What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I have nursed the wounds from the April GRUME and am ready for the May GRUME. Maybe too ready. I am having doubts about my moral standing.

Imagine a hypothetical person who joins the GRUME every other month. He purchases nothing whatsoever that is shave related during the GRUME months. During the off months, he arranges to have packages delivered throughout the GRUME month that will soothe his cravings. What would you say about such a person. Is he truly participating in the GRUME?

That person is me, after the purchasing orgy that commenced after I fell off the April wagon. Packages will be arriving during May. Probably throughout May, because I think some of them are of foreign origin.

I would like to rationalize and say that the point is just about initiating purchases during an entire month, and achieving that is worth something. I would also point out that either I do May or I don't, and doing it is better -- but I do feel a bit unclean about the whole thing. I welcome the thoughts of the bretheren of restraint.

Sir, to me, the way i see things, GRUME is more than anything, a training ground for GRUYERE. It is the first step towards GRUYERE. If you can make it through many consecutive GRUMEs, most probably you have found the recipe to pass a GRUYERE too. GRUYERE is what can really thin down your supplies. If you have more time to waste and without newspaper today, this is my take on things:

Of course, i am just a newcomer, so what do i know! But i think there is no universal reply. One must find what works best for him.

The GRUME is about using and enjoying what you already have. A successful GRUME should help you answer the question: "How much is enough?" You've found a clever way to avoid this question.

As participants in a consumer-driven economy, we have been trained all our lives to avoid this question. What we have is never enough. There is always something we need; always something we lack; some way in which we are not good enough as we are. Eventually we discover this way of thinking does not really serve us. It serves those who sell things to us.

Remember, you can replenish if you run out of something. There is no shortage.

How much is enough is a tricky question. Because, Proraso should be enough for everyone. Master barbers use it to earn their living, so why isn't it enough for most of members? Why does this forum exist in the first place? To promote minimalism and host minimalists? Vendors pay to have a vendor label under their name! Why would they do that! :laugh: Why do monks go live in monasteries instead of going to night clubs?! Is this forum a shaving monastery? I suspect not! :lol:

Most probably, when i will have gone through all Stirling soaps, which i will then baptize "enough", i will also become minimalist! :lol: Because Stirling soaps, at their european price, are the upper limit of what i consider "acceptable price" (as in price per gram). It has nothing to do with what is "enough". Proraso is enough for everyone. It's about variety and how much you are willing to spend to find it.

Speaking of shortage. It has been years that all vendors that i use have stopped stocking any of the Derby or Arko creams. Fortunately, i still have some specimens. Of course, Amazon has Derby for €12 (shipped from UK). For a cream that i had bought for less than €2. But at that price, why not buy TOBS... Or good luck in finding the original Valobra soap now.

@GaryTha is the real deal, gentlemen! He is really going forward with "what is enough". Some other forum members too. The rest of us, one more "sinner" than the other.

Just my different view on the matter.

Made it through 4 since last fail (assuming I get through Friday!)...... going for 5

1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) Burundian Hawk
8) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
9) henrickd - GRUYERE
10) Heavy_Metal_Hound
11) Roedeer
12) Chef455
13) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
14) Owen Bawn
15) Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
16) Schnitzel52
17) ‘Bout Time

I’m in. I took April off and bought a XXX Fresco soap—got the bare minimum and am now ready for several months of restraint again!

1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) Burundian Hawk
8) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
9) henrickd - GRUYERE
10) Heavy_Metal_Hound
11) Roedeer
12) Chef455
13) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
14) Owen Bawn
16) Schnitzel52
17) ‘Bout Time
18) AZBronco

Hello. My name is Cahoots and I have a shaving problem....

1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) Burundian Hawk
8) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
9) henrickd - GRUYERE
10) Heavy_Metal_Hound
11) Roedeer
12) Chef455
13) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
14) Owen Bawn
16) Schnitzel52
17) ‘Bout Time
18) AZBronco
19) Cahoots
20)

I'm in. May is my birthday month, so I'm gonna need this more than ever. I really don't need anything, but I'm fearing the temptation to buy a birthday gift to myself will be strong.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) Burundian Hawk
8) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
9) henrickd - GRUYERE
10) Heavy_Metal_Hound
11) Roedeer
12) Chef455
13) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
14) Owen Bawn
16) Schnitzel52
17) ‘Bout Time
18) AZBronco
19) Cahoots
20) SeinfeldNoir
21)

Welcome to the GRUME your resolve is already stronger than mine. I'm not sure that I'll even have the resolve to enter a GRUME during my birthday month.

True words, sir! It takes courage to attempt GRUME in the month of your birthday. Which is why i have stocked up on new soaps. So next year, when it is my birthday, i won't feel any urge, since i will be shaving with new soap bought 1 year ago! :punk:

I have nursed the wounds from the April GRUME and am ready for the May GRUME. Maybe too ready. I am having doubts about my moral standing.

Imagine a hypothetical person who joins the GRUME every other month. He purchases nothing whatsoever that is shave related during the GRUME months. During the off months, he arranges to have packages delivered throughout the GRUME month that will soothe his cravings. What would you say about such a person. Is he truly participating in the GRUME?

That person is me, after the purchasing orgy that commenced after I fell off the April wagon. Packages will be arriving during May. Probably throughout May, because I think some of them are of foreign origin.

I would like to rationalize and say that the point is just about initiating purchases during an entire month, and achieving that is worth something. I would also point out that either I do May or I don't, and doing it is better -- but I do feel a bit unclean about the whole thing. I welcome the thoughts of the bretheren of restraint.
Thank you for posing the question, as it's worth discussion and reflection. Others have made good points. Mine is this:
While complete mastery of one's purchase behavior is the goal, some restraint is better than no restraint.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) Burundian Hawk
8) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
9) henrickd - GRUYERE
10) Heavy_Metal_Hound
11) Roedeer
12) Chef455
13) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
14) Owen Bawn
16) Schnitzel52
17) ‘Bout Time
18) AZBronco
19) Cahoots
20) SeinfeldNoir
21) tjsgarden
I have only been at this for three months!
I am blessed to have so much shaving paraphernalia in such a short period of time. I resolve it will suffice for the month of May!
It will actually be a good thing to focus my thoughts elsewhere such as technique and gratitude to enjoy this wonderful new hobby.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) Burundian Hawk
8) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
9) henrickd - GRUYERE
10) Heavy_Metal_Hound
11) Roedeer
12) Chef455
13) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
14) Owen Bawn
16) Schnitzel52
17) ‘Bout Time
18) AZBronco
19) Cahoots
20) SeinfeldNoir
21) tjsgarden
22) pdieten - GRUYERE

We did it before and we can do it again

How much is enough is a tricky question. Because, Proraso should be enough for everyone. Master barbers use it to earn their living, so why isn't it enough for most of members? Why does this forum exist in the first place? To promote minimalism and host minimalists? Vendors pay to have a vendor label under their name! Why would they do that! :laugh: Why do monks go live in monasteries instead of going to night clubs?! Is this forum a shaving monastery? I suspect not! :lol:

Most probably, when i will have gone through all Stirling soaps, which i will then baptize "enough", i will also become minimalist! :lol: Because Stirling soaps, at their european price, are the upper limit of what i consider "acceptable price" (as in price per gram). It has nothing to do with what is "enough". Proraso is enough for everyone. It's about variety and how much you are willing to spend to find it.

Speaking of shortage. It has been years that all vendors that i use have stopped stocking any of the Derby or Arko creams. Fortunately, i still have some specimens. Of course, Amazon has Derby for €12 (shipped from UK). For a cream that i had bought for less than €2. But at that price, why not buy TOBS... Or good luck in finding the original Valobra soap now.

@GaryTha is the real deal, gentlemen! He is really going forward with "what is enough". Some other forum members too. The rest of us, one more "sinner" than the other.

Just my different view on the matter.

1619549196304.png

@FoolishMortal described for you what the goal of the GRUME is. It's not minimalism. The goal is to use and enjoy what you already have.

We're not trying to be shaving monks. We're not ascetics, punishing ourselves or wearing hair shirts. The answer to the question: "How much is enough?" is an individual one.

Avoid compulsive buying for a period of time. Simple, when you don't try to make it complicated.

Updated and corrected. Not a problem, gentlemen!

1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
8) henrickd - GRUYERE
9) Heavy_Metal_Hound
10) Roedeer
11) Chef455
12) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
13) Owen Bawn
14) Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
15) Schnitzel52
16) ‘Bout Time
17) AZBronco
18) Cahoots
19) SeinfeldNoir
20) tjsgarden
21) pdieten - GRUYERE

Updated and corrected. Not a problem, gentlemen!

1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
8) henrickd - GRUYERE
9) Heavy_Metal_Hound
10) Roedeer
11) Chef455
12) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
13) Owen Bawn
14) Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
15) Schnitzel52
16) ‘Bout Time
17) AZBronco
18) Cahoots
19) SeinfeldNoir
20) tjsgarden
21) pdieten - GRUYERE

As I said in the other thread:

Not necessary. I just invite you to examine your thought process that leads you to believe that in order to be able to stop buying, you have to buy more.

As I said in the other thread:

Sir, i have read your post and i thank you. But there is no need to upset any other of you gentlemen or the spirit of what you are doing. My reasoning might be wrong, but on the other hand, i wasn't the only one failing the GRUME and i was in my 1st one. And i want to try my method too.

Have a nice GRUME, sir, do not worry. I will probably do, a 6 month Sabbatical of my own! :laugh: And then jump to GRUYERE next year! It sounds like a plan, doesn't it? After all, this was what i wanted to do with the GRUMEs. Well, i will call it officially a 6 month Sabbatical! And everyone is happy! :laugh:

Sir, i have read your post and i thank you. But there is no need to upset any other of you gentlemen or the spirit of what you are doing. My reasoning might be wrong, but on the other hand, i wasn't the only one failing the GRUME and i was in my 1st one. And i want to try my method too.

Have a nice GRUME, sir, do not worry. I will probably do, a 6 month Sabbatical of my own! :laugh: And then jump to GRUYERE next year! It sounds like a plan, doesn't it? After all, this was what i wanted to do with the GRUMEs. Well, i will call it officially a 6 month Sabbatical! And everyone is happy! :laugh:
In that case, I encourage you to start a "Half-Year Sabbatical" thread for July through December. It's amazing what the community support can do for your restraint efforts. :a17:

In that case, I encourage you to start a "Half-Year Sabbatical" thread for July through December. It's amazing what the community support can do for your restraint efforts. :a17:

Maybe i will or i will ask for someone more experienced than me to organize it. Because i have no idea of the rules. I could copy the ones from Shave Trek i suppose... Or maybe i will just do on my own. I could also open a "Sabbatical Journal"...Or simply not. According to how my mood goes.

Thank you for the suggestion though. I am surprised that there is no other Sabbatical than the yearly, to be honest... Well, there is the 10 year Marathon one, thought by the legend that is @GaryTha, but this is for legends. :laugh:

Top Bottom