What's new

No Dice! — On Contentment And Tracking Shaves

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I just showed some of the posts and read others to the lovely War Department.

Her response: "Y'all are nuts."

The abacus and especially @ackvil 's wife's question "why?" in particular made her laugh.

I apologize for not being able to make her be nice like me gents!

The abacus and especially @ackvil 's wife's question "why?" in particular made her laugh.

She should get together with my wife. She thinks we are all nuts - but rather see me spending time on such subject than sitting in a strip bar!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
She should get together with my wife. She thinks we are all nuts - but rather see me spending time on such subject than sitting in a strip bar!
Exactly my friend. We laugh a LOT in this house. It's saved my life several times since we were wed. I figure if she's laughing at me it might throw off her aim just long enough to run away!

It had been a while since I’d used my more aggressive razor (a Col. Conk Major); it was a gift which I have learned to use ever so gently and infrequently. I also have a Parker semi-slant which I haven’t used much (but I really like). My daily driver is a Merkur 38C. I most always get a good shave with it and, more often than not, a DFS . . . even the occasional BBS.

But something nagged at me, a restless whisper. I’ve enjoyed the semi-slant, but it is just a hair more aggressive (pun partially intended) than the 38C, but not wickedly so. The Major, on the other hand . . . well, I want to shave with it, not decorticate. Goodness knows I have enough blade variety and stock on hand, so the little boy in me affixed his best look of determination and grit, pulled on his big boy pants, and decided to try some different blades with the Major.

Now I know there will be a tremendous shout declaring “That’s kind of the whole point!” — and the masses would be 100% correct. But when you reach a state of contentment with your shaves it can be all too easy to accept that as the norm and forego the sporadic thrill of change. But life without occasional thrills is, well, boring, predictable. As soothing as that may sound it doesn’t put paint on the canvas, and a pencil sketch isn’t near as eye-pleasing as a palette of colors.

When I first started this journey (thanks to my son, but I won’t detail that here) I was after good shaves and saving some money. We all know the latter is an illusion, a mental prank we play upon ourselves and one another. But the good shaves—yeah, those were well above what I had been getting with a cartridge. Took a little while—as it does for all of us—to get technique down. After some time trying different blades I reached equilibrium in my daily ritual . . . I had arrived at my own tiny slice of shave nirvana. And for quite a while things have been good, you know, until they started to feel less like a mild drinking buzz and more like an unexcited sober.

So now I was resolute in my decision to try different blades in my aggressive razor and figured I’d do the same in my Parker as well. But now I’d have three razors to track blade brand and usage for (waaaah! what a hardship 😭)— and I don’t have any dice (WWAAHHHHH! More hardship! 😭). Sure, I could go buy some, but I hew toward the tightwad side; I’m not against using them, but there had to be another way without spending money just to track usage.

A quick note on my own hypocrisy: I won’t float a couple bucks for some dice but I’ll spend upwards of $15 for another one or two soaps I definitely don’t need, or $7.99 for 100 Rapira SS I don’t need either. Yeah, I have some issues.

Back to my cheapskate conundrum: how to track usage on two razors/blades I use infrequently. I could make my own dice from wood, but I don’t have the patience to drill 21 tiny indentations for one die, much less 42 for two dice. I could use a sticky note and a pen, old school but not exactly innovative or cool. Then it hit me . . . what about the blade wrapper? I could use the blade wrapper and make a hash mark every time I use it—but that would require leaving a pen in the ‘den’. A pen in the den is as out of place as a boiled egg on a dessert tray. Sure, you could eat it, but why?

I had half of the equation—I could now tell which blade was in the razor, but needed to keep track of how many uses. Hmmmm. Then inspiration struck again . . . I could use the folds of the wrapper as an indicator or each use.
  • Fold all the flaps back so all that’s exposed is the white/blank interior.
  • Tear one of the long flaps in half for uses 1 and 2
  • Fold back the piece to its original position to indicate usage
  • Repeat for 2nd,
  • 3rd, fold back an end flap
  • And so on.
View attachment 1254840
(yes, I know it's front facing--no one wants to see the blank side of a blade wrapper, right?)

Of course this only works if you use a blade up to 6 times. I’m usually a 5-and-done guy. But now I can tell which blade and how many uses . . . and my inner skinflint is all smiles! :clap:

I know, I know, seems like a lot of work when rotating a die is so much simpler. But where’s the fun in that?!

And because we like our pics, here's how it looks in my wee razor drawer--yeah, I only have three razors, but working on a (gasp!) fourth.

View attachment 1254842
I have only read a few of your post but I am very impressed with your writing style and your ability to communicate so well and also your ability to inject a little humor. Are you a professional writer? If not you may have missed your calling. You might want to consider writing and submitting articles to professional journals on subjects that interest you.

I have only read a few of your post but I am very impressed with your writing style and your ability to communicate so well and also your ability to inject a little humor. Are you a professional writer? If not you may have missed your calling. You might want to consider writing and submitting articles to professional journals on subjects that interest you.
My Ego salutes you, sir! I have been asked a number of times (not just here) if I am a writer, and honestly I am never certain of what to answer. When I think of 'writers' I think of those who are really good storytellers or great with narrative style--I think of Hemingway or Steinbeck or countless others. I have a modicum of a gift with words, but I am rarely the smartest guy in the room. I try to put the proper words in the proper order, and I do try to make the read entertaining. I know it isn't to everyones liking; some folks want the meat and potatoes and don't care much for the salad, veggies, and dessert. That's okay.

I am genuinely grateful for your kind words. They truly have meaning for me. To be able to affect someone positively is a matter of gravitas I do not take for granted.

As for submitting articles, the first thing that pops to mind is some of the, umm, 'journalism' I've seen when browsing Yahoo News--I'd like to state for the record I emphatically do not rely on YN as my basis for understanding current events--it is at once an aggregator and an irritator. I don't think there is much in the way of editing done on most of the articles submitted. I was going somewhere with this but it slips my mind now . . . good news for the rest of you :lemo:

At any rate, thank you again. It always pleases me to know that my words and ramblings are enjoyed by some.

South Dakota Guy, now I remember what I was going to say.

Professional? Nah. But I do have a deep respect for the power of words. I have had a collection of short stories published (back in 2009, you know, back when paper was a thing), self-published a novella in 2012, and again a smaller booklet (I can't bring myself to call it a book if it's only 54-pages long) about my Denise . . . A Sense of my Bella Dea, and am currently trying to set the world record for slowest creation of a story with my work-in-progress, Beacon. I'd be happy to send you PDFs of any or all of the first three if you like, just message me if so.

My wife used more colourful language when I showed her this thread. 🤪

I also use a Sharpie to make a dot on the blade after every use. I only use a blade 2-3x, so it works for me.

What about a notecard on the back of the medicine cabinet door and a pencil? You all are creative, but it really does not have to be that complicated. Reminds me of so many other things in modern life.

And this is why I view B&B forums on a daily basis. Never heard of shave buddy until this thread, now I've ditched the silly dice in my medicine cabinet and can juggle blade usage among my 3 razors each of which uses a different blade (Spoiler, Israeli Red and Silver Star).
Thanks for the very useful tips guys, as always it is greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom