What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale Slant “FOCS”
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (4)
Brush: Yaqi “Butterscotch” with 26mm Silk Smoke (Fan / Flat Top Hybrid)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Lime Zest
Aftershave: Stirling Coconut Lime Aftershave Splash

Result: A fantastic 3 pass BBS shave, with no weepers, irritation or other issues. Smell very tropical.

57BD8E5C-9F64-4477-8164-0283F11BA35F.jpeg

Still in
View attachment 1253952
Tonight's shave is a chance to use the soap I would most like to 3017, lathered with the Omega professional boar PIF'd to me by @Multum in parvo as it is a total monster when it comes to eating lather and the more of this soap I use in a single shave the better. For the shave I used the Parker 26C/Personna platinum combo, one of my favourite razors and my favourite blade.
OK the blade and razor performed really well, the soap on the other hand performed like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Batman and Robin, except at least you could laugh at Arnold. Every time I use it I wonder why, surely the water would be slicker on its own? Despite the abysmal soap, the razor and blade managed a DFS- with irritation which required an application of Nivea shave Balm. The sooner I 3017 this soap the better, although at current usage rates It will probably end up being passed down through several generations as a family heirloom.
If that is Wilkinson in a tub then just throw it out. Seriously the worst soap on the market that I’m aware of. The stick is only marginally better.

Still in.

I brought up my first DE razor with which I started wet shaving a decade ago.

I put the blade in and tried to understand why I could never get a decent shave with it?

I observed that:

# Neutral blade exposure
# Big blade gap
# The safety bar was not straight and dented at some places.

So I tinkered with straightening the SB, it is made of soft metal so it was easy.

I decided to ride the cap as much as possible, and Viola - First decent shave with the razor.

I got BBS with 3 pass (WTG, XTG, XTG), that too with a 5 or 6 shave mileage Wilkinson Sword blade.

I get a feeling that this razor will do very nicely with a sharp blade like Feather or similar blade.

Excellent news is that now I can try all the blades provided by the fellow members, and as a bonus I get to use my first razor.

This is all the least 35 years old razor.

Couldn't be happier as I can use another thing belonging to my father.

IMG_20210420_155738.jpg

And I'm out... I have succumbed to temptation and ordered two Synthetic Simpsons brushes (Classic C1 & Trafalgar T1).

I wish those who are still in good luck and I see you in the next GRUME
I hope that they work well for you. Was it a sale price that sent you over the edge? Either way, feel free to keep playing along at home and we'll see you in May.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @‘Bout Time
3) @B_R_A_D
4) @henrickd - GRUYERE
5) SharpieB - out (4/18: CSS soap)
6) @Doti B
7) @Stuart Ganis
8) @Chef455
9) Roedeer - out (4/12: Silver lather bowl)
10) @Cino
11) @Herrenberg
12) @CzechCzar
13) @Timeclo
14) @La Malice
15) @Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
16) @pdieten - GRUYERE
17) @hopper_64
18) Schnitzel52 - out (4/5: Zenith/IB brush)
19) Trollky - out (4/9: Merkur 34G)
20) Bravoure - out (4/9: Declaration Grooming soaps)
21) @Owen Bawn
22) @Abz88
23) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
24) @Tomo
25) @Kyle89
26) @wmadoty - GRUYERE - AFFCC
27) Heavy_Metal_Hound - out (4/20: Simpson brushes)
28) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
29) @Mike M
30) @sarir97
31) @nelsonic21
32) @bluesman 7
33) @4and20blackbirds
34) @FL shaver
35) Burundian Hawk - out (4/17: Brush and soaps)

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (28)
  • WSP Formula T Tobacco
  • Yaqi 24mm Synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
An early one-quick-pass to start my day. SWMBO is on a photo shoot, the 16-year-old is in school, and it's just me and the dogs...in a quiet house...with phone meetings. So many phone calls. So. many. calls.

Onward!

Throw out the soap, and fill the tub with Arko.

This is an excellent idea, sir! I still have a black "UFO" Wilkinson tub. And since it is BIG, it just came to me... Is it possible that its diameter is big enough to contain even a Mogno soap??? I guess i will know soon enough. If yes, then i just found a soap container for it! I also have a big chromium container with lid for soaps, but i think the Mogno soap won't be in contact with the bottom of the container. The UFO might actually be better!

And I'm out... I have succumbed to temptation and ordered two Synthetic Simpsons brushes (Classic C1 & Trafalgar T1).

I wish those who are still in good luck and I see you in the next GRUME

I know, it is hard... I wait for delivery of 2 packages (the one with Yaqis should arrive tomorrow) and yet, i still have an itch for something more... Even though i have enough things now to join GaryTha in the 10 year sabattical... And i keep thinking...Maybe i should get one more horse brush with a nice handle that i like? Maybe grab some more soaps? Logic says "no", because i have very long brush rotation already and who knows when i will use the soaps. But still, this urge... It is fault of the forum. It is like trying to become a monk inside the Folies Bergère! :out: I can't wait for May to come, to get into the next GRUME. This might stop me this time!

I hope that they work well for you. Was it a sale price that sent you over the edge? Either way, feel free to keep playing along at home and we'll see you in May.

No sale price. I just have been looking at getting a Simpsons brush for a while and seeing them in stock on shavenation pushed me over the edge. I guess that I've been in denial over the fact that I may be developing brush acquisition dissorder.

It's been said before and I'll say it again. Avoid shaving supply websites if you want to survive a Restraint!

Top Bottom