What's new

irritation?

Attachments

• 8D4094E7-2785-49BF-8A16-5862AE33311F.jpeg
    8D4094E7-2785-49BF-8A16-5862AE33311F.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 11
Most is mentioned.
Try adding a pre shave soap or cream.
Changing a soap (try no scent) can help if there is a perfume allergy component.

there is no shame in using an other razor (cart, Gillette guard) until your skin is healed.
i keep a oneblade core just for that injured reason in my den (but blade life sucks and no bbs, just quick and dirty).

Maybe someone knows the razor and can give details on that.

it takes patience and some bloody rags but you will get the feeling to do it right.

Play a long game: weeks rather than days, months rather than weeks, years....

My priority list:
  • Find a blade that works well for you.
  • Find the razor that works best with that blade.
  • Keep easing up on the pressure.
Rinse and repeat -- until you're happy with your shaves.

M

mtcn77

I get the hives when I don't shave, but it really pays off if I take breaks in between the shaves not to cause irritation. Make reservations, don't go for it everyday whenever you feel the itch.

M

mtcn77

Also;
  • I cannot use the sharpest blades,
  • I cannot use hot water,
  • I cannot use menthol or any other balsams or aftershaves.
  • I get alcohol allergy if I put on any sun exposed skin.
What I can do is use the mildest blade with no fancy coating, a good lather with proper hydration - it has to be dissolved in hot water not to have any skin irritants - and one more thing...
Before a shave I splash just 1 ml(1gram) of white vinegar on my face. It is an antiseptic and pulls the skin taut in order to give a closer shave(I sometimes shave the hairs with the pores and get razor rash) and the most important factor: before a shave it tells me whether the skin has had sufficient time to heal properly. It is milder than aftershaves, therefore it doesn't burn like alcohol does, it only burns bare skin. In contrast to an alum block, it erects the hairs instead of closing down the pores before a shave. It is a good facial indicator whether your face is ready.
One last thing, don't ever touch your face after a shave until it is dry. You might infect it unwittingly.

. . . Before a shave I splash just 1 ml(1gram) of white vinegar on my face. It is an antiseptic and pulls the skin taut in order to give a closer shave(I sometimes shave the hairs with the pores and get razor rash) and the most important factor: before a shave it tells me whether the skin has had sufficient time to heal properly. It is milder than aftershaves, therefore it doesn't burn like alcohol does, it only burns bare skin. In contrast to an alum block, it erects the hairs instead of closing down the pores before a shave. It is a good facial indicator whether your face is ready. . . .
I'll need to try this. I have some white vinegar in the kitchen for cleaning the coffeemaker.

I wonder if diluted apple cider vinegar -- heavily diluted; that stuff is strong -- would work too?

M

mtcn77

I'll need to try this. I have some white vinegar in the kitchen for cleaning the coffeemaker.

I wonder if diluted apple cider vinegar -- heavily diluted; that stuff is strong -- would work too?
%5 would work. It burns open skin though, be careful. Would I use any stronger? I haven't seen it used in medicine, so I'll pass on that.:facep::a16:👨‍⚕️🚑💉

%5 would work. It burns open skin though, be careful. Would I use any stronger? I haven't seen it used in medicine, so I'll pass on that.:facep::a16:👨‍⚕️🚑💉
The ACV stuff is 5% in the bottle, I think; I'd dilute it with a lotta water. I'd better try the white first and see if I have any skin left.

M

mtcn77

The ACV stuff is 5% in the bottle, I think; I'd dilute it with a lotta water. I'd better try the white first and see if I have any skin left.
Don't dilute it, just use 1mL(1cm3) after wetting your face. I pour that much into my hand a few drops at a time from the cap. It is 20 drops on average equal to ~1mL.

Don't dilute it, just use 1mL(1cm3) after wetting your face. I pour that much into my hand a few drops at a time from the cap. It is 20 drops on average equal to ~1mL.
I tried it yesterday morning. No burning -- a faint prickling sensation was all that resulted. Not sure my shave was any better, but this was a 24-hour beard, and 48-hour beards give me the best shave results. I'll try it again on Tuesday.

M

mtcn77

I tried it yesterday morning. No burning -- a faint prickling sensation was all that resulted. Not sure my shave was any better, but this was a 24-hour beard, and 48-hour beards give me the best shave results. I'll try it again on Tuesday.
You shave too often if you have any such sensation.

Merkur 37C also let me be shaving daily; however one hard swipe and just when I was thinking I had the closest shave, my hair follicles closed over the chin angle and I still don't have hair growing there after the ingrown hair cleared. It was painful as its skin tone is now darker.
It can ruin your face and lead to beard paucity if you so get ingrown hair be careful.

You shave too often if you have any such sensation.

Merkur 37C also let me be shaving daily; however one hard swipe and just when I was thinking I had the closest shave, my hair follicles closed over the chin angle and I still don't have hair growing there after the ingrown hair cleared. It was painful as its skin tone is now darker.
It can ruin your face and lead to beard paucity if you so get ingrown hair be careful.
No, just sort of a tingling sensation, very faint. I normally shave every other day. This was only about 28 hours after my last shave, though.

M

mtcn77

No, just sort of a tingling sensation, very faint. I normally shave every other day. This was only about 28 hours after my last shave, though.
I tried the alum block today for the first time. The pricklies reminded me of the preshave vinegar application very much. They bite exactly the same. I like them both, they are both antiseptic and alum actually calmed my skin, I was surprised about that.

Top Bottom