What's new

Simpson, I hate you #SBAD #BAD #MAD

The synthetic Ch2 does get better with time. I did not like mine at all when I first got it. It is better than tolerable now, but it is seemingly breaking in a bit with every shave.

do the bristles actually change or is it just getting used to the differences associated with synthetic fibers? I bought the brush used, but I don’t believe it was used much prior to my acquisition and I have only used it once.

Regardless, you give me hope that my feelings towards it can improve

Since we are showing off...

The Duke 3 SiLVERTIP and the Chubby 3 Manchurian are unused, never lathered. I know...what am I waiting for???

IMG_2603.jpg

do the bristles actually change or is it just getting used to the differences associated with synthetic fibers? I bought the brush used, but I don’t believe it was used much prior to my acquisition and I have only used it once.

I think the knot actually loosens up a bit. I have only used my CH2 synth 9-10x, but it seems to splay a bit better and release lather better.

hahah。

I like Simpson's tulip, Eagle 3 and many other handles very much.

I see a lot of series now have Manchurian hair.

Fortunately, I'm addicted to the 28mm brush knot now. It saves me a lot of money!

As @SharpieB said, there is a little break-in, but it's nowhere near as big a difference as with natural bristle of any type. In my case, the *slight* opening up of the knot didn't make enough difference to change my feelings at all :(

...then again, my primary complaint with Platinum fiber is that the tips are just too soft, plus the CH2 is the most difficult to rinse synthetic I've encountered, to the point of being at least as good as the CH1 (in super) at hiding that last little bit of lather at the base of the knot.

Just celebrating a Chubby that is not shown every day and which is to me the most beautiful, most powerful and most excellent small brush for face-lathering. 🌞

210507_14223-AboveTheTie-Windsor-SSCH_Chubby1IVM.jpg

Ah and for fun, here is the Chubby 3 in a scene also featuring the Tabac bowl: #194
Dunno why, but somehow I have a feeling that the Chubby 3 is a bit bigger. Just a bit.

I think that Simpson needs to finally put an exclamation mark on the Chubby line by making a Chubby 4... So preposterously enormous that even the most insatiable CH3 fans are taken aback ;)
Why not? Lather the world, I say.

Hell, my Thater 4125/4 has a 34mm knot and is ginormous... and there are still 2 bigger 4125 models (4125/5 and /6).

Or maybe keep going with the Polo series... Polo 16, Polo 18, Polo 20...

Just celebrating a Chubby that is not shown every day and which is to me the most beautiful, most powerful and most excellent small brush for face-lathering.

i agree the Chubby 1 Manchurian is a face lathering dream brush. It starts quite pointy and stiff, but after breaking in it is wonderful! Also a great traveling brush as the Manchurian brushes dry much faster due to the thickness of the hairs

I still put it behind the Chubby 1 Super because the Manchurian hair makes the perceived knot smaller than reality, while Super Badger does exactly the opposite. That’s why I’ve HAD to buy a CH2 Manchurian, which has just the right face feel for me, and does not feel as as big as the cousins in Best and Super

Someday I will add a CH3 in Manchurian, waiting for @A.E. Simpson 1919 To list some on the website soon

Hmmmmm... I just realized that you very rarely see a Duke 3 in Pure badger. For anyone that likes Simpson’s Pure, wouldn’t the Duke 3 in best for less $$$ (Simpson direct) than an Eagle 3 Pure be of interest?

What would be better about the Eagle 3 besides the cool handle?

The Duke 3 in Pure might be something I buy down the road. I like Pure but the handle on my Beaufort B6 isn’t great.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Hmmmmm... I just realized that you very rarely see a Duke 3 in Pure badger. For anyone that likes Simpson’s Pure, wouldn’t the Duke 3 in best for less $$$ (Simpson direct) than an Eagle 3 Pure be of interest?

What would be better about the Eagle 3 besides the cool handle?

The Duke 3 in Pure might be something I buy down the road. I like Pure but the handle on my Beaufort B6 isn’t great.
They're easy enough to find. Try Pasteur's in NYC. I see them on ebay fairly often as well. Fendrihan Canada might even have them. Or pay more and buy one from the Simpsons Mother Ship on the Isle of Man.

Owen Bawn

Have you tried one?
I haven't. My experience with Simpson Pure is limited to the Eagle in sizes 2 and 3. There were a couple of Vulfix Pures I thought about at one time but I never pulled the trigger. @Marco has some experience with Vulfix Pure. He would be a good gentleman to ask if you were interested.

I haven't. My experience with Simpson Pure is limited to the Eagle in sizes 2 and 3. There were a couple of Vulfix Pures I thought about at one time but I never pulled the trigger. @Marco has some experience with Vulfix Pure. He would be a good gentleman to ask if you were interested.

Thanks. I ordered an Eagle 3 late last year but it was lost in the post coming from Spain. Credited back but I bought it on the cheap and they wouldn’t sell me a replacement for the same price. I might go Duke 3 Pure next. I like Simpson’s Pure a lot and their Pure isn’t outrageously expensive IMO.

I have a Vulfix pure and I never use it. It is a lower end model but it is floppier than my Kent BK8. Turned me off looking at other Vulfixes.

Owen Bawn

i agree the Chubby 1 Manchurian is a face lathering dream brush. It starts quite pointy and stiff, but after breaking in it is wonderful! Also a great traveling brush as the Manchurian brushes dry much faster due to the thickness of the hairs

I still put it behind the Chubby 1 Super because the Manchurian hair makes the perceived knot smaller than reality, while Super Badger does exactly the opposite. That’s why I’ve HAD to buy a CH2 Manchurian, which has just the right face feel for me, and does not feel as as big as the cousins in Best and Super

Someday I will add a CH3 in Manchurian, waiting for @A.E. Simpson 1919 To list some on the website soon
This comes close to my experience. I love the Chubby 1 in Best and Manchurian, but there's nothing like a Chubby 1 in Super. My Chubby 1 Manchurian was also 'pointy' and stiff- to the point where I was ready to give up on it- and then it finally started to come around. I'd say it took nearly 2 dozen lathers to break in. It is terrific now. But the Super... ahhh the Super...

Someday I'll probably add a Chubby 2 in either 2 band silvertip or Manchurian, but I'm in no rush. I already have Chubby 2's in Best and in Super that spend most of the year sitting on the shelf mocking me. I have to be in the mood for the big brush. But when I am in that mood there's nothing like it.

My Chubby 1 Manchurian was also 'pointy' and stiff- to the point where I was ready to give up on it- and then it finally started to come around. I'd say it took nearly 2 dozen lathers to break in

Same here, I would say around 30 lathering cycles and these first uses are PAINFUL! No splay, lots of scritch, and the lather disappears like magic. No other Badger comes close. I see many gents complaining about Simpsons Manchurian, talking about Marketing gimmick and a lower grade of hair, but I’m sure they haven’t passed the break in period.

I have to be in the mood for the big brush
one can never have too many Chubbies (or Classics, their close cousins). That’s all I’ve kept - every other Simpsons model I tried did not provide the same experience. Once you get used to the Chubby lifestyle, every other Badger brush becomes dull

CH1 is epic, CH2 is legendary, CH3 is transcendental

161F53C1-9A62-45B5-A680-23C5009E94ED.jpeg

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

That is a beautiful collection, @macintoshBR. I could never give up my M7s, Dukes, and Eagles. Have you tried the Classic in 2 band silvertip? I got one, along with a Berkeley silvertip, in a trade several months ago. So far they both are acting like the toughest Manchurians. Really unpleasant to use. I've only used each about 4 or 5 times. I can see why the guy traded them after one use. I have 2 other Simpson 2 band silvertips, and neither required any break in period.

That is a beautiful collection, @macintoshBR. I could never give up my M7s, Dukes, and Eagles. Have you tried the Classic in 2 band silvertip? I got one, along with a Berkeley silvertip, in a trade several months ago. So far they both are acting like the toughest Manchurians. Really unpleasant to use. I've only used each about 4 or 5 times. I can see why the guy traded them after one use. I have 2 other Simpson 2 band silvertips, and neither required any break in period.

I've never used a Classic in 2-band Silvertip, but I've owned a Tulip 2 in 2-band Super in the past and I didn't care for it. Too small face feel, little splay and pointy - and I used it a lot with no improvement. I will never buy another Simpsons 2-band Silvertip, too much money for something I already know I don't enjoy. Now, I would jump immediately on a Classic 1 or Classic 2 in Super 3-band

My other experiences with Simpsons are:
- M6 LE Manchurian: did not enjoy it. I know it was a problematic brush but it makes me cautious to go after the M7
- Polo 8 Best: it was a long time ago, but my hands were too small for that huge handle
- Chubby 1 in Super: my very first Simpsons back in 2014. I sold it and I can't remember why. I am glad I repurchased it later on in my journey
- Chubby 2 in Best: same as above. My second Simpsons back in 2014, I also sold it and regretted it so much afterwards
- Milk Churn: very unique handle and great brush, but the lack of density compared to the Classic and Chubbies turned me off. Sold it recently here
- Chubby 1 Best: sold it recently here because it was less dense than the Classic and had some scritchy. The hair was grayish more like Pure instead of the good tannish/brownish Best Badgers
- Eagle G2 in Pure: I still own it, and I absolutely love it. It's a lathering machine and for $50 it is a bargain. Unfortunately the poking of Pure badger hurts my sensitive skin (I have some acne / pimples occasionally), so it is off the rotation for now. I won't sell it because the value I can recover is too small
- Berkeley B46 in Best: it used to be my travel brush. Loved everything about it. Great value. I beat the hell out of it as I used to travel a lot before Covid, and as a result it shedded like crazy. I still own it and it still produces great lather, but the shedding is annoying. I plan to reknot it with an Omega boar knot soon, as the handle is fantastic.

I've never had a Duke brush. They are so similar to the Classic 1 and Chubby 1, and I am not a person to keep duplicated items.

I am waiting for a CH3 in Best from the Isle of Man, and will complete the collection with a CH3 Manchurian in Ivory when it becomes available.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

Owen, the Vulfix #18 Pure is the very first brush I purchased from the Isle of Man. It was about 25 years ago and I got it from Mark's father, Mr Philip.

For the money Vulfix Old Original brushes are fantastic hand-made pieces. Though, very much different from Simpsons because of the less dense knots, longer lofts and bigger handles. Nevertheless, they are capable of producing an outstanding lather. The brushes in Pure give a nice scrubby feeling, very much appreciated by wet shaver purists. I'm sure Mark @A.E. Simpson 1919 can easily confirm all I've written here.

Get one Sir, it's absolutely worth having it.

Top Bottom