What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

You'll have to get in on Shark Week this summer- a week of using Shark blades. The real die hards combine Shark Week and Arko August and do a solid month of Arko-Sharko.
Since I found that I love the Shark SS blades (not the chromes or platinums though), I am looking forward to joining my first Shark Week. No Arko for me though as I dont want a month long headache. How about Sharko-ProrasO? Or Sharko-TabacO? Sharko-Noble OtterO? Ok, I went too far.

The Seventh Day Of GRUME...
Still In

Pre Shave: Shower and Cremo Lavender
RR Black Hawk Ver. 2 SE
Feather Artist Club Professional
MWF soap
Simpson Super 1 Emperor
Pinaud Lime SEC on hands and arms

Summary
Today I wanted calming ingredients since I was using a SE razor that I wasn't familiar with. The Cremo worked very good as a pre- shave. It left my face slick and I could easily glide my fingers across my face. The MWF felt great and I spent extra time working it into my beard area. The Hawk was smooth but I "hear" and "feel" the blade more than I do with a milder razor. I tried riding the cap on one side of my face and riding the guard on the other. I still prefer the Rockwell 6C(plate 2) and Henson AL13 at this time. There was no post shave irritation, redness or sensitivity issues.

Oh No! Now I will have to put Williams on the bucket list for June!
Question: Can some type of menthol additive be added to the soap with the bloom water or in the lathering bowl?
Yes, there is, lately I've been using a pre-shave soap with quite a lot of added menthol. You lather over top of the pre-shave with your shaving soap and this mixes menthol into whatever soap you have. It makes for some interesting combinations.
1620430806828.png

It's the PAA Ice Cube 2.0. I also cut a piece and melted it into a shave stick container. This works very well.

Still in!
I shaved tonight after receiving my stainless steel Stirling razor.

The razor is very nice looking, it has a beautiful polish put on it. The handle grip is fine for those of us that like to hold up on the handle a bit, the knurling in the middle is quite grippy. Works quite well.

The standard plate is very nice and smooth it has a fair bit of blade feel but I like it. It's definitely joining my rotation.

The HA is wild, blade feel untamed. If I ever need a one pass dfs it is up to bat, but for multi-pass standard shaving I have met my match. The Blackbird and my Yates EH feel like techs or maybe even blue tips in comparison. It's almost impossible to find the base plate or the cap, they are so far behind the edge. Very wild to use.

This is sort of my birthday shave, I turn 25 tomorrow but I won't be shaving. It was a very very good one.
0507212207a~2.jpg

Late entry?
1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
8) henrickd - GRUYERE
9) Heavy_Metal_Hound
10) Roedeer
11) Chef455
12) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
13) Owen Bawn
14) Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
15) Schnitzel52
16) ‘Bout Time
17) AZBronco
18) Cahoots
19) SeinfeldNoir
20) tjsgarden
21) pdieten - GRUYERE
22) Timeclo
23) Kyle89
24) Sinnbad11
25) Cino
26) redrako
27) Sandorfi
28) SharpieB
29) Sotiris_A
30) Tomo
31) FL shaver
Still cruising along without making any purchases!

Late entry?
1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
8) henrickd - GRUYERE
9) Heavy_Metal_Hound
10) Roedeer
11) Chef455
12) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
13) Owen Bawn
14) Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
15) Schnitzel52
16) ‘Bout Time
17) AZBronco
18) Cahoots
19) SeinfeldNoir
20) tjsgarden
21) pdieten - GRUYERE
22) Timeclo
23) Kyle89
24) Sinnbad11
25) Cino
26) redrako
27) Sandorfi
28) SharpieB
29) Sotiris_A
30) Tomo
31) FL shaver
Still cruising along without making any purchases!
That works for me. Welcome!

Still in

My late delivered March acquisition of ABC did not live up to my expectations. I wanted to like it and there is certainly lots to like. Unfortunately it seems that I have a mild reaction to this one that gets worse by the day. The balm is great but there’s something not quite right about the soap. I’ve also settled on creams and despite what it says on the label, there is no way this can be described as a cream. A putty maybe but certainly not a cream.

There is a lesson in this for our fellow GRUMERs. Once you’ve tried dozens of products and settled on your favourite four, it is highly unlikely that a new acquisition will match your current favorites. After a while it becomes increasingly unlikely to discover new gems.

Still in!

The razor is very nice looking, it has a beautiful polish put on it. The handle grip is fine for those of us that like to hold up on the handle a bit, the knurling in the middle is quite grippy. Works quite well.

The standard plate is very nice and smooth it has a fair bit of blade feel but I like it. It's definitely joining my rotation.

The HA is wild, blade feel untamed. If I ever need a one pass dfs it is up to bat, but for multi-pass standard shaving I have met my match. The Blackbird and my Yates EH feel like techs or maybe even blue tips in comparison. It's almost impossible to find the base plate or the cap, they are so far behind the edge. Very wild to use.

This is sort of my birthday shave, I turn 25 tomorrow but I won't be shaving. It was a very very good one.
View attachment 1263513
That looks great. Lime purchases will be one of my indulgences in June. How is the soap and balm?

By the way...:happybday::a14:
Good Day

Last edited:
That looks great. Lime purchases will be one of my indulgences in June. How is the soap and balm?

By the way...:happybday::a14:
Good Day

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Shannon's coconut lime is a favorite of mine lots of sweetness and a very good performer. They also have 25th St lime which is a straight up lime scent. Also a good performer, I've been really getting into lime scents recently.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Still in!

View attachment 1263513
25 years old? Why you're still a beardless youth. Do you even really need to shave?

Happy Birthday.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Hah! Fortunately shaving is a daily activity for me, otherwise, even with a good 50 years of shaving in front of me I'd never finish what I've already bought.
I started using soap and a brush when I was 19, and even back then (1975) it raised eyebrows, as really nobody still used 'that old stuff.' By the time you're my age everyone else will be using some sort of Gillette Depilitating Laser each morning, but you'll be here telling 25 year olds that Williams isn't really that difficult to lather if you get the water just right.

Top Bottom