What's new

Is there much difference between the Game Changer .84 OC and Jaws plate?

Hmmm, and it's listed as the the lowest of the "Mild-Medium" razors. The IB razors definitely skew aggressive.

I was thinking about picking up a GC, but the as the R6S #4 is the most I can handle my daily shave, I think I'll hold off for now.

Neither the GC68SB or the GC84SB are what I would call aggressive razors. The 68 is pretty mild, and the 84, while definitely more efficient than the 6S 4 plate, is no more aggressive than it. I found the GC68 to be a great razor, but unnecessary given the incredible combination of smoothness and efficiency (not to mention, value) offered by the GC84.

I have the GC .84 & .68 SB heads & the .68 OC. I also own a Rockwell 6C. I can shave every day with the GC SB heads with no issues. The .84 SB head is more efficient & just as smooth as the .68 SB head. But I can shave every day with the .68 SB head with my eyes close. I love my Rockwell 6C. But I can't use any plate above 4 with the 4th plate being my favorite for every day use. I can shave every day with the .84 SB plate but I can't do that with the Rockwell with any plate above 4.

I strongly disagree with this. I wouldn’t even call the .84 SB more aggressive than the 6S R4. More efficient, yes.....but just as smooth.
So you would say the .68SB is less aggressive than the R4? So similar to what... the R2/R3? We can absolutely agree to disagree on that.

I find the 6S R5 to be mild even compared to the .68 Jaws. I used the R6 daily for months. I couldn’t use the .84 Jaws daily.

So you would say the .68SB is less aggressive than the R4? So similar to what... the R2/R3? We can absolutely agree to disagree on that.

I find the 6S R5 to be mild even compared to the .68 Jaws. I used the R6 daily for months. I couldn’t use the .84 Jaws daily.
I’ve never used an open comb Game Changer, so none of my comments related to anything but the GC SB razors. Yes, I’d put the GC68 aggression level closer to Rockwell 2 or 3 plate, but its efficiency on par with a 4 plate. I find the GC84 to be more efficient than the Rockwell 4 plate, but just as comfortable.

I must admit I contemplated which Game changer to as my first Game Changer, do I get either the Jaws .84 or the OC .84.
As I have been using the R41 razor for the last 3 months daily, I decided to go for the so called more aggressive Jaws.
It also helped that someone locally was selling a lightly used .84 Jaws, with a Barber Pole handle for a good price.
So I opted for the Jaws and was pleasantly surprised with my first shave today.

The Jaws looked like it would be more aggressive than the R41, as it had more blade exposed than the R41.
Also the big Jaws teeth looked menacing to say the least.
So I changed my Nacet blade from the R41, and put it in the Jaws for its 5th shave.
The Jaws was so much smoother than the R41, and there was nowhere near the tuggy cutting feeling I get in the R41.

I also think the Jaws may have been a touch closer than the R41. As I normally feel a bit of stubble on my chin after 8-9 hours with the R41, and the Jaws shave still seems just about stubble free after 8-9 hours. I had no irritation from the Jaws as the ATG shaving on my neck was so much smoother than the R41 with no tugging. Also I found the large teeth were actually comfortable while shaving, as I didn't really notice or feel them.

All in all I think the Jaws .84 is a real winner, especially for people looking for a very efficient and smooth open comb razor. I can't wait for tomorrows shave with it, if I have anything to shave off.

After getting the 84 Jaws and being very happy with it i decided to try the 84 OC base plate.
The OC is smoother with less blade feel. It is also not as aggressive or as close as the Jaws.
I think the OC is a nice daily razor and especially if you have a touch of irritation. I also find the OC doesn't feel like it can cut you, unless your are really stupid.
I still like the Jaws but my skin has to have no cuts, spots or irritation, or I will get some weapers. When all conditions are good and I take my time the Jaws will produce a very fine close BBS shave.

Top Bottom