What's new

Blackland Era email

Details will come in the next few weeks prior to the release. We won’t include blade exposure specs and gap is unlikely. You can’t shave with a spec sheet and we want to avoid confusion for inexperienced shavers. Qualitative descriptions of the aggressiveness scale are more likely and, in my opinion, far more useful.
I can only speak for myself, I have had enough experience to know what I like, what many different gap/blade exposure combinations feel like and how each works for me. Surely there can be room somewhere on a full web page description of your new produce to include a line or two with this information. However it is your product and you have every right to present it as you choose. Maybe there are not enough potential buyers who use this information in their buying decision to matter to you.
In any case I wish you luck in your innovative venture and hope many buy and enjoy your product.

I can only speak for myself, I have had enough experience to know what I like, what many different gap/blade exposure combinations feel like and how each works for me. Surely there can be room somewhere on a full web page description of your new produce to include a line or two with this information. However it is your product and you have every right to present it as you choose. Maybe there are not enough potential buyers who use this information in their buying decision to matter to you.
In any case I wish you luck in your innovative venture and hope many buy and enjoy your product.

I completely understand. It's not about space on the website. It's about the delicate balance between enough information and too much information. Specifically, how much technical detail does the average customer require to buy a razor? There are also additional considerations, too. If we publish the blade gaps then people start comparing not just Era to Era, but they compare the Era base plates to our other razors. So then you run into people seeing the L3 blade gap is larger than the Blackbird so they assume it's more aggressive which is incorrect. It becomes a mess.

It's much easier to just offer comparisons or qualitative suggestions. New to shaving? Sensitive skin? L1 or L2 SB will be better. These kinds of descriptors are more useful. I understand the technical nerds who want to know everything because I am one of those nerds. But we're selling to non-experts and nerd language is an intimidating turn-off.

And, finally, we have a return policy for this reason. I don't want people to pretend that they can shave with a spec sheet. You really can't. So try the thing for a month and send it back if it's not right.

We haven't published blade gaps in years and it hasn't slowed things down one bit. In fact, people rarely ask about it. So I think we'll be fine, but I'm always happy to be proven wrong!

Does anybody know why all of these Era threads were moved out of the safety razor forum?

How is this NOT a discussion of a safety razor?

Does anybody know why all of these Era threads were moved out of the safety razor forum?

How is this NOT a discussion of a safety razor?

I have no idea. I don't think it's very fair due to reduced exposure and I also think it's just poor organization that doesn't serve the members of this forum very well. Pretty frustrating.

Shane, is the black finish like the original Blackbird or something different?

Different. The Blackbird was black oxide. This is a more robust plating that will not patina or wear. We are split testing two very similar finishes right now which is basically the final pre-production step.

Top Bottom