What's new

The Ammo Shortage

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Picked up a couple of 100 rnd. boxes of CCI .22LR Subsonic HPs at Academy Sports this AM, they didn't have what I was looking for. They actually had some 20 rnd boxes of defensive 9mm HPs, but I was good on those.

Local gun shop had boxes of .350 legend fmj for pre pandemic prices. 2 max. Had hundreds of boxes. My brother just ordered one and was in asking when it might be in. The salesman pointed out the ammo just in. I’m sure it went quickly.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Academy Sports did not get another shipment of ammo today, so only left overs from yesterday were available. I picked up another 200 CCI .22LR Subsonic HPs.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Struck out at Academy today, they didn't have anything I wanted, but they had lots of .223/5.56. Winchester M193 500 rounds for $299. A fair amount of 12 ga. shells. Some 9mm, and a single white box .38 Spl.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
SK and Lapua are pumping out rimfire to the distributor (Capstone) and dealers like it's going out of style. Target Sports, Ammofast, and Midsouth all have .22LR in stock as I type! Between that and stuff like Hornady 6.5CM starting to show up I am feeling optimistic. I've even see a few wee price drops!

Looks like Target Sports has no .22 in stock now.

A shortage of premium target .22 ammo is a new thing. I have shot .22 benchrest for over 10 years. This is the first time suppliers like Killough and Champions Choice have been short on top tier .22 ammo. During the 2012/2013 .22 ammo shortage it was not difficult to find the premium stuff.

Last edited:

nikonNUT

Looks like Target Sports has no .22 in stock now.
I promise it wasn't me! :lol: Target Sports has gone off the rails on pricing (just like most others TBH). SK Standard Plus for $11.00/box or SK Long Range Match for $18.99/box? Hard pass. A little hunting and patience will score you the same for $5.90 and $8.75 respectively. Heck, you can get Lapua Center-X or Eley Tenex for what Target Sports wants for SK Long Range...

The shortage has changed the .22 BR game. Most of the people I shoot with would buy a box or two of different lot numbers or machine number Eley Match and test it. Then, they would load up on the ammo that worked well in their gun. Now, the scores have gone down overall or the guy sitting on a pile of ammo his gun likes is doing all the winning.

nikonNUT

The shortage has changed the .22 BR game. Most of the people I shoot with would buy a box or two of different lot numbers or machine number Eley Match and test it. Then, they would load up on the ammo that worked well in their gun. Now, the scores have gone down overall or the guy sitting on a pile of ammo his gun likes is doing all the winning.
Yeah... A practice in PRS rimfire/NLR22/NRL22X is to deliver or ship your rifle to the Lapua Performance Center (Or Anschutz North America) and have them fixture the gun and test. Once they find a lot the rifle likes the owner orders a case of said ammo but even Lapua is cutting back on appointments as case quantities of ammo from the same lot are scarce right now.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I need to drag out my old press...I have everything for .38 loads. Single stage press though.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I would be happy with a 1000 rounds of .22 LR. It is something fun to plink with. The outdoor range that allows rifles may flood so it may not be important either.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So ammo is still an issue? I haven’t looked or paid attention all year, or last year. I’m planning on some shooting over Memorial Day weekend. Maybe I should just sacrifice a single box of each caliber.…

Top Bottom