What's new

Opinion, please, on profile of this blade

Seeking opinion of this knowledgeable group, on the profile of this straight razor blade.
Half hollow? 3/4? Full?
The blue tape is just resting on the apex of the front edge, to give better idea of the where the edge begins.
This is a 5/8" blade.
Thanks for any advice!!

proxy.php

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Although the title says "profile" I think it is meant to say "grind".

In my opinion, I would consider the grind pictured to be a half hollow.

Actually, there is no real agreement that I can find. Below are two "charts" or illustrations I have found online and they do not seem to agree. I still think your razor is full hollow. The chart on the bottom shows a very "severe" full hollow and seems to mirror your razor.
grind.jpg

popular-straight-razor-grinds.jpg

Actually, there is no real agreement that I can find. Below are two "charts" or illustrations I have found online and they do not seem to agree. I still think your razor is full hollow. The chart on the bottom shows a very "severe" full hollow and seems to mirror your razor.
View attachment 1258963
View attachment 1258965
Nice chart. I know nothing about straight razors. Can someone explain the pros and cons of the different grinds? Which seems the most popular here at B&B?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Nice chart. I know nothing about straight razors. Can someone explain the pros and cons of the different grinds? Which seems the most popular here at B&B?
It is very much a personal preference thing. Many find that less hollow blades are preferred for tougher/courser beards. The other extreme is that some prefer a very hollow blade believing that the blade deforms slightly to help match the contours of their face.

Top Bottom