What's new

That Windsor feeling! My journey with the Windsor from Above The Tie.

linty1

My wallet cries.
As shown in my opening post my set had 2 caps. One was a new one as part of the Windsor set, the second cap was from their returns. If there was a difference at, it must have been the minimal difference in the polishing I seemed to notice.
Later as I was so happy with my Windsor and as I like the mixed metal look, I ordered 2 copper plates from their returns. I don't know, how 'new' copper plates would look like, but honestly I wouldn't have complained if those plates had been declared as new, so immaculate they look.

Above The Tie doesn't do monkey business, I bet you will be fine with anything you order from their returns section. I strongly assume, that what has been returned, hasn't been returned because it was faulty, but from the test drive they offer. So I would only expect slight marks of use.

Thanks drydown and David, I just picked out a few pieces and clicked submit.

One simple question made by curiosity: what Is Happened to ATT? Once Upon a Time was the most used brand of high quality razors while today It has completly forgotten.

One simple question made by curiosity: what Is Happened to ATT? Once Upon a Time was the most used brand of high quality razors while today It has completly forgotten.

Hey, thank you for asking and joining the thread! :smile:

I assume that your statement is an assumption and originates from your perception how much talk about ATT happens on shaving boards.

Then first let me say, that what happens on boards like this here only reflects the interests of a small segment of people. It's a big, big world out there and just one of many examples I could give here: Many of my friends and customers own a luxury watch and / or are watch collectors. None of them is active on watch-boards. They socialize in real life, their time is short and precious or other interest are just more important. They have zero interest in introducing themselves to whatever community and some find just the idea downright hilarious.
For many and whatever reasons, these folks just not happen on the boards. And the more exlusive products are (think price here), the more of them you never meet on the web. They may stumble upon special interest boards, if they search for information about a product, but they just collect these impressions. They never participate.

And there are lots of people, who don't even look up the web, they simply follow the recommendation from a friend or a trusted local retailer and that's simply it.
And this meets my personal business. While I won't share concrete details because of privacy: I work in a luxury segment with some products pretty much exclusive. Only a few years ago, I did a workshop with one product, that in general is not a big, well-known name and had more than 120 customers participating. A competitor had a workshop on the same weekend with a major brand, which had just introduced a new product with much reviews. They had 3 folks, 2 of them were a couple.
And relating to this product, which also 'happens' on a board, I would estimate that only 3% of my customers, who own the product have ever participated on that board. But they tell their friends about it!

So, many products who see a small share on the web, happen big time outside the web and vice versa - some products who are totally the hype, don't happen much or at all outside the internet.

Second and related to Badger & Blade: Yes, Above The Tie and their razors certainly deserve much more popularity here!

I can only give you my very subjective mix of impressions and assumptions: The Windsor came to the market early 2017. (And it's still there and you can buy parts, how awesome is that, btw.) While ATT was not the first to build a so-called 'fixed adjustable razor', they were afaik the first, who heavily invested in it and made the system popular and are therefore pioneers. And that was long before the Windsor happened!
Many customers just forget about old-established products and many fine artisans joined the wave. Others just jumped the train, partly with copycat-models of exclusive razor and do aggressive viral marketing and - I know this from other branches and products - some/many customers reduce their perception of value to the very basics, like 'It's stainless steel for only xy-bucks!' and don't recognize finish or tolerances, development or the costs of small production lines.
And of course personal liking and preferences matter much. And probably some folks love to see a product visually reflect it's high price. Often I see exclusive artisan razors and think "Wow, that's a nice design!", but when I look at my Windsors my heart goes boom and I think "Yeah! That's how a razor looks like!"

--

Finally, oops, this turned out pretty long, right? I felt your serious question deserved a serious answer. I hope this topic will not seize this thread, because it has the potential for an endless discussion. ;)

P.S.: Btw, I think Above The Tie is doing fine. They will extend the Windsor line and apart from other tricks they have up their sleeves, they will surely introduce further new razors!
Alone the fact that they have just introduced a new single edge razor, the X1 Slant, shows their serious dedication and passion for our dens! 😎

Last edited:
Talking about fixed-adjustables:

210409_14181-Above-The-Tie-Windsor_w_plates.jpg

:)

are the top caps of the windsor and windsor pro identical?
Hello. Earlier today, I received an answer from Above the Tie regarding the same question. I quote their reply:
The primary difference between the Windsor & Windsor Pro caps is the blade exposure. The Windsor Pro cap has slightly more blade exposure than the Windsor. The other difference is aesthetic - the Windsor cap will have the same finish on the entire cap (satin or polished), while the Windsor Pro cap has the satin finish on the underside and polished on the top side.
You could use either cap with any of the Windsor (stainless steel or copper) or Windsor Pro base plates.

Stainless Steel Caps - https://www.abovethetie.com/products/stainless-steel-caps?variant=31395329540209

Windsor Pro Parts - https://www.abovethetie.com/products/windsor-pro-parts?variant=31859758366833

Windsor Pro head shaves brilliantly as is. Using Copper plates I have (CH1, CR1 & CM1) fits well with the cap, but maybe they would shave differently with Windsor cap. I know CM! behaved differently when coupled with the Windsor Pro Aluminium. Finally, what works best for me might not be for others, and it is just brilliant to be able to interchange between different aggression plates and material.

@J.Atique Thank you, great information
Hello. Earlier today, I received an answer from Above the Tie regarding the same question. I quote their reply:
The primary difference between the Windsor & Windsor Pro caps is the blade exposure. The Windsor Pro cap has slightly more blade exposure than the Windsor. The other difference is aesthetic - the Windsor cap will have the same finish on the entire cap (satin or polished), while the Windsor Pro cap has the satin finish on the underside and polished on the top side.
You could use either cap with any of the Windsor (stainless steel or copper) or Windsor Pro base plates.

Stainless Steel Caps - https://www.abovethetie.com/products/stainless-steel-caps?variant=31395329540209

Windsor Pro Parts - https://www.abovethetie.com/products/windsor-pro-parts?variant=31859758366833

Windsor Pro head shaves brilliantly as is. Using Copper plates I have (CH1, CR1 & CM1) fits well with the cap, but maybe they would shave differently with Windsor cap. I know CM! behaved differently when coupled with the Windsor Pro Aluminium. Finally, what works best for me might not be for others, and it is just brilliant to be able to interchange between different aggression plates and material.

Wow, again a fantastic shave with the Windsor Pro. The Gillette Wilkinson blade works spectacular with two shaves in. With the grain, xtg and atg, it works in every direction buttery smooth. Beautiful, smooth and efficient shaver
View attachment 1250948

Guten Abend! 🍷

And thank you so, so much, what a fantastic image! I tried to figure out, how you did this, but it doesn't matter, I'm just enjoying your work - bravo! 🤗

Yep, the Sword is a damn fine one. I always cheer, when I have to buy blades on vacations and spot the Sword. Sufficiently sharp and it holds it's level for many consistent shaves. It's a solid and always trustworthy friend.

When I started this thread I switched to the Perma Sharp and used the PS then exclusively too have at least one thing constant while switching plates and razors. Today I'm on the 4th shave with my other favourite, the Gillette Silver Blue. It's too early that I would want to state much, but if what I'm experiencing holds, it could well happen, that I will prefer to the GSB in the long run. I'll report back later.

--

I was too lazy to clean the SSH1 today, so I picked the SSR1 for this:

210414_14208-Above-The-Tie-Windsor_Chubby2STBS.jpg

Hi All - Been loving the shaves and especially photos from this thread. I'm seriously considering an ATT purchase - but curious on the level of blade feel to efficiency ratio on the SSR1 and SSH1 Windsors. If anyone could opine on that it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi All - Been loving the shaves and especially photos from this thread. I'm seriously considering an ATT purchase - but curious on the level of blade feel to efficiency ratio on the SSR1 and SSH1 Windsors. If anyone could opine on that it would be greatly appreciated.

Hey & howdy! And thank you! 🌞

Regarding your question, I'm not sure I really understand it, it's the relation between blade feel and efficiency where I struggle, because at least my brain or my limit as a non-native speaker is the cause. If you had worded it 'level of blade feel and efficiency ratio' of them, I would understand and probably that's how you meant it anyway.

However, I'm giving you my findings:

I mounted the SSR1 plate this morning to check against my memory as I have been shaving with the H-base exclusively for many, many weeks now.
Both have a very muted blade feel. The wide cap covering the blades' sides and the little blade reveal (how much of the blade you can see protruding) hold the blade very rigid and as @nav stated it "This makes the razor feel like GEM razor in smoothness! It has minimal blade feel due to very little blade chatter.". See his post #33 here and his review I had linked to in #1.

It's exactly this stability and smoothness (no matter the plate) which I superlove. Not like the R41, which clamps the blade rigidly but exposes a lot of it and the Futur, there's is not a metal sing (or almost a choir if you open the Futur) with the Windsor. It's more a quiet melody. And while I can speak of blade feel (because of chatter) with those razors, I prefer to call it edge-awareness on the Windsor. And due to the higher gap this is stronger with the H-plate than with the R.

The SSH1 is definitely more efficient than the SSR1, but I wouldn't say it's more aggressive. Of course chances you get a cut or nick are raised with the H, but again, it's overall amazingly gentle and it never wants to bite, you almost have to beg it to do so. That's why I called the SSH1 'an R41 that understands' some posts before.

I think shaving with the classic Windsor is just so mature, it's for the connoisseur. As you are state neighbours with ATT, I would simply try the Windsor with both plates and you can safely take advantage of their 90 days return policy ( see their FAQ ) just in case.

Last edited:
Hey & howdy! And thank you! 🌞

Regarding your question, I'm not sure I really understand it, it's the relation between blade feel and efficiency where I struggle, because at least my brain or my limit as a non-native speaker is the cause. If you had worded it 'level of blade feel and efficiency ratio' of them, I would understand and probably that's how you meant it anyway.

However, I'm giving you my findings:

I mounted the SSR1 plate this morning to check against my memory as I have been shaving with the H-base exclusively for many, many weeks now.
Both have a very muted blade feel. The wide cap covering the blades' sides and the little blade reveal (how much of the blade you can see protruding) hold the blade very rigid and as @nav stated it "This makes the razor feel like GEM razor in smoothness! It has minimal blade feel due to very little blade chatter.". See his post #33 here and his review I had linked to in #1.

It's exactly this stability and smoothness (no matter the plate) which I superlove. Not like the R41, which clamps the blade rigidly but exposes a lot of it and the Futur, there's is not a metal sing (or almost a choir if you open the Futur) with the Windsor. It's more a quiet melody. And while I can speak of blade feel (because of chatter) with those razors, I prefer to call it edge-awareness on the Windsor. And due to the higher gap this is stronger with the H-plate than with the R.

The SSH1 is definitely more efficient than the SSR1, but I wouldn't say it's more aggressive. Of course chances you get a cut or nick are raised with the H, but again, it's overall amazingly gentle and it never wants to bite, you almost have to beg it to do so. That's why I called the SSH1 'an R41 that understands' some posts before.

I think shaving with the classic Windsor is just so mature, it's for the connoisseur. As you are state neighbours with ATT, I would simply try the Windsor with both plates and you can safely take advantage of their 90 days return policy ( see their FAQ ) just in case.

Very well said!
I agree with everything.

I would add that comparing R to H is not entirely accurate because it firstly comes down to how much efficiency one requires.

If one requires H plate level efficiency then it would be pertinent to compare razors around this level of efficiency, or around R plate of that level of efficiency is required.

R vs H would of course reveal R plate having a significantly milder feel given the huge drop in efficiency.

I would also advise trying them out under ATT's return policy. It really is one of the best razors around!

It's been some time since I posted a new photo of the undisputed king of my den. Here's the Windsor SSH1 with the copper base (SSCH1) together with what is to me the most beautiful, most powerful and most excellent face-lathering small brush:

210507_14223-AboveTheTie-Windsor-SSCH_Chubby1IVM.jpg

Have a great weekend everyone! 🌞

Here's to cherish the great Windsor Pro Kronos SB90 proudly resting in ATT's stand and as a side story: As told earlier in this thread, I had broken the handle of my Ivory Chubby 3 Super (and had me made a replacement handle later) and got me a Butterscotch one as a back up when I had an order with @A.E. Simpson 1919 running anyway.
I had it sitting in it's box for many months always asking the modest part of me - at least I'm trying, right? -, if I really want to afford the decadence of having two brushes of the same kind. Finally I decided that I want. 🥳
Here is my lovely Butterscotch giant in it's first bloom:

210512_14231-Above-The-Tie-Windsor-Pro_Simpson_Chubby3-Super-BU-IV.jpg

Top Bottom