What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I know, it is hard... I wait for delivery of 2 packages (the one with Yaqis should arrive tomorrow) and yet, i still have an itch for something more... Even though i have enough things now to join GaryTha in the 10 year sabattical... And i keep thinking...Maybe i should get one more horse brush with a nice handle that i like? Maybe grab some more soaps? Logic says "no", because i have very long brush rotation already and who knows when i will use the soaps. But still, this urge... It is fault of the forum. It is like trying to become a monk inside the Folies Bergère! :out: I can't wait for May to come, to get into the next GRUME. This might stop me this time!

I know what you mean, our grandfathers generation were ok with just 1 razor, 1 brush & 1 soap. Even if they could afford to stockpile. Yet we have to have to have a collection. Anyway we will just have to try to remember what pushed us over the edge during the next GRUME. For me it was browsing shaving supply websites combined with my March GRUME attitude of "Not Buy shaving stuff for a month, this will be easy" 🤣😢

I know what you mean, our grandfathers generation were ok with just 1 razor, 1 brush & 1 soap. Even if they could afford to stockpile. Yet we have to have to have a collection. Anyway we will just have to try to remember what pushed us over the edge during the next GRUME. For me it was browsing shaving supply websites combined with my March GRUME attitude of "Not Buy shaving stuff for a month, this will be easy" 🤣😢

My grandfather might even not have a razor at all. Better not think of that... I thought it would be easy too...But... I must delete emails from shops on sight and avoid threads that show pictures of new stuff. Mainly concentrate in the GRUME thread. Like the alcoholic therapy groups. If go outside of pubs and look inside, it is probable that you will eventually get in for a drink or two...

Still in. SOTD - 20 APR 2021

SOTD 04202021.jpg

Great shave today. First use on the HSSC soap. It lathered beautifully and felt like silk on the face. Stirling razor cut well as usual and I was left with a comfortable BBS result.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Still in...
British Aluminum Tech
Feather (5)
Col. Conks Lime
Razorock BC
Lucky Tiger

I only use this razor once a week or so. Although I tell myself that some of my other razors are superior I know I am not being truthful. I paid $5 for this razor and I can't get a better shave with anything else in my den.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Still in
IMG_20210420_213507.jpg

Tonight's shave used the Yaqi closed comb/Personna platinum(11) combo. Soap was TFS Rasozero Barbaccio lathered with the Yaqi evil zebra as it was a little chilly today and quite frankly, after using Wilkinson Sword last night I feel I deserve a soap that will at least give me a decent lather.
It was a good shave tonight, no irritation from the razor and the soap was slick and protective and it put the WS to shame

Yesssssssss

Still in.

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale Slant “FOCS”
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (5)
Brush: Chisel and Hound “Buffalo Valley” with 26mm V9 Fanchurian
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Soap and Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre

Result: 10 / 10. A fantastic two pass shave that left my face BBS. No bloodshed or irritation, the FOCS / Kai duo is a great pairing. LGC is in my top 3 scents and I always love using my Chisel and Hound brush.

8AF940E8-AE7E-49C2-9D94-8BE1204F558F.jpeg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
You haven't been talking to @Owen Bawn have you?
You obviously don't know me or my modus operandi. I would never advise a man in restraint to buy either of those brushes- they are too common and too readily available. The world is filled with Trafalgar synthetics right now- why would any man need one immediately? I would have told the punter to hang on and that if he really wanted those 2 brushes they would still be available come May Day. Furthermore, I would never advise any man to buy a Simpsons Classic 1 synthetic, and have posted that sentiment more than once on this board. Let's just say it isn't Simpson's best product, and leave it at that.

Finally, while I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are joking, I derive no pleasure from a man failing to complete a restraint. I understand the difficulty many of us have in trying to control disordered habits of compulsive purchasing, and would never consciously encourage someone to fail.

Still in.

Not shaving related but I put in a new water heater. Once the water was up to temp I took a shower. For the inaugural shower I used PAA Diver Down body soap, a PAA Diver Down shampoo puck and PAA Diver Down deodorant to finish it off.

I think PAA puts menthol in everything. Right now the only thing not burning on me is my scalp. Even my bloody wedding tackle is on fire. I’m about ready to take another shower to wash it off. There is such a thing as too much menthol.

I smell lovely though.

Latest casualty report follows.

@Burundian Hawk was struck down by Apollo.

View attachment 1254759

View attachment 1254760

Since @Burundian Hawk likes Star Trek, but arrived too late for the GRUYERE, I thought he might appreciate being an honorary casualty.

Thank you, sir! Thank you very much! I am honored as much as i am...struck! :laugh: What a lovely way to go! I really hope the next GRUYERE will have as much as nice of a theme as this one! Burundians in space!

P.S.: My 3 Yaqis arrived! I posted them in the "what did you unpack today" thread! Don't look! They are so pretty! :lol:

Still in.

Not shaving related but I put in a new water heater. Once the water was up to temp I took a shower. For the inaugural shower I used PAA Diver Down body soap, a PAA Diver Down shampoo puck and PAA Diver Down deodorant to finish it off.

I think PAA puts menthol in everything. Right now the only thing not burning on me is my scalp. Even my bloody wedding tackle is on fire. I’m about ready to take another shower to wash it off. There is such a thing as too much menthol.

I smell lovely though.
PAA Diver Down doesn't have any menthol in it but it does have spikenard which gives that cooling. A friend who has Diver Down told me it is pretty chilling.

PAA Diver Down doesn't have any menthol in it but it does have spikenard which gives that cooling. A friend who has Diver Down told me it is pretty chilling.

That would make sense why the body soaps/deodorant were so uncomfortable. I didn’t realize spikenard was Latin for, “to spike the nards.”

I don’t have issues with the shaving soap and AS on my head and face though. Maybe it just doesn’t agree with my more sensitive areas.

Top Bottom