What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I'm out :( I joined a pif from graydog. It was too good to at least not try... I'm sorry.
Whatever happens in the pif I will continue with the grume personally, it will good for me.
Temptations abound, especially if you're relatively new to GRUME and haven't gotten the blinders settled into place quite yet. Please do play along from home, and we'll hope to see you next month. Feel free to check in here occasionally if you're so inclined - it helps the process.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Doti B
3) @MtView
4) @wmadoty
5) @Herrenberg
6) @La Malice
7) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
8) @henrickd - GRUYERE
9) Heavy_Metal_Hound - out (5/9: Ever Ready SE razor)
10) @Roedeer
11) @Chef455
12) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
13) @Owen Bawn
14) @Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
15) @Schnitzel52
16) @‘Bout Time
17) @AZBronco
18) @Cahoots
19) @SeinfeldNoir
20) @tjsgarden
21) @pdieten - GRUYERE
22) @Timeclo
23) @Kyle89
24) @Sinnbad11
25) @Cino
26) @redrako
27) Sandorfi - out (5/3: Soaps and aftershaves)
28) SharpieB - out (5/10: GC .84-P plate)
29) @Sotiris_A
30) @Tomo
31) @FL shaver
32) linty1 - out (5/12: PIF entry)

Last edited:
Still in.

Pre-Shave: None,
Lather: Soap Commander Endurance,
Brush: Omega Crimson 10108 Boar,
Razor: Maggard V3 Barberpole,
Blade: Super-Max Super Platinum (1),
Post-shave: Avon Spicy,

Lovely shave with a well broken in, big Omega barbershop style brush.

As we approach Arko Thursday, Omega boars always remind me of how simple and ecomical getting a great shave can be.

As we approach Arko Thursday, Omega boars always remind me of how simple and ecomical getting a great shave can be.

Truth. I'm thankful I was gifted a pair of Simpson brushes for my birthday this year, but I can't say I like them more than the pair of Omegas I bought for like 13 bucks total once they were fully broken in. Quite the difference in cost, though the Simpsons school them in craftsmanship.

Still in.

Pre-Shave: None,
Lather: Soap Commander Endurance,
Brush: Omega Crimson 10108 Boar,
Razor: Maggard V3 Barberpole,
Blade: Super-Max Super Platinum (1),
Post-shave: Avon Spicy,

Lovely shave with a well broken in, big Omega barbershop style brush.

I have really come to like SC Endurance.

Still in.

Crown Shave Co. pre-shave
Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB /German Wilkinson Sword blade
PAA Atomic Rocket brush - I don't think I've used that in maybe ever
OA Stay Traditional soap
Lucky Tiger splash

Good shave but my BBS isn't lasting the usual 10-12 hours. A disturbance in the force or maybe I'm not as good as I thought I was when under time pressure 🤔 ?

Still in.

Crown Shave Co. pre-shave
Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB /German Wilkinson Sword blade
PAA Atomic Rocket brush - I don't think I've used that in maybe ever
OA Stay Traditional soap
Lucky Tiger splash

Good shave but my BBS isn't lasting the usual 10-12 hours. A disturbance in the force or maybe I'm not as good as I thought I was when under time pressure 🤔 ?

My vote is the time pressure you are feeling has caused you to ignore the force. Use the force @MtView, use the force!

With that sexy razor the force should be strong with you.

On The Twelfth Day Of GRUME...Still In!

Pre-Shave: Hot water splashes and Cremo Cooling
Viking The Emperor with Nacet blade(2)
MWF
Fendrihan Synthetic brush

Summary
The Viking Emperor was one of the first razors I bought from Amazon. It is big and heavy but well made. I used the # 2 setting. I now prefer a lighter and smaller razor. Live and learn.
I am a careful shaver. I know I shouldn't say this but I haven't cut myself yet while shaving. I DID cut a finger (not bad) trying to get a blade out of the paper wrapper!
The shave was great. My prior concerns about irritation or sensitivity problems has proven unfounded.

I have some Arko still in the wrapper. The first use is planned for tomorrow. I am thinking about rubbing it on my face and work it in with a brush???
ARKO THURSDAY IS TOMORROW!

Good Day!
:letterk1:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I keep notebooks where I write things that catch my eye when I'm reading. I've done it for over 30 years. Give my kids something to burn when I'm gone...

Anyway, I was reading through an old notebook this morning and I came upon this quote which I believe originated with the Roman philosopher Gaius Musonius Rufus. I think it speaks to what the goal of the GRUME is for many of us- or for me, anyway. It seems good advice in particular for those times when you seem to fail and wash out of the GRUME by making a purchase. We seek progress rather than perfection. This may be a summary of a paragraph or a paraphrase of what he wrote rather than a direct quote. It wasn't clear in my notebook.

"... and so, daily we must prepare to battle our appetites [desires]. And some days we will lose. No matter-- the battle itself makes us stronger, so long as we never quit trying. Self mastery is not a state one achieves. It is a skill one hones."

That’s brilliant.
i just started a book about Marcus Aurelius and his Meditations. Similar mindset.

Anyway. Still in.
13EF5B0C-CB19-41FF-9D6A-0DF40F75630B.jpeg

The bowl contains Williams soap. One of my mixed hair brushes applied it. Shaved with the Slim and a Spoiler (3).

The wife went thrifting one day and came back with a gift for me, probably more related to my coin collection than the contents of the bottle. Nonetheless I’m not going to look the gift horse in the mouth.

This is not the greatest aftershave in the world. This is only a Tribute.

Top Bottom