What's new

Slant...

I was cruising around and I saw an old razor that came with the Kriss Kross stripping machine. The instructions said it had a tilting head allowing the blade to slant 45deg “the correct way to shave” as stated by the directions. It got me thinking about something I wondered since I started shaving a few weeks ago.

Then I noticed these DE razors called “slants”.

Basically, why are we pulling the blades in a scraping action? Why are we having the blades meet the follicles perpendicular to each other? Why not slant the blade so it is introduced to the follicle gradually, more like a slicing action rather than a chop or scrape?

I tested.

Yeah, that works. I can shave faster and cleaner with less “hacking” repeats across the same strip. Have to be careful though and remember this action is more efficient and may not be optimal for areas like the Adam’s Apple that are full of terrain changes. I got some good razor burn down there doing it this way...first burning/major damage since I started.

It’s also tricky to remember to slant the blade and not the stroke. It’s real easy to forget and go from slicing to scraping again.

Also, the angle of slant affects many things, from efficiency to irritation to ease of skin cuts. It’s a tricky balancing act, but one I think worth mastering.

Is this a thing or am I kidding myself? Did I rediscover a lost technique or is this like a “no duh, kid” thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Gillette used to advise diagonal strokes. I have one slant, a Hoffritz, which I use occasionally but it is not a favourite.

forum.jpg

Gillette used to advise diagonal strokes. I have one slant, a Hoffritz, which I use occasionally but it is not a favourite.

View attachment 1253625

Yes! Same idea different application. They are slanting the path, I’m slanting the tool. Same thing in the end, I prefer my method as it allows me to follow established facets as opposed to a swipe across multiple areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Someone has the multi page version of this somewhere, but the far left version (razor tilted, but moving straight) matches both your description and the ad posted by @EclipseRedRing if you tilt the photo to make the path perpendicular. Here’s what I found:
1618836742120.jpeg

The angle might not be as acute as the one used by @Sniperx , but King and his shave-crazy comrades at Gillette did come close.

With today’s thinner razor blades, the added rigidity of a helical slant razor (that’s most slants these days) can make it all even better.

Definitely worth trying the ‘Gillette slide.’

Trying a slant razor is also interesting. Not for me, but many love them! :a21: :a21:

I was a slant skeptic until I tried them

However, not all slant razors are the same. I get close and comfortable shaves with the ATT S-1, Merkur 37c, and RR Stealth Prototype. The RR Wunderbar and ATT S-2 gave me close but not comfortable, smooth shaves. I found the Hoffritz Slant to be identical to the Merkur.

Someone has the multi page version of this somewhere, but the far left version (razor tilted, but moving straight) matches both your description and the ad posted by @EclipseRedRing if you tilt the photo to make the path perpendicular. Here’s what I found:
View attachment 1253699
The angle might not be as acute as the one used by @Sniperx , but King and his shave-crazy comrades at Gillette did come close.

With today’s thinner razor blades, the added rigidity of a helical slant razor (that’s most slants these days) can make it all even better.

Did the razor in the ad take the old curved tab thick blades or the modern gillette thin blades?

Top Bottom