What's new

Gillette TTO: Blade Gap vs Blade Exposure on Different Settings

Like the title suggests I'm curious to know how blade gap and exposure increase as the numbers go up from the lowest setting to the highest setting. Has anyone ever seen a table with these measurements for a vintage Gillette tto like a slim or fatboy?

There's a gap table in the wiki, not too sure of its accuracy. :001_unsur

Thanks for the link. I'm looking for a table that has both blade gap and blade exposure for the different settings of a single TTO though. I've never that posted before, but there are a lot of tto fans here, and I'm hoping that somebody has measured this at some point over the years.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for the link. I'm looking for a table that has both blade gap and blade exposure for the different settings of a single TTO though. I've never that posted before, but there are a lot of tto fans here, and I'm hoping that somebody has measured this at some point over the years.

I'd like to see that myself.

I'd like to see that myself.

Voila:

proxy.php

Source: 😃

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Voila:

proxy.php

Source: 😃

Very interesting. Thanks for this table showing the blade gap and blade exposure of the Gillette Slim and the Tatara Muramasa adjustable razors.

I'm assuming the numbers are similar for my Gillette Executive (having used the Slim, too).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Very interesting. Thanks for this table showing the blade gap and blade exposure of the Gillette Slim and the Tatara Muramasa adjustable razors.

I'm assuming the numbers are similar for my Gillette Executive (having used the Slim, too).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I can say without reservation that I have no idea. 😋

Even the specs above were taken from a post purporting to have an internal company marketing memo from the era with these measurements listed. I saw the page that the data comes from, and it certainly seems plausible, but it's impossible to know for sure.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It also just occurred to me that this doesn't take the width of the old carbon steel blades from the 50's. Were they standardized at 22mm like modern blades? Since they were an American company it would be an odd choice. They might have been wider or narrower than modern blades. Tiny changes in blade width translates into blade exposure, which in turn makes a giant difference in razor efficiency/aggressiveness. It's quite possible modern blades make the vintage adjustables perform very differently than intended. Just a thought. I don't have any idea.

Anybody have a micrometer and a vintage Gillette carbon steel blade?

Never mind. It's been done. They were basically the same. I don't think we're supposed to link to outside blogs, so I'll take a picture of the content. The table was compiled by Giovanni Arbate the former proprietor of Razor and Brush if anybody wants to use GoogleFu to check the source doc.

proxy.php

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1622809701837.png

Never mind. It's been done. They were basically the same. I don't think we're supposed to link to outside blogs, so I'll take a picture of the content. The table was compiled by Giovanni Arbate the former proprietor of Razor and Brush if anybody wants to use GoogleFu to check the source doc.

proxy.php

Wouldn't it be cool to have more of the modern blades added to this?

I use only the SI blades (Polsilver and Wizamet) so my interest is primarily in them, but I have friends.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom