What's new

Yaqi adjustable razor

Had my first shave with this
Surprisingly very good. Used settings 3, 4(6), 2 and 5.
Very good results...very smooth, clean and no post shave irritation.
I like this except for the construction flaws.
The fix I put in place worked soo I could easily change settings mid shave but this will need to be setup everytime you decide to use it.

When Yaqi gets the next version out with these issues fixes, I will be picking one up.
Could not feel any issues for blade not being perfectly straight...but thats what they do in slants I guess.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Maybe you should try and get a.stronger spring..that might fix it....Mine looks ok..once everything is tightly fitted

That will fix it.
Its all Pearl did to fix their uneven gap.

Had my first shave with this
Surprisingly very good. Used settings 3, 4(6), 2 and 5.
Very good results...very smooth, clean and no post shave irritation.
I like this except for the construction flaws.
The fix I put in place worked soo I could easily change settings mid shave but this will need to be setup everytime you decide to use it.

When Yaqi gets the next version out with these issues fixes, I will be picking one up.
Could not feel any issues for blade not being perfectly straight...but thats what they do in slants I guess.

Thats what I said - Gents.

BUT don't hold your breath on Yaqi fixing the issue.

That will fix it.
Its all Pearl did to fix their uneven gap.

Thats what I said - Gents.

BUT don't hold your breath on Yaqi fixing the issue.
I guess its ok the way it is too..Am thinking a little spring inserted in the hollow space in the spinner dial will also do the job and stop the middle from locking it up. WIll have to find something and try.

I guess its ok the way it is too..Am thinking a little spring inserted in the hollow space in the spinner dial will also do the job and stop the middle from locking it up. WIll have to find something and try.
You've lost me here. I'm not sure how a little spring will stop the adjuster dial from locking up?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I feel very unbelievable about some of Yaqi V2’s mistakes, such as "1-2-3-6-5-4" when the numbers on the dial are misplaced; when the "4" is displayed, the maximum gap is reached, so it is a pure "dial Disk error" → low-level error lacking normal quality control.
Not to mention this may be the ugliest red spot I have ever seen.

Even the "need to loosen the handle to make adjustments" shocked me. Never seen such a situation on gibbs/rex ambassador/pearl.
The whole step is more frustrating than replacing the 6s base plate.

If there is any offense, I feel sorry; I have always liked yaqi's brushes, but it is really surprising that yaqi is so careless on this $100 V2 razor. I may have to clean the toilet to calm my mood.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I don’t remember ever seeing it anywhere near $100. More like $20. However that doesn’t excuse the issues.

It's my fault.
Since it is currently out of stock in some common online sales locations, I must have misunderstood the currency markings on other regional web pages.
But even the cheaper Mingshi 2000s will not write the numbers wrong.

I recently got the dlc yaqi scalloped razor...loved the handle and was extremely pleased with the shave.... Edwin jagger style head but way more efficient..yet not aggressive... great razor...

Thats what made me order the adjustable too.... they even have a new AC style aingle edge....to compete with the razorock hawk and the vector.... they seem to know what thwir customers want.

The Yaqi scalloped razor is indeed very good. While the head looks very similar to the EJ, it's a lot more efficient. Very comfortable razor. Suitable for daily shaves.

Yaqi Adjustable is my only regretted razor purchase :mad2:

Inclination starts when you tighten up the bottom at any setting other than the first setting. This razor teaches me that an adjustable razor must be bought from a decent and serious razor company. Yaqi is not one of :thumbdown:thumbdown

The inclination and slantish blade holding is so dangerous that the setting numbert is not an issue at all.

I decided to not sell mine to any one in order to not harm nobody neither in monetary aspect nor in moral aspect. In other words I don't want to cause someone else to get a cut or get a serious irritation due to a razor which is highly deffected and dangerous.

No reason to start a new thread.

My Yaqi V3 arrived today and all that I can say is "They sure got it right this time"

All the issues that I fixed on my V2 arrive already fixed.

The issue with "loosen handle, adjust, tighten handle" is fixed. AND OH YES - It can be over-clocked. Mine goes to right around to 3,5.
The indicator on the adjuster dial isn't lost in the chrome and the numbers are in the correct order.
My example opens and closes evenly.

None of these are a deal-breaker for me but allow me to be super-critical.
They didn't paint-fill the numbers - I'll do it at some point.
The twistknob can't be removed from the handle, but neither can a few other "Gibbs Homages"
The handle is 80mm, right on the money for most of you but I just prefer them about 5mm shorter.

And the most important question is how does it shave?
Watch this space, I'll update this thread in the morning.

Just my personal opinion - We'll know in the morning, but I do believe that Yaqi have hit the nail on the head with this.

V3 on the Left / V2 on the Right

Yaqi V3.jpg

My Yaqi V3 arrived today and all that I can say is "They sure got it right this time"

The issue with "loosen handle, adjust, tighten handle" is fixed. AND OH YES - It can be over-clocked. Mine goes to right around to 3,5.
The indicator on the adjuster dial isn't lost in the chrome and the numbers are in the correct order.

The twistknob can't be removed from the handle, but neither can a few other "Gibbs Homages"
The handle is 80mm, right on the money for most of you but I just prefer them about 5mm shorter.

Just my personal opinion - We'll know in the morning, but I do believe that Yaqi have hit the nail on the head with this.

View attachment 1371227
Please do was about to order th final cut yesterday wasn't for sure on this kinda wished that had a removable handle

View attachment 1371227

Thanks for the quick post shave brother Clouds. I received an email a few days back from them with their Final Cut adjustable that was revamped & improved. I said “Self, go out on a limb. Just might catch a diamond in the rough”, me says. Glad I did and thanks to you in confirming it today.

Happy shaves amigo…. :thumbsup:

I missed the boat again. Got the email, hit buy now and they were already sold out. I emailed Yaqi and they said another drop will happen in January.

Please do was about to order th final cut yesterday wasn't for sure on this kinda wished that had a removable handle
The whole handle is removable, just the twist knob itself isn't.
Its the same on the Personna Precision

Thanks for the quick post shave brother Clouds. I received an email a few days back from them with their Final Cut adjustable that was revamped & improved. I said “Self, go out on a limb. Just might catch a diamond in the rough”, me says. Glad I did and thanks to you in confirming it today.

Happy shaves amigo…. :thumbsup:
I think that you have brother. I will know for sure in a few hours.

Yaqi Final Cut shave report.

When testing a new razor, I generally prefer the previous days shave to be with a milder razor. Yesterdays shave was with my Gibbs so today was going to be a real toughie for the Yaqi.

I started on 3 for the ATG pass and then upped it to 4 for the WTG pass. There is some blade-feel but its matched with effeciency. My face has two touch-up areas that need doing and I thought "Why The F... Not" and overclocked it to the max and buffed them out in a single pass. Its been a few hours and I'm not feeling too much growth.

As with most razors with this design, its a bit head heavy so the balance is slightly below the adjuster dial but really nothing to fuss about.

Overall conclusion.

The basic head design (D89/DE89/R89) is used but a number of manufacturers and is a decent albeit mildish everyday shaver. Yaqi have just given us the ability to open it up on the fly.

For the $35 cost, this is great value for money and I would say that it shoves out the Pearl as the best "bang for buck current adjustable". JMHO - Its an excellent shaver.

Lastly, I've been asked by a few of you if I am going to make a new handle for mine.
It certainly doesn't need it, but I probably will do at some point - just because its what I do.

SOTD211202.jpg

When testing a new razor, I generally prefer the previous days shave to be with a milder razor. Yesterdays shave was with my Gibbs so today was going to be a real toughie for the Yaqi.

I started on 3 for the ATG pass and then upped it to 4 for the WTG pass. There is some blade-feel but its matched with effeciency. My face has two touch-up areas that need doing and I thought "Why The F... Not" and overclocked it to the max and buffed them out in a single pass. Its been a few hours and I'm not feeling too much growth.

As with most razors with this design, its a bit head heavy so the balance is slightly below the adjuster dial but really nothing to fuss about.

Overall conclusion.

The basic head design (D89/DE89/R89) is used but a number of manufacturers and is a decent albeit mildish everyday shaver. Yaqi have just given us the ability to open it up on the fly.

For the $35 cost, this is great value for money and I would say that it shoves out the Pearl as the best "bang for buck current adjustable". JMHO - Its an excellent shaver.

Lastly, I've been asked by a few of you if I am going to make a new handle for mine.
It certainly doesn't need it, but I probably will do at some point - just because its what I do.

Thanks Bro-ham.... :thumbup1:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Overall conclusion.

Good review, I might have to get one some day. The razor kind of looks like a Gibbs but has the 2 regular blade posts & 2 side rails also and that will give better rigidity and average out any issues with spring inaccuracy's. Yaqi has been experimenting with their razors recently and I have watched a few reviews on this razor and folks seem happy with results. Some day it might go on sale.

Top Bottom