What's new

4 Month May-August Sabbatical (QUADSAB)

I open a 4 month Sabbatical thread, since there is huge public demand for it (myself and my faithful hawk), free to join up until MAY 3. The purpose is to have smaller Sabbatical available for those who do not wish to go on the yearly Sabbatical or fail it at some point and want a second chance. So, the objective is to stop spending money on shaving gear and use what you already have, allowing to thin down your stock or stop/delay further purchases.

The Sabbatical is open to gentle and not as gentle men alike! :laugh:

aa.png
1.png

The year is divided in quadrimesters/quadmesters/4 month periods:
- QUADSAB 1: January-April
- QUADSAB 2: May-August.
- QUADSAB 3: September-December.

Restock windows for members who complete a QUADSAB and want to enter the next one: The first 14 days of each QUADSAB. Which means:
- January 1-14
- May 1-14
- September 1-14

THE RULES:

1. Sabbatical starts at 12:00:00am (local time) on May 3rd, 2021.
  2. Sabbatical ends at 11:59:59pm (local time) on August 31, 2021.
  3. Start and end time are based on your local time zone.
  4. Sabbatical is restricted to shaving items only, but if you want to you can try not purchasing whatever other AD's you may have (NIB, Brown Leaf, etc.)
  5. No purchases are allowed during the Sabbatical period (aside for the Exceptions listed below). NONE. No purchases even if you get a gift card to WCS, eBay, Amazon, etc. This also means that you should have enough stuff to see out about 4 months of shaving.
  6. Gifts. You cannot ask for, solicit, hint at, etc., gifts in any way. PIFs. You may OFFER PIFs (including associated shipping costs), but the PIF excludes those B&B members who are part of the annual sabbatical. You
    may not enter or request a PIF.
  7. If a shaving item breaks during the Sabbatical and you have no backup available, one replacement may be purchased.
  8. Functional maintenance, such as straight razor honing, does not count as a purchased good and is thus allowed.
  9. Check-in at least once in the last 10 days of each quadrimester to declare you are still in. If you fail earlier, please report in.

There are five exceptions to the purchasing of items :

1. B&B Group Buys or B&B Branded Items, because some are limited edition and all are good deals. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify. The annual Mr. Bingle exchange is also exempt.
  2. One named item of your choice. This is your personal exception. You must name the item before the start of the Sabbatical. It has to be relatively specific; no blanket statements qualify (e.g. "a razor or a brush" is too vague"). Use your best judgement here. Yearly Sabbatical members who wish to join, automatically carry on the same choice they made for the yearly Sabbatical.
  3. Sue Moore Auction Items. This is a great cause and we should all try to participate in it if possible.
  4. For anyone participating in the previous Quadrimester Sabbatical, a restock window of 14 days at the beginning of the next Quadrimester is allocated for making any and all shaving-related purchases as long as you've successfully completed the previous Quadrimester Sabbatical.
  5. Items you purchase as gifts for others are allowed. You are not allowed to buy solicited gifts for other members of the Sabbatical.

Participants should copy the previous names on the list, adding their own at the bottom, declaring also an exception, if they have one. One at a time, don't push, there is room for everyone!

Last edited:
What the heck, I'm in.
  1. Burundian Hawk - No exception.
  2. RumpleBearskin - Exception: The Drew Dick custom straight I have on order already.

And here i was thinking that i would write history doing the first solo Sabbatical! Well, with my hawk as guest star! :laugh: So we will be a duo and a hawk!

If you have already paid for the Drew Dick straight, i believe you can choose another exception item. Although i am not 100% certain, but reading the rules i posted... I am just staying!

Look at it this way! You can't possibly fail this Sabbatical! We are just 2! I certainly can't! Imagine the disgrace, to fail my 1st Sabbatical of my own inspiration! :lol1:

Well, 2 and a hawk this time, 3 and a hawk in the next one! This is how you slowly build an army!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
  2. RumpleBearskin - Exception: The Drew Dick custom straight I have on order already.
  3. JWCowboy - Exception: Wolfman only if my name comes up on the wait list, not one through BST or other means.

3. JWCowboy - Exception: Wolfman only if my name comes up on the wait list, not one through BST or other means.
  4. Bjlefebvre - Exception: Blackland Era.

Last edited:
All right! So we are 4 till now. I am surprised. We also have 4 months ahead. But 1 month is August, where i will probably be on vacation since i will be fully vaccinated. So, i calculate, that in 4 months, i will use 19 brushes. Hardly all of them, but you can't take many brushes with you on vacation, can you... I write it just for the record, so that nobody thinks that i cheated and bought more brushes. I don't have just 19 obviously. Which is also why it is a good idea to go on Sabbatical, isn't it! :lol1: Oh, this will be fun! My wife will like it too, knowing i can't occupy more space!

Just tell her you're saving your money for a really big brush.

Money isn't the problem. Storage space in an apartment is finite though. Besides, my wife knows that i don't buy expensive brushes. I took care of that long time ago. I diluted the purchases in 14 years and i made sure to show her on 11/11 how cheap Yaqis are. Then i also encouraged her to buy Yaqi makeup brushes for herself. Of course she doesn't know that in total i 've spent €165 on Yaqis alone, but after all, i could have spent much more on expensive aftershaves, soaps, moisturizers and other things which are of secondary or no importance to me.

At the end, it is like €11 for Yaqis per year over 14 year period. Even adding the rest of the brushes, it must be something less than €50 per year. But at some point, your shaving supplies start to occupy too much space and reason and wife ally together to stop you. She does now that i have an unhealthy (according to her!) number of brushes... I now have all kind of brushes anyway and backup for my favorite ones. No point in more. I also have too much soap, so this one needs thinning down.

I'll definitely be following along in spirit! I almost never buy anything and when I do it's all at once. With the pandemic I've been buying because I have time to play and expirement. But when life gets back to normal, which means busy, I won't have time to think about it and will just glide on what I have.

Before December I hadn't bought a single thing in over five years! Maybe even almost ten.

So I'd love to join but I might want to buy something!

But I'll support from afar. And cheer you on!

And if you encounter a panther during your sabbatical/Restraint, fear not, that's just me!

I'll definitely be following along in spirit! I almost never buy anything and when I do it's all at once. With the pandemic I've been buying because I have time to play and expirement. But when life gets back to normal, which means busy, I won't have time to think about it and will just glide on what I have.

Before December I hadn't bought a single thing in over five years! Maybe even almost ten.

So I'd love to join but I might want to buy something!

But I'll support from afar. And cheer you on!

And if you encounter a panther during your sabbatical/Restraint, fear not, that's just me!

Thank you very much for the encouraging post! It is perfectly understandable. You are too young to stop purchasing anything at all! And you also have children, as i remember! You may be prudent to start preparing a shaving inheritance for them too! You know, like you put aside money for their education, put aside some shaving gear for their shave too! :laugh: I tried to convince my wife this is why i had so many brushes, but she didn't believe me! I still can't understand why!

I hadn't bought anything in 2 years too, but within the 1st month of registering... I blame the quarantine though! I have been in lockdown for over a year now, so since i couldn't go out freely, i think that seeing the postman coming to me, was a psychological way of me becoming free again! :lol: Yes, yes! This sounds a good explanation! It is not like i have an addiction or something! :angel:

Right on cue, on the very first day of this QUADSAB, WSP launched a limited run on its Matterhorn soap/splash. I was half-tempted, given it's a limited release and I've always heard good things on the scent, even though Lord knows I don't need any more soaps.

But the collective voices of my three QUADSAB colleagues shouted out not to do it. And I abstained.

I am still pure. On QUADSAB, anyway.

Right on cue, on the very first day of this QUADSAB, WSP launched a limited run on its Matterhorn soap/splash. I was half-tempted, given it's a limited release and I've always heard good things on the scent, even though Lord knows I don't need any more soaps.

But the collective voices of my three QUADSAB colleagues shouted out not to do it. And I abstained.

I am still pure. On QUADSAB, anyway.

That's the spirit! Although since i organized the whole thing in a hurry, i put as starting date May 3rd... But i also had a thought pass from my mind today and i did the same. I thought "well, it's May, forget the technicality, pretend the QUADSAB is already active. You are full already!" and i didn't do anything. :laugh:

Top Bottom