What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in, another shave with the German version of the Personna Platinum and again it felt identical to the Israeli verion.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Energizing Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Fine Accoutrements L'Orange Noir (Classic base)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- Hylamide Low-Molecular Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- L'Occitane Eau De Cedrat After Shave Cream Gel
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- 50's Gillette Aluminium Ball End Tech
- German Personna Platinum (2)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

My sister liked the argan oil shampoo I gifted once. I think they like trinkets more than anything of actual value. :001_smile

Oh, please, don't remind me of that too! My wife likes all kind of oils. Olive, argan, nut and i don't know what else! Of course they like trinkets, as well as anything that will make them "beautiful"! Or promises to! I only have aftershave and aftershave balm for my face! I don't have moisturizers, creams, oils or anything. After all, i am a man! I already consider myself spoiled for using luxurious shaving creams and soaps that cost 5 euros and many men in Burundi would dream of! With 5 euros you can eat for a week in Burundi!

My wife does likes creams, sprays, oils,mascaras, perfumes, fumes, because she isn't Burundian. She was born in Europe. So she says i am primitive. I think i am just a man who doesn't want oils or funny smelling creams on my face. And i don't want to be a woman either. My wife more than once, almost had me die of heart attack, because i accidentally woke up at night and i saw next to me a shining darkness from the oils or a ghost, from the cream she had in her face. So at the end, i told her "no more things on your face before sleep!". She says i am primitive Burundian or she calls me a Zulu, even though i don't even speak the language. I wish i did! I tried to pick up words from the tv series! So i reply to her in zulu words to make fun of her! I told her "why don't you just put cucumber slices on your face, like american women did in the films? And she tells me, that i am primitive and that these are things of 40 years ago! So i eat the cucumbers and i pray that i won't wake up at night with a heart attack...

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
16 April. Still in restraint. Gillette Silver Blue blade, red tip Super Speed. DR Harris Marlborough shave soap stick, Simpsons M6 Manchurian. Vintage kanon to finish.

See this brush? This brush knocked me out of a GRUME last summer. A limited edition Simpsons M6 Manchurian. No, you don't see them very often. So I simply HAD TO have it. I think it's an example of the narrow list of items that I can actually justify as worthy of ditching a restraint so that I might own them. Now I've had it since July, I believe, but I don't think I've used it once so far in 2021 until today. In fact I seldom even think of it.

So how important was it? Do I like it? Oh yeah. Am I happy that I own it? Sure I am. But really- did I need it? Would my experience of shaving be lessened if I only had 327 Simpsons rather than 328 Simpsons? Did I think of any of this prior to making the purchase? Of course not.

sotd apr 16.jpeg

16 April. Still in restraint. Gillette Silver Blue blade, red tip Super Speed. DR Harris Marlborough shave soap stick, Simpsons M6 Manchurian. Vintage kanon to finish.

See this brush? This brush knocked me out of a GRUME last summer. A limited edition Simpsons M6 Manchurian. No, you don't see them very often. So I simply HAD TO have it. I think it's an example of the narrow list of items that I can actually justify as worthy of ditching a restraint so that I might own them. Now I've had it since July, I believe, but I don't think I've used it once so far in 2021 until today. In fact I seldom even think of it.

So how important was it? Do I like it? Oh yeah. Am I happy that I own it? Sure I am. But really- did I need it? Would my experience of shaving be lessened if I only had 327 Simpsons rather than 328 Simpsons? Did I think of any of this prior to making the purchase? Of course not.

View attachment 1252445

Unusually high loft for a Simpson... I would have done the same if it was ruby or emerald handle. And wise words, once more. It is no chance that you were always my favorite Irish actor! Not that i know many, but, unforgettable nonetheless!

Still in. SOTD - 16 APR 2021

SOTD 04162021.jpg

Did a razor comparison between Razorock GC84 and Stirling SS-ST plate. Both felt very efficient but I noticed more blade feel and feedback with the Stirling SS razor. GC84 felt more comfortable to shave with but Stirling razor felt more crisp with the loud blade feedback. Overall, both got me to a similar BBS result. Slight irritation on the neck but the alum and post-shave soothed it down.

Just the brush, it's all that i care for anyway.

as.png

Excellent shave with Lea puck. This brush works surprisingly well. I am impressed. I am more and more convinced that this was a low grade silvertip and someone clipped the tips and decided to sell it for 5 euros. But the hair is so fine, that i can't really see the tips. Also, Lea provided much better cushion than Proraso against the tips. I could feel them much less. I have 5 more pucks, but maybe i should stock up some more... This soaps works really well for me and is cheap too.

On the negative side, the glue from AstraSP, after the 2nd shave, is still stuck on the internal side of the razor cap. My usual shampoo+brush cleaning routine doesn't remove it, i will have to resort to toothbrush. Which i find very disturbing, to the point i think of sending all my AstraSP to Burundi with the next box...

Last edited:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Still in
IMG_20210416_225958.jpg
Tonights shave used the Yaqi closed comb razor and the Astra SS (15) this is a very good blade and is still working for me although it appears to have lost a littile of its sharpness. The soap for tonight is the Rasozero Barbaccio lathered with the Anbbas pure badger.
The shave was excellent with a dfs finish with no irritation

The good news is, your recent dropout, Roedeer, duly got his lathering bowl, and he liked it a lot.

The bad news is, you shouldn't look at 365 Shaves, where you will find yourself thoroughly subverted into Bowl Acquisition Disorder.

Don't Look There.
The mug I just posted above was $1 from Dollarama. My main stainless bowl was $6 on Amazon. Thank god I don’t have a fancy shaving bowl problem! Blade, brush, soap, aftershave and razor addictions are enough for me.

Hey lads...

I just put my name on the Wolfman waiting list. I didn’t actually buy anything, commit to actually buying anything or pay a cent deposit and the wait time is 7-8 months.

I would be shocked if this kicks me out of this GRUME but I should check.

I don’t want to be called a liar liar pants on fire in 8 months when I brag about my shiny new razor and one of you guys that is a good rememberer ask for documentation for GRUME auditing purposes.

My fate is in your hands. God help me...

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The good news is, your recent dropout, Roedeer, duly got his lathering bowl, and he liked it a lot.

The bad news is, you shouldn't look at 365 Shaves, where you will find yourself thoroughly subverted into Bowl Acquisition Disorder.

Don't Look There.
I have a question about that 365 thread. Can I shave 30 times a day each day for a week at the end of June and then not shave again till Christmas but still be in good standing in that thread? I mean, hypothetically, couldn't a guy do 90 shaves a week for a month and essentially have his 365 shaves finished? Is there a prize for finishing first?

I have a question about that 365 thread. Can I shave 30 times a day each day for a week at the end of June and then not shave again till Christmas but still be in good standing in that thread? I mean, hypothetically, couldn't a guy do 90 shaves a week for a month and essentially have his 365 shaves finished? Is there a prize for finishing first?
Could I shave twice tomorrow if I can’t shave today so I catch up? I could end up spending a night in the hospital, jail, nuthouse or lost in the woods and not be able to shave.

Do you lose a finger or something if you don’t actually shave every day?

The whole thing sounds too stressful and way too strict for me. 😜

Hey lads...

I just put my name on the Wolfman waiting list. I didn’t actually buy anything, commit to actually buying anything or pay a cent deposit and the wait time is 7-8 months.

I would be shocked if this kicks me out of this GRUME but I should check.

I don’t want to be called a liar liar pants on fire in 8 months when I brag about my shiny new razor and one of you guys that is a good rememberer ask for documentation for GRUME auditing purposes.

My fate is in your hands. God help me...

Personally, I would say you are good as my understanding is you are out of a GRUME when you spend any money on a shave related purchase or service that month. You aren’t spending any money in April on it so I’d say you are good... for now... until the next shiny brush catches your eye 😜

BTW, congrats on deciding on getting the wolf, fancy. Have you already decided on what you want? If not, you have like 8 months for it to eat away at you haha. You’ve been personally keeping the Canadian razor industry alive the last few months

Top Bottom