the Henson Ti with the aggressive plates, since someone mentioned their razors earlier, but even if they come back in stock, I am thinking that probably isn't going to be anywhere near the efficiency I am seeking.

I turned out to be one of those rare people who doesn't love the Blackbird Ti as well. Ordered one on May 15th, gave it a solid 20 or so shaves and ended up sending it back late last week. Appreciate Shane's customer service. I really like the look and feel of the BB and the weight, but I kept having to make more passes than my face (and time management) appreciate. I tried it with several blades (Feather yellow is my go-to, Kai, Nacet, the blades they ship with it. Never got it where I needed it. I strongly prefer a more aggressive razor, basically.

Happy to have tried it, and I really wanted to like it, but couldn't justify keeping it. Basically the same thing happened with the Vector. I may end up giving the Era a try when it is released if they start offering a base plate combination that ups the efficiency.

I had some curiosity about the Henson Ti with the aggressive plates, since someone mentioned their razors earlier, but even if they come back in stock, I am thinking that probably isn't going to be anywhere near the efficiency I am seeking.

Have you tried the stainless version yet? Might fit your need for something more aggressive. Beyond that, I don't see us making a razor much more aggressive than the Blackbird which is already on the upper end of the scale.

Top Bottom