What's new

Corn Razor Tidbit

In case you didn't know, we have been having a little discussion on the corn razor in the thread titled "Anyone ever seen one of these before?" I have been aware of this subset of safety razors for some time now, but never had the inkling to really delve into them. For those of you not aware, the function of the corn razor is to "shave" away corns which have developed on the foot. Appealing, no?

B&B member, St. George, had acquired the following razor and was wanting some info.

attachment.php

I shared a number of examples of corn razors for comparison's sake.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Anyway, while doing my research I came across a couple more interesting corn razors which I wanted to share in their own thread.

Here they are! These corn razors were introduced way back in 1991. :biggrin: That's right, 1991. And after you see the pictures I will do my very best Paul Harvey imitation and tell you the "rest of the story". :wink:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

These razors were manufactured in Mapleton, Illinois and featured sterling silver heads and accept wedge blades. Now, some of the old-timers here might recognize the mention of Mapleton as an oft mentioned razor aficionado hails from that very city. And, yes, they are one in the same. The manufacturer of these two corn razors is none other than ...

... Phillip L. Krumholz, author of the much referred to Complete Gillette Collector's Handbook!

And now you know the rest of the story.

:cool:

Interesting.

I thought corn razors were short straights? I guess I must have had my terminology mixed up.

Somehow, I don't think I would want to get a used corn razor... it just seems too... eww... Although I don't know that I would want a new one either :lol:.

Interesting.

I thought corn razors were short straights? I guess I must have had my terminology mixed up.

Somehow, I don't think I would want to get a used corn razor... it just seems too... eww... Although I don't know that I would want a new one either :lol:.

The older one were short straights. I just pictured those because they were similar to St. George's.

But, I was surprised seeing that Krumholz had developed some, too.

The older one were short straights. I just pictured those because they were similar to St. George's.

But, I was surprised seeing that Krumholz had developed some, too.

Oh so the old ones were also corn razors, just corn straights rather than corn safety razors. :lol:

Makes me not want a corn straight anymore. :eek:

I had been using a bare blade to trim calluses since I was a gymnast in the 70's. There were some Gillette DE blades in my medicine cabinet for this purpose, before I stated DE shaving! I might try to track down one of those!

Dave

I've always thought there had to be a better way to get silk off of an ear of corn. Who knew they made razors for that? :lol:

What next? Depilatories for potatoes? Autostrops for apples?

Thanks, AsylumGuido!

Top Bottom