What's new

Mistura May Madness

Thanks to @JAHE for the thread title.

It's a simple plan. Use a mixed knot - Semogue Mistura or otherwise - for the month of May. If your Mistura, like mine, is a marvel, might as well maximize and make May a month of mad merriment. If you have multiple Misturas, mix it up, man! Make May marvelous!

Your knot may be mixed, but your results won't be.

I'm going to be using an SOC Mistura in Taj Resin and a Barbear Classico Mistura (from 2013, I believe), but truly, any mixed knot is fine. Join in if you like. Report only if you feel like it.

I'm in.
Might as well carry on from where April left off.

I only have the one "Mistura" type brush. But, as I shave every other day, there should be plenty enough time for it to dry off properly.

I'll post some pictures of the kit as and when - hopefully. :thumbsup:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Oh I’m in and I’ll also carry on from previously. I’ve got the butterscotch mistura working very well for maybe a month or so now.

I won’t be in, but having spent the whole month of March with the Mistura I fully endorse this venture :c9:
730F5EA3-BDA2-4FC0-8D34-B902EEC4FB9D.jpeg

20210415_080418-01-01.jpeg

I'm in.

Since I only own one Mistura (SOC with a lovely cherry wood handle) I might chime in every other day (giving the Mistura enough time to dry properly between uses).

But the good news is the is a tiny parcel waiting to be dispatched at the airport of Lisbon. It should arrive in Germany in course of MMM...

Excellent to have a few guys joining me. I'm looking to keep it casual and fun. It's just shaving, right! I will make sure to post regularly, but I'm not into daily post commitments: post as much or little as you like, use your Mistura as often as you want.

I used my Semogue 620 one last time today before embarking on this 31-day party. I will lead off with the Barbear Classico tomorrow, alternating it with my SOC ivory. I should know these brushes quite well - if I don't already - after 16 and 15 uses, respectively, in the next month. Who knows? I may pick up a butterscotch along the way if I can get a clearance sale together this week and knock the den down to size first.

The only one I have tried is the Omega Mighty Midget, even if it is pure badger it lathers great and have been using it this week with the Via Barberia Fructis soap. Next on my list are a Semogue (maybe a Torga) and an Omega Badger Plus.

IMG_20210429_102229_666.jpg

Cheers

Indeed, but what I meant is that it uses pure badger instead of super badger like the Omega´s Badger Plus or Finest Badger like the Semogues... resulting in being a little more scritchy at first uses.. I reckon the feel on those brushes will be different...

Cheers
I know what you mean, the Mixed Midget is super scritchy compared to the Semogue which uses Finest.

I'm in and I'm glad it's casual. I just completed back-to-back fixed events, and I've only used two brushes (the last being an Omega 10049 I received from TBoner; thanks again :cool: ) in the last two months. I'm ready to get to some new arrivals that I haven't had a chance to try yet. But I plan to use my Maggard 24mm Mixed 70/30 set in a Yaqi Sagrada Familia handle for this event...

20210327_130550.jpg

Great! I'm all for enjoying your shave, and if fixed commitments prevents that, don't do it, man! I'm still going to be changing up my software and probably rotating two DEs and a Micromatic, so I'll have enough variety to keep things interesting for myself.

Reactions: bjm
Great! I'm all for enjoying your shave, and if fixed commitments prevents that, don't do it, man! I'm still going to be changing up my software and probably rotating two DEs and a Micromatic, so I'll have enough variety to keep things interesting for myself.
I assure you, I make an attempt to enjoy every shave regardless of the gear in use. I had already prepared myself for a full month with the Mixed 70/30 without reservations. Being able to change razors, blades, and soaps will make all the difference. I've managed the last nine weeks without the other brushes so I imagine another four weeks won't matter much.

Last edited:

linty1

My wallet cries.
I'm in and I'm glad it's casual. I just completed back-to-back fixed events, and I've only used two brushes (the last being an Omega 10049 I received from TBoner; thanks again :cool: ) in the last two months. I'm ready to get to some new arrivals that I haven't had a chance to try yet. But I plan to use my Maggard 24mm Mixed 70/30 set in a Yaqi Sagrada Familia handle for this event...

View attachment 1260105

Thats a nice colour on the handle there! I only have the one Mistura brush so it'll be that, but I'm trying to log some uses on it anyways, so its all good.

Thats a nice colour on the handle there! I only have the one Mistura brush so it'll be that, but I'm trying to log some uses on it anyways, so its all good.
Thanks. AliExpress had a Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia Tuxedo (defect) on sale for $7 last year and I bought one. It turned out the defect was not in the handle (as I could see), but in the bristles; it was a fan shape and the loft was only 46mm.

I never got to a point where I enjoyed using the brush and I have other Tuxedo brushes (including a 24/53 Sagrada Familia), so I figured I wouldn't waste time with the "defect" and decided to try my hand at replacing the knot. The brush only cost me $7 and I didn't care for it anyway, so it made the perfect test subject. Even if I had decided to sell it or give it away, it would have cost at least $5 to mail it.

After a few scary moments with a Dremel the handle was ready for some silicone and the Mixed 70/30. I've used it a few times for head shaves just to get past the shedding phase, but I haven't had a chance to use it beyond that. I figure Mistura May Madness is the perfect opportunity to try it out and watch it develop.

Last edited:

linty1

My wallet cries.
Oh yeh the Dremal can "run" on you, especially for peculiar shaped things that might be too fragile to really clamp. Where did you get the 70/30 knot from?

Reactions: bjm
Top Bottom