What's new

And The Beat Goes On... Sig’s P320, M17 & 18

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Geez Louise! I love my Sig 320 Scorpion but this is why I carry a 1911. Lots o' redundancy in the safety department. Not saying bad things can't happen but I like my safeties 3 deep!

shoelessjoe

Geez Louise! I love my Sig 320 Scorpion but this is why I carry a 1911. Lots o' redundancy in the safety department. Not saying bad things can't happen but I like my safeties 3 deep!
Redundancy is good ... keeping your finger off a 1911’s trigger equates to 4 safeties, no??

Warning, Rant:
Having a toggle-type safety on a trigger makes about as much sense as having your house’s breaker panel mounted inside the sauna 😳. Funny, how that in 110 & 45 years, respectively, one has never, nor will ever hear 1911-leg or P7-leg phrases being tossed around.

I’m thinking that Sig New Hampshire should fly a few retired SIG Sauer GmbH & Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft engineers over to have a look at their P320 flagship pistols. (End of Rant)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Redundancy is good ... keeping your finger off a 1911’s trigger equates to 4 safeties, no??

Warning, Rant:
Having a toggle-type safety on a trigger makes about as much sense as having your house’s breaker panel mounted inside the sauna 😳. Funny, how that in 110 & 45 years, respectively, one has never, nor will ever hear 1911-leg or P7-leg phrases being tossed around.

I’m thinking that Sig New Hampshire should fly a few retired SIG Sauer GmbH & Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft engineers over to have a look at their P320 flagship pistols. (End of Rant)

This would be where I came in with some cute Glock remark, but I am really beginning to enjoy, pushing away the 1911 away from my chest, while simultaneously flipping off the thumb safety and hearing that audible click of it disengaging as I find the trigger to fire the gun.

Makes me feel all tingly inside... :)

This would be where I came in with some cute Glock remark, but I am really beginning to enjoy, pushing away the 1911 away from my chest, while simultaneously flipping off the thumb safety and hearing that audible click of it disengaging as I find the trigger to fire the gun.

Makes me feel all tingly inside... :)
The irony that you, who started out the ardent glock fan, are coming to enjoy the 1911 at the same time as I, who have always preferred the 1911, am starting to look at Gen5 glocks, is pretty good.

The reality is that they're both good platforms.

A couple months ago I finally lucked into a supposedly used p365 at my local store. I got to put a couple boxes of ball through it then got lucky again and scored a few boxes of the IWI 9mm hp, 115gr I think. It worked well so I've started pocket carrying that instead of one of the two j frames I'd been carrying. Quantity has a quality of its own.

I had finally started carrying the 2nd j frame in a Ritchie Leather ankle holster. After wearing it every day for 3 weeks I give it a solid 2 thumbs up only because I don't have 4. I really like it.

OkieStubble

The irony that you, who started out the ardent glock fan, are coming to enjoy the 1911 at the same time as I, who have always preferred the 1911, am starting to look at Gen5 glocks, is pretty good.

It is interesting, how people end up at the same place after taking different paths. I'm probably going to pick up a couple of Gen5's myself eventually. I have carried some type of glock for over 25 years. But I am searching for that one special 1911. I have a couple of good ones now, don't know if they are that special one yet. :)

The reality is that they're both good platforms.

They are both excellent platforms, they just go about things... differently.

A couple months ago I finally lucked into a supposedly used p365 at my local store. I got to put a couple boxes of ball through it then got lucky again and scored a few boxes of the IWI 9mm hp, 115gr I think. It worked well so I've started pocket carrying that instead of one of the two j frames I'd been carrying. Quantity has a quality of its own.

I have quite a bit of IMI's 9mm HP surplus in storage myself. My ammo search now, has me curious about the efficacy of a 230 gr. .45 ACP in +P and FMJ instead of HP. Since most experienced pistolero's would say, if they had to use ball ammo it would be .45 230 gr ball ammo, it makes me wonder about getting that 230 gr ball, closer to 1000 feet per second. :)

I had finally started carrying the 2nd j frame in a Ritchie Leather ankle holster. After wearing it every day for 3 weeks I give it a solid 2 thumbs up only because I don't have 4. I really like it.

I am in need of a lighter and smaller snub nose revolver, for discreet speed reloads, when carrying a bigger revolver.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have quite a bit of IMI's 9mm HP surplus in storage myself. My ammo search now, has me curious about the efficacy of a 230 gr. .45 ACP in +P and FMJ instead of HP. Since most experienced pistolero's would say, if they had to use ball ammo it would be .45 230 gr ball ammo, it makes me wonder about getting that 230 gr ball, closer to 1000 feet per second. :)

Jeff Cooper suggested that if you had to use .45 ACP FMJ, he would prefer a truncated cone style, but I've not seen to many factory loads with that style of bullet. Plenty of plated bullets in that style for reloading though. (hint, hint)

With primer prices and availability being what they are it's not a good time to try to start reloading.

I've been getting most of what I've gotten lately from SGAmmo.com

shoelessjoe

...I'm probably going to pick up a couple of Gen5's myself eventually. I have carried some type of glock for over 25 years. But I am searching for that one special 1911...

Rumor has it that Gaston decided to snug up the chambers on (all) his Gen5s?? In the past they fiddled with .40S&W chambers, but supposedly all Gen5 barrels will now be getting the treatment ... this should make for an even more accurate Glock.

That special 1911 you’re in pursuit of resides in the safe & occasionally on my person ... just remember: If it ain’t a Pony then it’s just a phony! 🤭😉😉

That safety issue could be a real big deal for guys who carry in condition 1.

I don't do it myself because I think the risks outweigh the rewards, but I know more than a few guys who carry that way.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
With primer prices and availability being what they are it's not a good time to try to start reloading.

I've been getting most of what I've gotten lately from SGAmmo.com

I respectfully disagree, in that it's always a good time to start accumulating reloading gear, when available at reasonable prices. Granted the new reloader may not be able to start reloading right away due to component or equipment shortages. But there's a lot of stuff to invest in, and if you wait for the market to improve, you may be waiting quite a while. Meanwhile you can accumulate reloading gear and spread out the cost of your initial investment over time.

You have a great point on accumulating the tools. While a lot of them are out of stock they'll likely be the first thing to come back. The used market is a good option.
I found something interesting a couple weeks ago that might alleviate the primer problem. I need to order a kit. They label it as being for .22 but mention it as working in primers and percussion caps as well.

OkieStubble

I think both of you, Randy & John @nortac make very salient points.

It does seem to make sense in spreading out the investment by acquiring the equipment over time, while waiting for components like Primers to return.

But what if Primers and other components never return?

I personally, have been thinking about just holding off with my reloading plans. Instead of purchasing stuff and waiting, I can instead just put away the funds to save for the same equipment.

If and when components come back, I will have the funds to go ape $hit crazy and purchase whatever I want.

Components in bulk and my equipment.

If they don’t ever come back, I won’t have a bunch of unused reloading equipment I can’t liquidate.

If I spent the next couple of years collecting equipment and waiting? And waiting some more? If restrictions and future executive orders never let it return?

Not being political, but the newly assigned head of the ATF is a sadistic bastard and if there is anyone who would come after your reloading components it will be him.

I now, would have a bunch of reloading equipment I have never used nor can never sell? Who would buy it when Primers and Powders are a thing of the past?

As I said, not going to be political, but let’s do a hypothetical instead.

If I was the leader of a free nation and was going to suddenly lower some of their freedoms? I would try to take the ability away to fight back.

Including reloading components. If simply reading the “writing on the wall” is breaking the rules and being political?

Then so be it.

Last edited:

Warning, Rant:

Sorry, but yes, you do. Early in the issuing of the P7 to the NHSP, it became famous for making guys dance because it will discharge if you have the trigger depressed and release the cocking handle, and obviously, if you squeeze both at the same time. Training issue. All your fingers want to do the same thing at the same time, and the P7 takes a good bit of acclimation.

The 1911 has a long history of blowing of nuts, butts and thighs, particularly with surplus guns and "home customized" jobs. It doesn't take much to chamfer that sear edge more than spec, either by wear or stoning. In the previous 80-odd years, the media didn't have a vested interest in going after gun incidents and being able to get on the national stage by doing so. Every reporter today dreams of a shooting incident with some exotic twist that kicks them to something more than overnight coverage, so the societal change plays a big part in this perception.

Bear in mind, JMB designed the 1911 without a grip or thumb safety(Condition 3). Both were added based on findings during the 1906-1907 Service Weapon trials, which resulted in the M-1911.

Last edited:

shoelessjoe

@Rob72 ... the P7 does indeed have a unique manual of arms which does necessitate training & practice to master. That, and both (P7) discharge scenarios mentioned above are well known non-issues to those not only familar with the P7’s manual of arms, but also it’s operator’s manual.

Secondly, I did not mean to insinuate that ADs & NDs were non-existent prior to the proliferation of polymer-framed, striker-fired pistols, but rather, that the frequency of both have increased dramatically since said proliferation & as of late & in particular, Sig’s P320.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again ... having a toggle safety on a trigger makes about as much sense as locating a circuit breaker panel in a swimming pool or a sauna room.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
@Rob72 ... the P7 does indeed have a unique manual of arms which does necessitate training & practice to master. That, and both (P7) discharge scenarios mentioned above are well known non-issues to those not only familar with the P7’s manual of arms, but also it’s operator’s manual.

Secondly, I did not mean to insinuate that ADs & NDs were non-existent prior to the proliferation of polymer-framed, striker-fired pistols, but rather, that the frequency of both have increased dramatically since said proliferation & as of late & in particular, Sig’s P320.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again ... having a toggle safety on a trigger makes about as much sense as locating a circuit breaker panel in a swimming pool or a sauna room.

This never would have happened with a cocked and locked 1911. :001_tongu

shoelessjoe

This never would have happened with a cocked and locked 1911. :001_tongu

@simon1 - see what I mean? ... glad things turned out okay for LEO. He’s carrying a 1911, a P7M8 or some other pistol lacking a, dare I say it, Safe Action toggle & he most likely takes the .380 home without incident.

And a one & a two &....

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You have a great point on accumulating the tools. While a lot of them are out of stock they'll likely be the first thing to come back. The used market is a good option.
I found something interesting a couple weeks ago that might alleviate the primer problem. I need to order a kit. They label it as being for .22 but mention it as working in primers and percussion caps as well.

Oh hayllll no. 🤔 Some respect for chemistry please!

AA

Top Bottom