What's new

how to remove soap buildup from razor head?

My water is soft, and any soap scum build-up is slow. However, I often visit my parents who have very, very hard water, and the resistant residue is evident after only a shave or two.

Dawn usually works if the build-up isn't too bad, but you need something stronger after a while like white vinegar or most bath cleaning products. I would just recommend that you don't let you razors soak too long in anything, particularly if they're plated.

Soap will come off with hot water and some elbow grease, so that's either not soap or some elbow grease is required.
If it's limescale buildup from hard water ya need to start maintaining your razors regularly.

Give the white stuff a scrape with something plastic or wood, like a toothpick. If it's limescale the bulk will come off easily.

I've often wondered why Feather decided to electroplate their SS razor. Maybe they found it was prone to staining without the matt chrome plating. Dunno.

Make sure you're using the right "flavor" of Dawn. They have several and its confusing. Your instincts might have you prefer one of the "antibacterial" flavors but those aren't the right stuff. What you want is Dawn Ultra 3x. See photo below. Workw better than the others for soap scum removal. Don't worry about "antibacterial" -that's mostly just a marketing term. Plain Dawn Ultra kills bacteria quite well and is what (not by name but by type) the FDA prescribes for restaurant sanitation.

20210502_105905.jpg

So far my razors avoid the build-up of sediment or rust, once every two weeks I wash the razor with soap, decontaminate it with alcohol and apply a thin layer of machine oil

For my timeless ti sb and oc I just run a pipe cleaner through the nooks and crannies. You can see the dried soap residue actually fly off the metal in a poof of dust.
Seems to work well for me.

Here are the before and after pictures. What I have tried so far:
(1) soak in laundry rinse for a few hours then scrub with ultra soft tooth brush (my only option)
(2) soak in hot water for a few hours (water cools off obviously) then scrub with same ultra soft toothbrush
(3) use alcohol wipe to try and scrape off some of the difficult bits.

As you can tell it's still not clean and I have no idea how to get the various holes cleaned.
(4) Use toothpaste with a toothbrush to give a good scrub and then rinse, scrub under warm with a toothbrush followed by wipe clean.

You claim you tried hot water, but how hot? Did you try boiling the razor (in pure tap water)?
If you're boiling the razor in the same hard water that gave you the mineral deposits in the first place, you're just exacerbating the problem. For a lime/mineral buildup, I'd go with a bathroom cleaning product such as Scrubbing Bubbles. Just don't soak it in the stuff for hours. A minute or two followed by a good scrubbing and thorough rinsing should take care of the problem.

Here are the before and after pictures. What I have tried so far:
(1) soak in laundry rinse for a few hours then scrub with ultra soft tooth brush (my only option)
(2) soak in hot water for a few hours (water cools off obviously) then scrub with same ultra soft toothbrush
(3) use alcohol wipe to try and scrape off some of the difficult bits.

As you can tell it's still not clean and I have no idea how to get the various holes cleaned.
Since then I have been wiping my razor dry after each use and here's how it looks now.

Attachments

• IMG_0618.JPG
    IMG_0618.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 19
I have hard water in my current residence and I clean my razor after every shave. It is like new, spotless.
Yeah I wouldn't have had this build up if I was more disciplined at the time that I acquired the razor. I was always in a hurry and never properly rinsed and dried any of my implements. This is also the reason why the finish on my L'Occitane Plisson shaving brush is peeling off even though the knot is practically new.

Top Bottom