What's new

Most effective way to thoroughly clean vintage gold plated razors and bakelite/plastic injector razors

I have a few US Aristocrats, which I was unable to clean completlely due to fear of damaging the gold plating and also a type M adjustable Schick injector. I have a small ultrasonic cleaner, but I think if I let the gold plated razors stay there longer it might damage the plating and the same goes for the plastic/bakelite. I also tried scrubbing them with a brush, but since the razors can't be disassembled, some areas are hard to reach and very hard to clean. I've also broke the handle of my G1 Schick injector when placing it in methanol and then in hot water.

1. Put it in a small bowl or Tupperware
2. Soak liberally with scrubbing bubbles for 15 minutes
3. Scrub with a toothbrush
4. Rinse with hot water
5. Buff with a clean microfiber

I keep buying razors that lol more and more unrestorable, yet the process above always results in a minty looking vintage shaver...YMMV.

1. Put it in a small bowl or Tupperware
2. Soak liberally with scrubbing bubbles for 15 minutes
3. Scrub with a toothbrush
4. Rinse with hot water
5. Buff with a clean microfiber

I keep buying razors that lol more and more unrestorable, yet the process above always results in a minty looking vintage shaver...YMMV.

I don't think i'm going to buy any vintage gold plated or plastic one piece razor ever again unless it's very clearn or in mint condition. I use almost boiling water and ''strong'' chemicals to clean the rest of my razors without worrying of anything and so far nothing has happend to them, but gold plated and plastic razors feel kinda fragile and the usual ''soft'' cleaning methods are not working very well. I guess I will keep trying untill they get ''perfectly'' clean.

I put all my razors in my ultrasonic cleaner and never had any problems. I’ve heard people saying that they can strip plating and paint but have not witnessed that. Perhaps professional ultrasonic cleaners that are meant to strip diesel fuel injectors and such, but I don’t think the $30 models on Amazon that are meant for jewelry and eyeglasses are powerful enough. I toss my razors in the cleaner every time I use them.
Restoration wise. I’ve been pretty much able to always bring razors back to life with dishwashing liquid and a soft toothbrush. Bakelite (not plastic) never seems to be a problem and cleans up nice. If it’s in really bad shape rubbing it with Brasso can help. I’ll also rub it with Liquid Gold furniture polish to restore the shine.

I just reinstalled the back wheel on my bicycle, and inevitably got dirty, grimy chain lube on my hands. No, I do not use 3 in 1 oil, like my know-it-all neighbor. I use dry lube, which is paraffin based.

I tried washing it off with dish detergent -- no luck at all.

I tried Dial bath soap -- a tiny bit came off.

Then I tried Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap - voila! Almost all came off with two applications. I could eat again!

I had already found that Dr. Bronner's worked quickly and thoroughly at getting the leftover scum from lanolin shaving cream off a razor, and I've often used it on vintage razors. As long as there are no ingredients in it that you think might harm your razor, I suggest you give it a try and compare how effectively it works to other options.

I have a few US Aristocrats, which I was unable to clean completlely due to fear of damaging the gold plating and also a type M adjustable Schick injector. I have a small ultrasonic cleaner, but I think if I let the gold plated razors stay there longer it might damage the plating and the same goes for the plastic/bakelite. I also tried scrubbing them with a brush, but since the razors can't be disassembled, some areas are hard to reach and very hard to clean. I've also broke the handle of my G1 Schick injector when placing it in methanol and then in hot water.
For any gold plated or delicate razor cleaning I only use Dawn dish soap, warm water and an ultra soft toothbrush. I let the razor soak in the warm water for about an hour and then gently scrub with the lightest pressure required. Rinse and repeat if necessary. I find the gold plating on vintage razors to be very thin, so go easy with the toothbrush.

Most of the old Aristocrats were sprayed with lacquer to preserve the finish. Over the decades this lacquer hardens, darkens and peels off in places, leaving the razor looking ugly. I've tried many different cleaning methods, and the only one that really works is Easy-Off oven cleaner. I read about it on a shaving forum (can't recall which one) and was skeptical, so I tried it first on an inexpensive Aristocrat that had lots of problems. Came out beautiful. I then tried it on a birth year Aristocrat that was in great shape except for the lacquer: absolutely stunning result.

Wear rubber gloves, and do this in a well-ventilated area. Put the razor in a plastic container with a lid, spray it liberally with Easy-Off, and close the container. Take it out after a couple of hours and rinse it off. If any lacquer remains, spray it again and use a soft tooth brush to clean it. Totally miraculous.

FWIW, acetone, mineral spirits, etc. have no effect on lacquer this old. It can be removed from polished surfaces (silo doors, for example) with metal polish, but there is a huge risk (almost a certainty) that you'll rub off some gold plate as well: it's very thin.

I put all my razors in my ultrasonic cleaner and never had any problems. I’ve heard people saying that they can strip plating and paint but have not witnessed that. Perhaps professional ultrasonic cleaners that are meant to strip diesel fuel injectors and such, but I don’t think the $30 models on Amazon that are meant for jewelry and eyeglasses are powerful enough. I toss my razors in the cleaner every time I use them.
Restoration wise. I’ve been pretty much able to always bring razors back to life with dishwashing liquid and a soft toothbrush. Bakelite (not plastic) never seems to be a problem and cleans up nice. If it’s in really bad shape rubbing it with Brasso can help. I’ll also rub it with Liquid Gold furniture polish to restore the shine.
Only ill effect I found with an ultrasonic cleaner is if you are doing a Gillette Adjustable, sometimes the painted numbers will come off. Not a problem though as I have my trusty Testors Black paint and a quick touch up with a small paint brush and a paper towel and all looks like new.

Top Bottom