What's new

Epiphany--I like mild razors!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I ordered Henson AL13 "Medium", let's see if I will like it. Usually I go with the more aggressive razors.

For years I used the R41, but noticed a mid-aggressive razor like the Game Changer .84 or Outlaw are efficient without being over the top aggressive.

I agree though, another bad habit that developed is that efficiency is often seen in an AGGRESSIVE = EFFICIENT way. It doesn't have to, but more aggressive razors make shaving easier, IMO. Very mild ones require often very exact angles to shave nicely.

I believe many people find their favorite razor design somewhere in the middle, but yeah, for some reason there is a trend for ever more aggressive razors. Maybe it's a primal, juvenile and atavistic thing in the style of "look at me, I mastered the secret of steel, this wicked edge!" Just speculating, no insults meant to anyone. Would be interesting to figure out how this trend started, why and where it lead. Maybe we will see a reverse soon.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I very quickly in my journey caught on to the fact that my face cannot handle high aggressiveness. So I never strayed from my Techs, Rockets and other mild-type razors. And never will :biggrin1:
It also doesn’t hurt that your museum-worthy collection is worth …
1620561832504.gif

Definitely into mild, mild-medium and medium aggressive razors. Drama free shaves that leave the skin irritation free.

I cannot speak for all aggressive razor lovers; my reason for preferring an aggressive razor is that it reduces the number of passes needed to achieve an acceptable shave, and fewer passes equals better skin.
That is one school of thought. Many people use an aggressive razor, which is more likely to inflict irritation, with the thought of less passes to prevent irritation. Everyone has their own ideas on what is the best way to shave and the best equipment, I am not here to argue about what is best, but it seems to me to be a convoluted way of thinking to use a more aggressive razor to have a more comfortable shave. I can speak of my experience (everyone is unique) and that is with a mild razor, smooth blade and good lather I can do 4 passes plus touchups if needed on my neck everyday. I know because I do it everyday. I honestly don't think the number of passes is the main cause of irritation if the other aspects of your shave are dialed in. If I tried doing that with a more aggressive razor or a rougher blade then yes, more passes would most likely lead to skin irritation. I use a Timeless .68 SB razor (neutral blade exposure) with Personna Reds, Polsilver SI and Wizamet SI blades. YMMV

I honestly don't think the number of passes is the main cause of irritation if the other aspects of your shave are dialed in. If I tried doing that with a more aggressive razor or a rougher blade then yes, more passes would most likely lead to skin irritation. I use a Timeless .68 SB razor (neutral blade exposure) with Personna Reds, Polsilver SI and Wizamet SI blades. YMMV

I do think blades play a major part in the irritation equation. I also find it interesting that those preferring aggressive razors often tend to like blades that I consider to be outright harsh. It’s almost like some people equate blade feel to effectiveness…..

Or maybe they just enjoy the scraping feeling. I can’t really throw stones at folks with this particular preference because I enjoy, in a certain way, the discomfort associated with hard physical workouts, otherwise know as “suffering” to others. However in my case I know for a fact, objectively based on measurable performance, that this suffering has the outcome of better results. I’m not convinced the same is true with regards to aggressive razors and less smooth blades though.

But hey, if people enjoy the experience of shaving with whatever it is they choose, that’s all that really matters.:straight:

Even if I’m right and everyone who disagrees is wrong.:cool:

When I first came across B&B back in the spring of 2019 this theme of mild razors kept recurring in my readings. I am the type of guy to read history and learn from it so my direction from the start was to find the mild razor for me. After learning the basics on a Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic) I tried a Tech that was PiFed to me and knew that I had found what I was looking for. I haven't felt any need to look elsewhere.

So my journey was very short and precise, after getting every man in my family a Tech also their journeys are even shorter. Life is good.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🧐Liked my vintage Gillette Red Tip. Picked up a regular super speed and a Blue Tip to complete the set.

🤔 To my surprise, I got close shaves with the Blue Tip, a very mild razor.

Epiphany: I use pressure, one of the cardinal non-nos here. When a razor is mild, apparently I push it and get the same shave. You do a bunch of things unconsciously...

AA

[emoji3166]Liked my vintage Gillette Red Tip. Picked up a regular super speed and a Blue Tip to complete the set.

[emoji848] To my surprise, I got close shaves with the Blue Tip, a very mild razor.

Epiphany: I use pressure, one of the cardinal non-nos here. When a razor is mild, apparently I push it and get the same shave. You do a bunch of things unconsciously...

AA
It's a cardinal no no for people who don't understand exposure and how mild razors work in contact with a non perfectly flat surface.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's a cardinal no no for people who don't understand exposure and how mild razors work in contact with a non perfectly flat surface.

Yes, an OLD or my Ti95OC would remove the whole top layer if you did that...

AA

I ordered Henson AL13 "Medium", let's see if I will like it. Usually I go with the more aggressive razors.

For years I used the R41, but noticed a mid-aggressive razor like the Game Changer .84 or Outlaw are efficient without being over the top aggressive.

I agree though, another bad habit that developed is that efficiency is often seen in an AGGRESSIVE = EFFICIENT way. It doesn't have to, but more aggressive razors make shaving easier, IMO. Very mild ones require often very exact angles to shave nicely.

I believe many people find their favorite razor design somewhere in the middle, but yeah, for some reason there is a trend for ever more aggressive razors. Maybe it's a primal, juvenile and atavistic thing in the style of "look at me, I mastered the secret of steel, this wicked edge!" Just speculating, no insults meant to anyone. Would be interesting to figure out how this trend started, why and where it lead. Maybe we will see a reverse soon.

Good move. Henson razors are fantastic performers.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Epiphany: I use pressure, one of the cardinal non-nos here. When a razor is mild, apparently I push it and get the same shave.
It's all about exposure and maintaining optimum skin contact.

Based on youse guys’ back-and-forth, the GEM Micromatic Open Comb is a ‘mild’ razor when used according to the manufacturer’s instructions. My face sometimes agrees.

But are you also teaching folks how to increase enjoyment of Gillette Tech razors?

You do a bunch of things unconsciously...

I do!

Based on youse guys’ back-and-forth, the GEM Micromatic Open Comb is a ‘mild’ razor when used according to the manufacturer’s instructions. My face sometimes agrees.

But are you also teaching folks how to increase enjoyment of Gillette Tech razors?

I do!

Truth be told I've never understood the issues people have with the MMOC being aggressive, I never had problems with it, even as an inexperienced shaver.

How much pressure you use with the Tech, if any, is going to depend on angle and how tight /flat you keep the intended target. I don't use mine much, I think it has a tiny bit of positive exposure but I could be wrong. I usually use the Stahly when looking for mild.

Last edited:
Top Bottom