What's new

Personna Platinum

Loaded one into my Muhle R89 the other day. Only about 2 days growth (stiff whiskers). Lovely smooth shave actually. Not the sharpest of blades compared to the likes of Nacet, Perma-Sharp and Feather but did a decent job with a bbs finish on my cheeks and most of my neck. A bit of irritation but nothing bad. Not sure I'd buy more but I'll deffo use them up. Worth a try, might be good in a single edge situation like a shavette.

And I thought all Personna platinums were Israeli made reds?

The Personna Platinum Chromes are no longer made in Israel as Edgewell closed the factory and moved production to Germany. All Except old stock, all Platinums should now be the same, just made in Germany. The consensus also seems to be that the Israeli and German made blades are indistinguishable.

Here's some info in a earlier thread where this is discussed:

I would agree with this. The German platinums are indistinguishable from the Israelis and at $20/200 as opposed to $25+/100 for the original reds, it is a no brainer IMO.

I would agree with this. The German platinums are indistinguishable from the Israelis and at $20/200 as opposed to $25+/100 for the original reds, it is a no brainer IMO.
Where are these available for that price and what does the box look like? I believe I'm just seeing the crystals at about that price. I've had Personna platinums in the past. Looking at Amazon is confusing.

Where are these available for that price and what does the box look like? I believe I'm just seeing the crystals at about that price. I've had Personna platinums in the past. Looking at Amazon is confusing.

Shaving.ie has good pictures of the the German Personna Platinums (and a good price), as does Connaught.

I did indeed get those on that river site in late March of this year. Alas, I see this item as currently unavailable at this time. I must have lucked out with the timing. Hopefully the seller will get more in stock at the same price point soon.
The box on the left is what the new packaging looks like. They threw in some Western Wall blades as part of the purchase but I haven't bothered to try them yet.
41uNX58HCrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I tried a couple of the German made store-brand Personna blades. They aren't marked Platinum so there's a very good chance they aren't the same blade but they were not good. I still have most of the 10-pack in the back of the cabinet and haven't had any desire to try them again. Could be I got a bad pack but I was disappointed since most Personna blades work pretty well for me.

I only tried the Israeli made Platinums. As you say these aren't the sharpest blades, but they are very smooth. I think I have 200 left of them.

Top Bottom