What's new

Personna Lab Blue Now Made in Germany???

I know that the Personna Platinum Chromes / Red Personna / Israeli Personna that used to be made in Israel are now made in Germany.

However, I thought the Personna Lab Blues were still made in the USA by Accutec.

I was looking to buy more Lab Blues on Amazon, and saw people complaining they're now made in Germany and weren't nearly the same as the old Blues. I zoomed on the product picture, and the box indeed says "Made in Germany", and by Edgewell in CT instead of Accutec in VA.

Are these a totally different Personna, the new German Platinum Chromes in a 100 pack, a new German-made Lab Blue, or something else.

I love my Made in the USA Personna Labs, but it shouldn't take a detective to figure out razor blades!

Any help would be appreciated.

Personna Lab Germany.png

I know that the Personna Platinum Chromes / Red Personna / Israeli Personna that used to be made in Israel are now made in Germany.

However, I thought the Personna Lab Blues were still made in the USA by Accutec.

I was looking to buy more Lab Blues on Amazon, and saw people complaining they're now made in Germany and weren't nearly the same as the old Blues. I zoomed on the product picture, and the box indeed says "Made in Germany", and by Edgewell in CT instead of Accutec in VA.

Are these a totally different Personna, the new German Platinum Chromes in a 100 pack, a new German-made Lab Blue, or something else.

I love my Made in the USA Personna Labs, but it shouldn't take a detective to figure out razor blades!

Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 1253645
I love the US made ones. I seriously doubt the German ones are as good. Hope someone could shed some light on this.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Those are not Labs. I believe they are bulk packed with intention to be sold for barbers etc. I am not sure if they are the same as the platinum chrome.

However, sellers may or may not advertise them as Labs.

The Israeli plant which made the Personna Platinum Chrome blade is now closed. The facility was removed from the Edgewell web site sometime in 2020 although production ceased in 2019. Some products made in Israel are still available, but at elevated pricing due to scarcity. Along with the storied Israeli reds, the plant also made other blades including stainless blades known as Crystals. They were sometimes called Israeli Personnas. Production has moved to Germany.

As far as I am aware, the blades known in the hobby as Lab Blues are still made by Accutec in Verona, VA. The blades are marked as "Comfort Coated" on the packaging. In the photo shown above, the blades are described as Personna stainless steel double edge blades. Nowhere on the package is "Comfort Coated" listed. Thus, these German blades are not the same as the Comfort Coated lab blues made in USA. Since the blades are not Platinum Chrome blades (the new German made Israel reds), they are likely to be German versions of Israeli Personnas or Crystals.

Personally, I prefer the Personna Platinum Chrome and Personna Stainless blades to the USA made Comfort Coated lab blues. However, that is only because I have a very coarse beard. The coating on the lab blues is so thick that my first shave with the blades is uncomfortable. They are not sharp enough to slice cleanly through my beard, so I experience painful tugging. As the coating starts to wear off, they become much sharper and more suitable for my beard. Thus, my second shave is good. If I were to use the lab blues on a routine basis, I would have to strop the blades before using them to wear down the coating. For those whose beard is not so tough, the lab blues are likely to be great blades.

I have Israeli Platinum Chrome Israeli reds, Israeli Made Crystals and USA made Comfort Coated lab blues in my den along with a dozen other bulk packs. If I plan to use Personna blades, it will typically be the Israeli reds. I have also tried a pack of the new Platinum Chrome blades from Germany and find them to be essentially identical to the Israeli reds. However, since I have quite a few of the Israeli reds, I do not need to purchase the German blades.

As far as I am aware, the blades known in the hobby as Lab Blues are still made by Accutec in Verona, VA. The blades are marked as "Comfort Coated" on the packaging. In the photo shown above, the blades are described as Personna stainless steel double edge blades. Nowhere on the package is "Comfort Coated" listed. Thus, these German blades are not the same as the Comfort Coated lab blues made in USA. Since the blades are not Platinum Chrome blades (the new German made Israel reds), they are likely to be German versions of Israeli Personnas or Crystals.

Thanks.

The pictured blades came up from a search for the Personna Lab Blues, and as they've changed the packaging over the years, I just figured it was the most recent box.

Very easy error, and I'm glad I consulted the forum. I'll make sure to get the "comfort coated" Personna blades.

Also, after the first stroke or two, the Labs are great for my steel stubble. I don't like the the Platinum Chromes nearly as much. I find them sharp, but not very smooth, and often get irritation.

Blades are really a YMMMV product.

The Israeli plant which made the Personna Platinum Chrome blade is now closed. The facility was removed from the Edgewell web site sometime in 2020 although production ceased in 2019. Some products made in Israel are still available, but at elevated pricing due to scarcity. Along with the storied Israeli reds, the plant also made other blades including stainless blades known as Crystals. They were sometimes called Israeli Personnas. Production has moved to Germany.

Personally, I prefer the Personna Platinum Chrome and Personna Stainless blades to the USA made Comfort Coated lab blues. However, that is only because I have a very coarse beard. The coating on the lab blues is so thick that my first shave with the blades is uncomfortable. They are not sharp enough to slice cleanly through my beard, so I experience painful tugging. As the coating starts to wear off, they become much sharper and more suitable for my beard. Thus, my second shave is good. If I were to use the lab blues on a routine basis, I would have to strop the blades before using them to wear down the coating. For those whose beard is not so tough, the lab blues are likely to be great blades.

I have Israeli Platinum Chrome Israeli reds, Israeli Made Crystals and USA made Comfort Coated lab blues in my den along with a dozen other bulk packs. If I plan to use Personna blades, it will typically be the Israeli reds. I have also tried a pack of the new Platinum Chrome blades from Germany and find them to be essentially identical to the Israeli reds. However, since I have quite a few of the Israeli reds, I do not need to purchase the German blades.

Great summary!

I enjoy both the US made Labs (look for the words ‘Comfort Coated’) and the Israeli Reds (fortunately I stocked up before they moved production.) Two top-tier blades for me!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Are the German Platinum Chromes any different from the old Israeli Platinum Chromes?

If so, maybe I'll give them another try.

Are the German Platinum Chromes any different from the old Israeli Platinum Chromes?

If so, maybe I'll give them another try.

Not as far as I can tell, but I have only used a few of the German blades for test purposes as I have a stock of the Israeli ones. I did a face off between the two blades using them in identical DE89 heads each shaving one side of my face. I could not tell the difference between them.

Where do the “med prep”
blades fit into all this?

If the "comfort coated" Personna blades are still made in the USA, I assume the Med Preps are as well.

The Amazon listing photo from my OP now just seems like a new addition to the Personna mystery, but doesn't actually replace anything.

The blades from the listing are also stamped "Platinum Chrome" like the German/Israeli Reds. It may be a 100 sized box of the Reds to capitalize (and confuse) on people's appreciation of the Labs.

Then, I guess, some website sellers have things wrong? For instance, Fendrihans lists this as made in the USA:
PER161081_10_Personna_Platinum_Chrome_blades_x1024.jpeg

Top Bottom