What's new

newbie to shaving brushes, need help please

hey people so im not a newbie to using de razors and blades but when it comes to shaving brushes i consider myself a newbie tbh i dont really know anything about shvaing brushes and i dont understand anything about knots and anything related to shaving brushes tbh

i know that shaving brushes come in badger hair, boar bristle, horse hair and synthetic

what would you recommend for someone like me?

i did get this cheapo from savers uk the other day called erasmic which was only a few quid and i got a wilkinson sword shaving brush the same day too

this is the erasmic one
and this is the wilkinson sword one

i did get a omega boar bristle brush but being muslim i didnt realise it wasnt permissible to use so i've since thrown it away and yea i regret throwing it away because i couldve given it someone as a PIF instead, i also threw away my good quality kent hair brushes because those were also boar bristle too

i do have a muhle badger hair brush yea its good quality and all but believe it or not i prefered the synthetic brush over it,
as the synthetic just felt better and i dont know if this is the right word but maybe stronger or should i say firmer?

the badger just feels way too soft tbh

im open to the type of brush i get, as long as its either badger or synthetic,
i dont really want a horse hair brush because i got a beard horse hair brush recently and its just way too soft,
so i assume that the shaving brush that comes in horse hair would be way too soft too, or maybe im wrong assuming that? i dont know...

i do like the look of those yaqi shaving brushes tbh, look really nice....

so like i said i dont know what size would be good for me?

also dont understand knots like i said earlier

so yea any help would be appreciate like always

thanks saj :)

The Yaqi synthetics are very good. I'd recommend a cashmere or tuxedo knot, probably in 24mm.

Google "shaving brush knots" for a detailed look at them, and what the differences are.
thanks mate, okay cool i will do

by the way i saw a vid from geofatboy about learn about shaving brushes which was helpful too, still got a lot to learn tbh

yea i noticed yaqi got some shaving brushes with defects on sale on their aliexpress store and ive read that reviews saying theres nothing noticeably wrong with them, even read someone on another forum say the same too

which yaqi brushes you got mate? just synthetics or badger too?

@saj1985

Yaqi and RazoRock for synthetic brushes are good bet, especially when starting out so you don't risk putting too much money on the brush.

As far as I can understand from your post, you prefer some backbone and density for the synthetic brushes.

I prefer the same characteristics in the synthetic brushes, and I've selected a few brushes to be purchased later.

# Yaqi 26/ 28 mm Tuxedo knot (Good backbone and density)

# Simpsons Trafalgar T2/ T3 synthetic (great backbone and density)

# Yaqi Alpine knot (Medium backbone, good splay)

# RazoRock 400 Noir brush (Great backbone, ergonomic handle VFM)

These brushes are suitable for whipping up lather from Creams and Soaps alike and can be considered as safe bet.

thanks mate, okay cool i will do

by the way i saw a vid from geofatboy about learn about shaving brushes which was helpful too, still got a lot to learn tbh

yea i noticed yaqi got some shaving brushes with defects on sale on their aliexpress store and ive read that reviews saying theres nothing noticeably wrong with them, even read someone on another forum say the same too

which yaqi brushes you got mate? just synthetics or badger too?
My Yaqis are all synthetic. Can't go wrong with one of theirs.

Reactions: saj
Yaqi is probably the best option to experiment with good quality synthetic brushes at reasonable prices, particularly if you're in the UK. Most of the synthetics by American vendors are just rebranded or custom-designed Yaqis.

You can try an inexpensive Omega synthetic from a UK retailer like Connaught. I would recommend the less expensive S-Brushes over the Hi-Brushes, as most people seem to prefer them regardless of cost.

Kent is also now making all their shaving brushes in synthetic. Their silvertips were top of the line, although I haven't heard much about the very new synthetics.

For ‘value’ it is tough to beat synthetics or boars!

The issue with badgers is that the price point is simply higher (at least for me). I recommend that you try a ’quality’ badger at some point. Simpsons ‘best’ or ‘super’ grade would be a fine place to start. Pick one with an appealing size and handle for your birthday! :a29:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
That Erasmic also looks like a boar brush. A ‘tuxedo’ knot feels soft on the face, but has enough backbone for novices like me. And it can still give brush burn if stuff is overdone, so there’s that. While I think it’s good enough, Yaqi has so many new offerings with improvements.

The Italian Barber sells a synthetic that is a copy of the old Rubberset brushes. I’ve got two of them and ended up storing my old Badger away. I now alternate between the two synthetic brushes.
EC7D9EE6-C7E7-4EFF-9147-65D6FD1CEB84.jpeg

Yaqi is probably the best option to experiment with good quality synthetic brushes at reasonable prices, particularly if you're in the UK. Most of the synthetics by American vendors are just rebranded or custom-designed Yaqis.

You can try an inexpensive Omega synthetic from a UK retailer like Connaught. I would recommend the less expensive S-Brushes over the Hi-Brushes, as most people seem to prefer them regardless of cost.

Kent is also now making all their shaving brushes in synthetic. Their silvertips were top of the line, although I haven't heard much about the very new synthetics.
How comes @branford ??

Simpson Trafalgar and/or Omega Roma lines cost about €20-€25 (depending on the size), much the same as "better" Yaqi brushes. The difference obviously is that you can get a Simpson/Omega from any major retailer in UK / Continental Europe within 2-3 business days, while you need to wait for Yaqis 2-3 months to arrive via AliExpress.

I know a lot of people sing praises to Yaqi, but I for one don't want anything coming from China, when I can have a hand-made, proven quality brush like Simpson or Omega made in Europe, with all the quality control measures in place.

I'd go as far as to say that I cannot possibly comprehend how anyone in their right mind would choose Yaqi over Simpson or Omega at the same price and 30-fold delivery time, but then I guess it's YMMV... or plain ignorance... or whatever...

I agree with RazoRock suggestions, but I haven't tried Yaqi yet.

I have some badgers: van der Hagen (poor results and no longer use it), Vulfix Super Badger model 43 something or other (makes good lather but a little bit floppy), and Simpsons (Commodore X2 and Berkeley 46 models in Best Badger - both make excellent lather, have dense knots, and have a good mix of backbone without scratchiness). Price points of these Vulfix and Simpson brushes were $50ish, as I recall.

As far as synthetics, I have an Omega Sintex (good backbone and lathering capability, but very scratchy; under $10), RazoRock Barber 24 (easy latherer, soft yet with a rubbery backbone; $20), and a Muhle Silvertip Fibre (easy latherer and a successful attempt at mimicking badger hair, but with a handle that is almost too small for me; $50+ and perhaps not the best value for the price).

So from my limited personal experience, I would suggest a RazoRock for a synthetic, and one of the Simpsons for a badger. If I buy more brushes, I will probably go synthetic. Hope this helps.

How comes @branford ??

Simpson Trafalgar and/or Omega Roma lines cost about €20-€25 (depending on the size), much the same as "better" Yaqi brushes. The difference obviously is that you can get a Simpson/Omega from any major retailer in UK / Continental Europe within 2-3 business days, while you need to wait for Yaqis 2-3 months to arrive via AliExpress.

I know a lot of people sing praises to Yaqi, but I for one don't want anything coming from China, when I can have a hand-made, proven quality brush like Simpson or Omega made in Europe, with all the quality control measures in place.

I'd go as far as to say that I cannot possibly comprehend how anyone in their right mind would choose Yaqi over Simpson or Omega at the same price and 30-fold delivery time, but then I guess it's YMMV... or plain ignorance... or whatever...

I offered a both the British Kent and Italian Omega beside the Yaqi. Nevertheless, Yaqi is probably the best value, with individual brushes widely reviewed and well-liked.

As for Simpson, not everyone is a fan (which is a topic by itself), particularly concerning their synthetics, and many are high-priced for someone still getting a sense of their brush preferences like the OP. Not everyone can afford or wishes to spend that type of money, or has issues with Chinese brushes, no less when there are other good options available. YMMV.

I offered a both the British Kent and Italian Omega beside the Yaqi. Nevertheless, Yaqi is probably the best value, with individual brushes widely reviewed and well-liked.

As for Simpson, not everyone is a fan (which is a topic by itself), particularly concerning their synthetics, and many are high-priced for someone still getting a sense of their brush preferences like the OP. Not everyone can afford or wishes to spend that type of money, or has issues with Chinese brushes, no less when there are other good options available. YMMV.
@branford ... you have indeed. The problem is your information is misleading and inaccurate.

As said, Simpson Trafalgar line costs the same as Yaqi, while hand-made in the UK, delivers within UK within 2 business days door-to-door. How is that "too expensive" compared to bogus Chinese Yaqi, which delivers with 2-3 months???

Here is an exact comparison - T2 synthetic 24mm knot from a well-known UK vendor @ GBP 17.50

1619971614655.png

Yaqi synthetic 24mm knot @ GBP 17.14

1619971808737.png

Same size knot, same price. Simpson hand-made in the UK, Yaqi made in China... Simpson you'll have tomorrow, Yaqi takes a month (best case scenario).

WTH are you talking about??

Bogus Chinese Yaqi?

I'm not sure what you mean. The Yaqi brushes aren't counterfeits or copies of any other brushes, and a great many people are quite pleased with the quality of their products. While you are certainly free to not want to purchase any products from China, others are free to do so.

I simply offered a broad selection of some of the most common, available and well-received value synthetic brush offerings for someone in the UK, and my list wasn't exclusive. The Simpsons Trafalgar is indeed another option,but one I'm not very familiar with, particularly compared to the Yaqis, both direct from China as well as brushes from vendors like Maggards and West Coast Shaving that use Yaqi to manufacture their own branded brushes.

Some good synthetic brush recommendations. I’ll add PAA Shavings synthetic brushes to the list. Retro inspired handles, different knots, great for both bowl and face lathering. Worth checking out.

Top Bottom