What's new

Razorock Game Changer .68-P or Mamba .70 or BBS?

Noobie here and I've been agonizing over what to buy. I started with a Feather Popular, which I liked. Then I got the Baili BR171 (photo) to see what a 3-piece razor was like, and I really like it. But I'm looking to upgrade to a lifer razor. I have sensitive skin and am prone to getting cuts, so my goal for the new razor is two fold:
1) maximum protection from cuts and irritation
2) maximum efficiency
I know meeting those two goals 100% is impossible. But that's my goal to shoot for.

I have read a lot about the Mamba .53 being the mildest but am put off by the people saying it's too mild and needs a lot of cleanup.
(I guess I'm convinced Razorock is the way to go. I bought a Silver Plissoft brush and am impressed by the quality. However, I am open to suggestions about a razor. But under the $75 price point.)

The GC .68 (I guess the latest version is the 68-P. (Is that the same as the 68 Safety Bar?)) I hear is the best conventional razor for my needs. Easy to learn and very mild yet efficient.

The Mamba .70 I hear is wonderfully mild and much more efficient than the 53.

The BBS I hear has a lot of people not liking the extreme angle but also that it is really hard to cut yourself with and gives a somewhat more efficient shave than the other two.

To be honest, I'm leaning toward the BBS because I think my Baili BR171 also has the exaggerated angle and I have no problem with it. Plus I've been riding the cap with it in super-sensitive places and having no cuts.

Still I'm on the fence. The GC 68-P seems like such a safe bet. The Mamba 70 has the exaggerated angle I'm comfortable with and is more efficient than the Mamba 53. And like I said I'm leaning toward the BBS. But honestly I could buy any one of them.

Can you help knock me off the fence?

bailiRazoor.jpg

Reactions: OB1
Well I own an original Mamba 53 and both safety bar Game Changers. You are correct that the p means solid/safety bar. The Mamba needs a proper angle to shave. The GC 68p likes my steep angle and is very comfortable and forgiving. If you have any questions, I will answer them the best I can.

Have never used a Mamba or the BBS. But out of those 3 I'd buy the GC .68. If down the road you decide you want/need something a little more efficient you can always buy the .84 head. Although according to Italian
Barber's Razor Scale the BBS is supposed to more a little more aggressive than the GC .68.

M

mtcn77

As an amateur shaver with a taste for slants, I chose my first serious safety razor to be the Merkur 37C as a safe bet, however had to move on to Yaqi's slant for more blade feel and developed my own technique.
After returning to Merkur 37C to see what went wrong the first time, I gathered some keynotes that can be more common than just my own. These are;
  1. A wide blade gap is better to start off the DE experience until you learn the ropes,
  2. Once your hand feel is established, you can handle a wider range of razors, either milder, or more efficient whichever you like,
  3. Safety razor blade gap makes you focus on your smoothness, however you cannot make a rough razor as smooth as a narrow blade gap safety razor.
  4. If you like shaving daily and like the smoothness, you get more enjoyment out of milder razors,
  5. If you like shaving every other day and you like BBS instead of smoothness, more efficient razors will shave you with less injury.
  6. BBS is riskier in a mild razor, tugging is not related to blade sharpness and instead due to the shaving angle in my opinion.
  7. Progressive reduction takes concentration, but once managed by gradual handle inclination in consecutive passes, a mild razor is closer if you have spent the time to follow all passes in equal sequence.

I have the Game changer 68-P, the Mamba 70 and the Baby smooth in titanium now known as the BBS for the stainless steel version.

Based on what you've wrote and my experience with those, which might not be the same as yours if you had the 3 razors, I would go for the Game Changer 68 all the way. Yes, the Mamba is smoother then the Game Changer, but for the very little you're going to sacrifice in smoothness for the Game Changer vs the Mamba you will get quite a few notch more in efficiency.

I recently made a full week of shaving with each razors to answer the same question someone else had on another forum and this is what I told him.

It was also possible to acheive a BBS or DFS with the Game Changer which was almost impossible with the Mamba without doing multiple touch ups.

Like always, of course, ymmw. I can also say tjat I came really close to sell my Mamba 70 a couple of time which will never ne the case the Game Changer, for sure!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@100pctFragranceFree , I only have the BBS in your elected group, but it’s very easy to use. Steep; with the handle almost parallel to your face and feeling just the chonkin’ thicc safety bar and just a hint of blade; and it’s gentle as a self-shearing lamb. Shallow; with the handle not quite parallel to your face and feeling the cap and a scary amount of blade feel; it’s “shave five days of stubble with one against-grain pass” efficient, but very rough feeling. It’s cute, curvy, and versatile.

Leaving the “curvy” description off the Game Changer, the other two razors are also efficient and nice looking. And I wouldn’t leave the .53 off your list, either. As one gets more familiar with any razor, the efficiency climbs. Each razor has a sweet spot where it’s meanest to whiskers and benevolently neglectful to skin as well as tricks for getting problem areas.

I'm looking to upgrade to a lifer razor.

That could be your Feather Popular, but everything you’ve already mentioned are also cool. Get any one of them with the handle you find coolest and let it become your “lifer” razor.

@Blackland Razors is releasing a razor called ERA soon that ticks the boxes you’ve mentioned.

I have all of these and would recommend considering the Razorock Lupo (aluminum version) as well. With respect to everyone's different opinions this is how I would rank them in terms of comfort and efficiency:

Mamba 70
(Comfort 9, Efficiency 7.5)

Mamba 53
(Comfort 9, Efficiency 6.5)

Lupo (aluminum)
(Comfort 8, Efficiency 8)

BBS
(Comfort 7, Efficiency 9)

Game Changer 68
(Comfort 6.5, Efficiency 8)

I don't feel a difference in the way the Mamba 70 and 53 feel on my face but the 70 shaves closer. The 53 leaves a few stubbly spots that seem impossible for the razor to get. I reach for the Mamba 70 whenever my face feels irritated by other razors. It won't provide the closest shave but it's close enough and my face feels good after the shave. There is barely any blade feel with the Mamba and it's very difficult to cut yourself.

The Lupo (aluminum) is also very comfortable and smooth and I also reach for this one when my face is irritated. It's a very light razor so I swap out the lightweight aluminum handle for one of the steel knurled ones I have. It's a great razor with an extremely nimble head that gets under and around my nostrils better than any other razor so far. You can definitely feel the blade but it's subtle and also difficult to cut yourself.

The BBS feels very similar to the Mamba 70 with a bit more aggression and blade feel. It's like the Mamba's more aggressive brother (or cousin). The angle is the most extreme of this bunch. If there's a bump on your face this razor is most likely to cut it off and draw blood. It took some time to get used to using it. As comfortable and efficient as it is compared to several other razors I still would rather not use it on a daily basis. But I do enjoy using it once in a while.

The Game Changer (I have all of the plates except for one - OC68) it's a razor that feels so inconsistent to me. Sometimes I get a great shave and sometimes my face is very aggravated. I rotate thru the same blades for all my razors so I can't blame the blades. I see why so many enjoy the Game Changer but the blade seems to 'chatter' more than the others and create redness on my skin sometimes - the alum block stings most with the Game Changer.

They all feel different. I'd recommend buying the Mamba 70 and the Lupo (aluminum) just to be able to swap between the two. You can use the heavier stainless steel handle that comes with the Mamba on the Lupo if you are put off by how lightweight it is.

Sorry if I made things more confusing for you - it's just my opinion. Whichever you buy you will have a beautiful razor that will last a lifetime.

I have the Feather Popular, GC .68, Mamba .53, and BR171. The BR171 is one of my favorite razors. I consider the GC .68 to be the stainless version of the 171, which to say I absolutely love it. I enjoy the Mamba .53, but like the Feather Popular it's wonderfully smooth, but struggles to get truly BBS. The GC .68 is slightly less smooth for me, but it's perfectly capable of BBS.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the GC .68-P.

Last edited:
I have the Baili 191 (same head, different handle), Mamba 53, Mamba 70 and GC.84 (not the 68).

For me, the Mamba 70 is what I reach for most... I used the Baili throughout April though (AFFCC) so I feel I'm fairly well in tune with that at the moment.

The GC 84 is comfortably the worst razor I've ever owned (for me!), it's rough and yet just doesnt get the job done properly without way more work than its worth - I had to crack out my New SC to finish the last shave I tried with the GC, two passes with the GC left plenty behind for the SC and left me with significant alum sting where the SC alone almost never gives so much as a hint.

I'd go with the Mamba 70 over the GC 84 without a seconds hesitation...
Then again, I'd go for the Mamba 53 over the GC without hesitation too - far far smoother and leaves far less behind.

Once you dial in the angle perfectly on the Mamba's there's very little difference between the two - they're both exceptionally smooth, far more efficient than they feel during the shave and leave no irritation.

The GC 84 is the only razor I completely regret having wasted the time and money on - it shouldn't be anything unusual to me, it's not the most or least aggressive I've had, but it just gives me subpar results and irritation for my troubles... I'd run a mile from buying one again.

The Mamba's on the other hand are among my absolute favourites (if Baili made a SS version it would be too!)

It’s a tough question and we all have different opinions. I don’t like a lot of blade feel—every razor I have with a lot of blade feel irritates my face, so the Mamba 70 is like a unicorn razor for me. I get a BBS shave almost every time with zero irritation. I can’t say enough good about it.

This thread might be good and confusing to read :) ahhahahaha

I just today did a shave off of the RR BBS and the new GC .68 and the GC .68 won for me again FOR ME
I am going to sell my BBS and my Mamba .53 both are super nice super shavers if you want a super clean used a few times let me know :)

Got to order the Lupo .72

for fun Jefffeith above has this
BBS
(Comfort 7, Efficiency 9)

Game Changer 68
(Comfort 6.5, Efficiency 8)

I would Rank the
BBS as less comfort and less efficient
and the GC 68 more comfortable and more efficient !

And jefffeith is not wrong and I am not correct :) its just the way we feel it and I have quickly learned one just has to try these things out since we all can vary

in that thread both KennyG and I felt the Feather AS-D2 was really uncomfortable and yet others love it ?

For me the mamba .53 vs the BBS was super close

Also the Henson is brought up in that thread a lot and might be worth trying also have a money back if you are not happy !
Myself owning the Henson mild and the GC .68 the mamba .53 and the BBS the Henson and the GC are my two favs the GC has some blade feel but super comfy the Henson pretty much as no blade feel super comfy and very unique feeling

Kennyg in that thread I linked to has the med and mild Henson he is finding med is his preference ?

I do think ya just have to try them and see what ya like they are all good and all do a great job and I can say the build of the Razorocks are really nice

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The GC84-P, BBS and Mamba 70 were included in my comparison of mid-priced razors:

The new Lupo .72 and .95 razors are also in there. And a few others, too. ;)

If the choice is only between the GC68-P, BBS and Mamba 70, the GC68-P has been a favorite of mine - consistent, flexible angle and smooth with predictable performance.

YMMV :)

I have been following this all day and really enjoyed the education I'm getting from all your super-helpful comments. Thank you!

@Cafebarian Thanks for the explanation about the safety bar, and I may take you up on your offer.

@Bill_G Thanks for pointing out the BBS is more aggressive than the 68. And thanks for pointing out the possibility of picking up the other head down the road. I, now, can't see that happening, but you never know and it will be nice to have that option.

@mtcn77 Thanks for sharing all the great points. #1 was certainly an eye opener.

@Ron R Thanks Ron. I never think of the GC 84 as a medium razor (I've always thought of it as aggressive.) but the chart cleared that up. And thanks for sharing the chart. It's super helpful.

@ImJustMe Thanks for the roaring endorsement (and explanation) of the GC .68. (When I got done reading your post I was ready to buy the 68. But then I read more posts!) (Still might get it. Thanks.)

@thombrogan Thanks for the great explanation of putting the BBS through its paces. Fascinating. It's much more flexible than I'd thought.

@jefffeith Thanks for the extensive breakdown of all the razors. I really appreciate it. This is what I should be looking for (and still might) -->
I reach for the Mamba 70 whenever my face feels irritated by other razors. It won't provide the closest shave but it's close enough and my face feels good after the shave.
But then another razor turns my head. One question. In your breakdown, does less comfort equate to more cuts?

@Dovo1695 Thanks for the recommendation. And good to hear you like the BR171, too. It's a really nice razor for being so inexpensive. I don't know how they can sell them for so little.

@BubblesUK Thanks. I haven't heard too many people say bad things about the GC 84. My impression from what I've heard it's a real darling of most owners. I appreciate your honesty. Kind of throws me a bit, but you sure do make the Mamba 70 sound good. Thanks.

@AZBronco High praise indeed for the Mamba 70. Thank you.

@Ckmaui Thanks. The pendulum swings back to the GC 68. Wow. I did read a lot of that other thread and it was getting a little confusing. As is this one (but it's very helpful too). Thanks.

@JCarr Why is that?

@never-stop-learning Thanks David. And thanks for the link to your other post. Great stuff there.

@Jasper J. Another vote for the Lupo 72, but why do you prefer it to the others in this post?

Okay, right now I can say it's pretty much between the Mamba 70 and the GC 68. With the comments of the Mamba 70 being so smooth and cut and irritation free and being a great daily shaver, I think, "That's it! That's what I want!" But then I read the comments about the GC 68 and it sounds pretty darn good too. jefffeith's comment about the GC's chatter bothered me. I like the idea of the Mambas and BBS pinning that blade down tight. But Dovo1695's cooment aboaut the 68 being a better version of the BR171, which I really like, makes me think I've got to get the 68. So IOW I'm a lot closer than I ever would be without all your help--but not quite there. Thanks so much!

Among others I have a Gamechanger 84 and the Baby Smooth, which is basically a aluminium BBS.
I'd go for the BBS. For me the baby smooth is much easier to use.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

Top Bottom