What's new

newbie to shaving brushes, need help please

@gwsmallwood I do actually have a muhle badger shaving brush no idea what size knot it is but it feels too soft but it's my first ever badger so I got no idea if that's actually how the badger brushes are meant to be

The omega boar bristle brush I had which I threw away felt more firmer which I liked

Cool thanks for information mate, yea I think I'm going to like the pearl 30mm knot shaving brush, well that's what I'm hoping lol

On a side note when I watched your first ever vid on youtube and you mentioned you were a practicing christian from what I can remember off the top of my head, so I wanted to ask is it permissible or not for you christians to use badger hair or boar bristle brushes? Just curious ☺

Would also be interested to hear from anyone one else who follows different religions like judaism, sikhism, hinduism, buddhism etc etc
That's a great question. There are different traditions of Christianity, as I'm sure there are with many religions. I'm sure there are some that place restrictions on things like that, but most Christians do not. I found the boars to be too rough for my tastes anyway, so it wouldn't affect me in that regard either way.

@gwsmallwood I do actually have a muhle badger shaving brush no idea what size knot it is but it feels too soft but it's my first ever badger so I got no idea if that's actually how the badger brushes are meant to be

The omega boar bristle brush I had which I threw away felt more firmer which I liked

Boar is definitely going to have the most backbone of any of your various brush fibers. I'm surprised you didn't like horse hair. It's supposed to be a close second to boar. I know @Rudy Vey has dealt with horse hair quite a bit, maybe he could recommend a horse knot for you to try.

Reactions: saj
That's a great question. There are different traditions of Christianity, as I'm sure there are with many religions. I'm sure there are some that place restrictions on things like that, but most Christians do not. I found the boars to be too rough for my tastes anyway, so it wouldn't affect me in that regard either way.

Boar is definitely going to have the most backbone of any of your various brush fibers. I'm surprised you didn't like horse hair. It's supposed to be a close second to boar. I know @Rudy Vey has dealt with horse hair quite a bit, maybe he could recommend a horse knot for you to try.
I follow sunni islam, just curious what sect of christianity do you follow?

Tbh I'm not clued up on the different sects of christianity

Well I've never actually used a horse hair shaving brush but I have this horse hair beard brush that I got from ebay uk, it's good quality and has a nice feel but feels a bit too soft for me tbh as I have a thick coarse beard, so it doesn't get used that much tbf @Rudy Vey am I making a wrong assumption about horse hair shaving brushes by comparing it to the softness of my horse hair beard brush?

I was thinking should I give it a go as a shaving brush? Lol 🤷

IMG_20210504_174243.jpg
IMG_20210504_174328.jpg
IMG_20210504_174304.jpg

I follow sunni islam, just curious what sect of christianity do you follow?

In Christianity, we call them denominations instead of sects. Not sure why, I've never bothered to research that. Personally, I'm non-denominational. I don't even really like the term "Christian" because it isn't well defined. I prefer the term Disciple or Follower of Jesus. That meaning is very clearly spelled out by Jesus himself. I'm happy to answer any other questions, but it might be a good idea to take them to a private message conversation so we don't derail your thread.

In Christianity, we call them denominations instead of sects. Not sure why, I've never bothered to research that. Personally, I'm non-denominational. I don't even really like the term "Christian" because it isn't well defined. I prefer the term Disciple or Follower of Jesus. That meaning is very clearly spelled out by Jesus himself. I'm happy to answer any other questions, but it might be a good idea to take them to a private message conversation so we don't derail your thread.
yea cool, ill take you up on that mate

yea sorry my fault for derailing, im a bit of a chatter box lol :)

yea cool, ill take you up on that mate

yea sorry my fault for derailing, im a bit of a chatter box lol :)
I certainly don't mind, but the forum is a bit sensitive to discussions about religion and politics, so better to do that in private messages.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

Sorry, I have never used horse hair for shaving brushes, the only horse hair I deal with is when I brush out my horse, which is shedding like crazy in the last few weeks. But, whenever I cut some mane or tail hair, I think it could be maybe used for a brush knot....

Last edited:
Sorry, I have never used horse hair for shaving brushes, the only horse I deal with is when I brush out my horse, which is shedding like crazy in the last few weeks. But, whenever I cut some mane or tail hair, I think it could be maybe used for a brush knot....
Sorry, not sure where I got that from. I thought you used quite a few horse hair knots.

On a side note when I watched your first ever vid on youtube and you mentioned you were a practicing christian from what I can remember off the top of my head, so I wanted to ask is it permissible or not for you christians to use badger hair or boar bristle brushes? Just curious

Dear sir, roughly Christians are divided in Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox. Then, mainly the Protestants have many more branches. I would be extremely surprised if any of them had any limitation on the use of any animal hair in making a brush. I have never heard of such a thing.

Kind regards and happy shaves.

So I got the pearl shaving brush delivered today and used it today, I absolutely love it, really nice having a bigger shaving brush for shaving the head, I could understand why some facial shaver may find it to be too big for their face though

Would it be for me getting anything bigger than 30mm knot?

Liking the look and size of the razorock f400

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Would it be for me getting anything bigger than 30mm knot?

Only you can know for certain and in retrospect.

In the meantime, enjoy your Pearl 30mm and get the most comfort you may convince it to provide.

Would the F400’s 34mm knot really offer that much more comfort?

You could start with this and wake your way down…

hey people so im not a newbie to using de razors and blades but when it comes to shaving brushes i consider myself a newbie tbh i dont really know anything about shvaing brushes and i dont understand anything about knots and anything related to shaving brushes tbh

i know that shaving brushes come in badger hair, boar bristle, horse hair and synthetic

what would you recommend for someone like me?

i did get this cheapo from savers uk the other day called erasmic which was only a few quid and i got a wilkinson sword shaving brush the same day too

this is the erasmic one
and this is the wilkinson sword one

i did get a omega boar bristle brush but being muslim i didnt realise it wasnt permissible to use so i've since thrown it away and yea i regret throwing it away because i couldve given it someone as a PIF instead, i also threw away my good quality kent hair brushes because those were also boar bristle too

i do have a muhle badger hair brush yea its good quality and all but believe it or not i prefered the synthetic brush over it,
as the synthetic just felt better and i dont know if this is the right word but maybe stronger or should i say firmer?

the badger just feels way too soft tbh

im open to the type of brush i get, as long as its either badger or synthetic,
i dont really want a horse hair brush because i got a beard horse hair brush recently and its just way too soft,
so i assume that the shaving brush that comes in horse hair would be way too soft too, or maybe im wrong assuming that? i dont know...

i do like the look of those yaqi shaving brushes tbh, look really nice....

so like i said i dont know what size would be good for me?

also dont understand knots like i said earlier

so yea any help would be appreciate like always

thanks saj :)

I wonder if anyone makes a nice synthetic boar? Would that be permitted?

Didn't read the whole thread, but something I think everyone should try at least once is a small knot brush. The Wee Scot is the king of small at 13mm, but anything in the 19mm and under sizing counts.

It might not be for you, but it also might be your favorite thing. Gotta try it and find out!

Didn't read the whole thread, but something I think everyone should try at least once is a small knot brush. The Wee Scot is the king of small at 13mm, but anything in the 19mm and under sizing counts.

It might not be for you, but it also might be your favorite thing. Gotta try it and find out!
13mm? must be fun using that lool

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse

I LOVE the Wee Scot brush for face lathering!

Top Bottom