What's new

My review of Speick Cream

Having used Speick cream for the first time this morning, I must say that I wholeheartedly agree.

Super easy to lather. Protection and glide felt better than Mogno soap, which is high praise. We will see what happens after a week's use each day but it may even dethrone the reigning champion, Cella Extra Extra Bio.

My tastes must have matured. It does not strike me as quite so medicinal as I remember the stick being.

An absolute winner. And a steal to boot.

I am a newbie when it comes to cream, and am curious if there is anything that can compete with this on a dollar-for-dollar basis.
TOBS aloe vera for me is a stunning cream that has superior performance and better post-shave compared to what I call baseline TOBS which like 70% of their lineup falls into. 30% are a little better because they have better extracts or ingredients in their formulations. It's discontinued unfortunately but it'd be a close competitor and I definitely prefer the aloe vera scent over the lavender. You can still find it around though.

TOBS aloe vera for me is a stunning cream that has superior performance and better post-shave compared to what I call baseline TOBS which like 70% of their lineup falls into. 30% are a little better because they have better extracts or ingredients in their formulations. It's discontinued unfortunately but it'd be a close competitor and I definitely prefer the aloe vera scent over the lavender. You can still find it around though.
+1 Not sure why TOBS would discontinue one of their best creams. Maybe didn't sell as well. Who knows? Will have to try Speick, and see how it compares.

+1 Not sure why TOBS would discontinue one of their best creams. Maybe didn't sell as well. Who knows? Will have to try Speick, and see how it compares.
Its probably sales unfortunately. Not a lot of people knew about it from what I could tell. For some reason people really love their 'classic scents' or their wood scents. Ironically, these were often my least enjoyed. Probably a demographic difference haha. Speick is definitely great and can highly recommend if you like TOBS Aloe Vera. The scent is better than TOBS lavender too imo. Not a huge tub and not extremely expensive either so you don't invest too much either way.

Used to be my favorite, until we moved, and I can't get it anymore. For some reason even amazon won't ship this (within the EU), they only ship the "men active" cream. Same for the after shave balm. It is a shame...
But, Cella Aloe tub to the rescue. Excellent cream, and amazon ships it :straight:

One thing I don't get, I have the men active cream and soap too. The scent could not be more different. One is citrusy the other reminds me of earl gray tea. Why would Speick do this? :)

If that's the Speick Men shaving cream, it might be the beeswax ingredient. It should clean up with warmer water. At least, I haven't seen a residue remaining.

The easiest way to clean the brush after that,
is to lather up with a cream or soap which doesn't leave a sticky residue.

But then, it occurs that I could leave out the first step
and just only lather with creams and soaps which don't leave any residue.

Speick leaves a sticky residue on my brush,
which I can't wash off with just cold water alone.

That's a deal breaker for me.
what is wrong with lukewarm water?

I submerge the brush into clean water (in the same mug that I use for soaking), then rinse under running water. Never had any residue in any of my brushes this way. Rarely I need to repeat the cycle twice to get them 100% clean, but that is OCD, one round would suffice for most people...

The easiest way to clean the brush after that,
is to lather up with a cream or soap which doesn't leave a sticky residue.

But then, it occurs that I could leave out the first step
and just only lather with creams and soaps which don't leave any residue.

Just trying to be helpful. I think Speick cream is really good and the small amount of beeswax seems harmless. Rinsing with warmer water is easy enough.

I swirl my brush into the palm of my hand under the faucet
until soap or cream no longer appears, and then I shake out the water.

The only thing wrong with a cream which requires anything more complicated than that,
even to the extent of merely having to use lukewarm water,
is that it reminds me that I have other creams which are easier to clean.

Old Spice is easy to clean.
Also Palmolive, TOBS, T&H, and Castle Forbes.
Palmolive feels sticky to my hand when I'm swirling the brush under the faucet,
but when I shake out the brush, the bristles don't clump at all,
and that's my requirement as far as ease of cleaning goes.

I swirl my brush into the palm of my hand under the faucet
until soap or cream no longer appears, and then I shake out the water.

The only thing wrong with a cream which requires anything more complicated than that,
even to the extent of merely having to use lukewarm water,
is that it reminds me that I have other creams which are easier to clean.

Old Spice is easy to clean.
Also Palmolive, TOBS, T&H, and Castle Forbes.
Palmolive feels sticky to my hand when I'm swirling the brush under the faucet,
but when I shake out the brush, the bristles don't clump at all,
and that's my requirement as far as ease of cleaning goes.
I mean fair enough, but you are the only person I’ve ever heard of having this issue. For me it was like every other cream. Gentle rinsing of the brush was all it took. In fact, not a single product has been difficult to clean for me.

I don't know if the product has changed over time, but I went through a few tubes of it years ago. I always rinsed my brushes with warm water from the tap and never had any residue from it whatsoever. Rinsing brushes with cold water seems a bit wacky but whatever...seems like a possible self-made problem here.

Top Bottom