What's new

noob questions about shaving sticks

i think ive not got enough shaving sticks to last me and my grandchildren a lifetime lool 😂

p.s i dont have grandchildren yet lool 😂

A totally random thought: Ian Fleming tells us in From Russia With Love that James Bond uses Palmolive shaving cream. It comes up as he reflects on the tool kit given him by Q Branch. Apparently the silencer for his Beretta automatic is concealed in the "cap" of the cream. Now I don't know about 1956-57, but the cap on a tube of toothpaste or shaving cream is pretty darn small. Unless the tube is a very special item produced by Q Branch, that cap would not conceal something like a silencer.

Perhaps Fleming meant the Palmolive shave stick??? If you take the cap off of that, there could be room inside to replace the soap stick with something like a small pistol silencer. Still a special item, but easier to rig up.

Yet another reason to like shave sticks . . .?

so you know how you can use a shaving stick, say for example an arko one and you can mould it to fit nicely at the bottom of a shaving bowl/mug etc, i was wondering whats the largest showing bowl/mug you lot have put it in?

ive got a bit of a bigger copper shaving bowl which has a diameter of 17cm (see pics in thread below)

A totally random thought: Ian Fleming tells us in From Russia With Love that James Bond uses Palmolive shaving cream. It comes up as he reflects on the tool kit given him by Q Branch. Apparently the silencer for his Beretta automatic is concealed in the "cap" of the cream. Now I don't know about 1956-57, but the cap on a tube of toothpaste or shaving cream is pretty darn small. Unless the tube is a very special item produced by Q Branch, that cap would not conceal something like a silencer.

Perhaps Fleming meant the Palmolive shave stick??? If you take the cap off of that, there could be room inside to replace the soap stick with something like a small pistol silencer. Still a special item, but easier to rig up.

Yet another reason to like shave sticks . . .?
way before my time mate lol

I find it quite surprising no one mentioned TOBS Sandalwood stick. IMHO, it's excellent in every aspect:

â–º Soap performance: great lather, excellent slickness and wonderful (tight) post-shave feel.

â–º Scent: just about right in terms of strength and a great fragrance (obviously if you like this type of Fougere scents)

â–º Package/usability: perfect travel option and it looks really nice, too. I prefer this newer black glossy packaging to an old yellow one.

Bonus: I also use this TOBS stick as a "pre-shave" sometimes, just glide it over my wet face before I apply lather, works a treat every time.

And BTW, the price is very reasonable too.

1621629805102.png

Reactions: saj
I'm a big fan of shave sticks. I have shaved with them exclusively for about 3-4 years now.

You don't have to limit yourself to ready made shave sticks. All soaps in every form can become shave sticks. Pucks can be sliced or grated and stuffed into twist bottom shave stick tubes. Soft croaps can be left with the top off for a few weeks until they've firmed up enough to be packed into a shave stick tube. I buy twist bottom tubes at Maggards, but you can find them all over. They usually cost about $2.00. Here is a picture of Stirling soaps that I converted into shave sticks:

proxy.php

I found a couple of lesser known ones from sopwith soap heavily discounted at stonefieldshave.

Attachments

• E5CD0E92-EC9B-41C1-935E-DEFBA394ECF0.jpeg
    E5CD0E92-EC9B-41C1-935E-DEFBA394ECF0.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 13
  • A7D77398-161D-4F2C-B7BD-52D1191BF584.jpeg
    A7D77398-161D-4F2C-B7BD-52D1191BF584.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 3FD90592-1E7A-41FF-AF9A-B4B8E9824349.jpeg
    3FD90592-1E7A-41FF-AF9A-B4B8E9824349.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 9A0B77F9-B7E7-42A3-BEC2-FA181A783CAB.jpeg
    9A0B77F9-B7E7-42A3-BEC2-FA181A783CAB.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 11
Got around to using the boots shaving stick, actually quite good to be fair but I prefer Arko, this boots one doesn't have that strong of a scent, bit of a stronger scent and I would've enjoyed it more tbh

I realized during this morning's shave with the La Toja stick that, since I face lather, I could apply the soap only to my throat, lather it there on my brush, then move up to apply lather from the brush to my cheeks and lower lip. There's no real need to rub the stick anywhere but my throat.

I didn't do it this morning, and I don't know if I will. But it's possible.

anyone used the erasmic shaving soap in the bowl? Is it any good?

Grabbed some today

@pjgh i really liked the erasmic shaving soap, think anyone who likes that coconut scent will like it, not the strongest scent but nice enough for a couple of quid tbf

so I thought I'd use the palmolive shaving cream today, this stuff is amazing, easy to lather, lovely scent and a lot of lather from not much cream too

defo has to be up there with my favourites like arko,
In fact might actually give arko a run for it's money lool 😆

I wanted to ask how does the palmolive shaving cream compare to the palmolive shaving stick?

haven't used the stick for many years

so I finally used the made in pakistan shaving cream I got called 'touch me'

not much scent but it's actually a solid performer

Performance wise it kinda reminded me of the palmolive shaving cream, which just used for my previous head shave

Its a small tube but for £2 it's nice to try out a pakistani shaving product

IMG_20211112_133624.jpg

Top Bottom