What's new

Blackland Era email

After a few weeks of mulling it over, I ordered a Blackland Vector yesterday. I guess that put me on their email list, as this morning I got an email announcing more details about the new Era DE razor someone posted about a couple weeks ago.

It sounds interesting and the price is pretty reasonable. 3D printed in stainless (didn't know that was possible) with black finish, six grips, five base plates, open and safety bar options. Starts at $75 and probably released in May.
1618495032200.png

I will be very interested in learning why there is a black finish, and exactly what that black finish is. My perception based on everything I know about Blackland (which is mostly based on what Shane himself has posted over the years) is that Shane has specific reasons for everything he does. IOW, I doubt very much if the black finish is just an aesthetic choice. We shall see.

I guess the novel aspect of it is that, although it is stainless steel, it was 3D printed.

Honestly, don't buy this razor just because it's 3D printed. That doesn't really matter. It's not a gimmick to own the first metal 3D printed razor.

I didn’t choose 3D printing just to say we could. Instead, I chose it because it allowed us to create a razor that does everything – stainless steel, tight tolerances, made in the USA, adjustable base plates, edge-to-edge blade clamping, etc. – at a price that no similar razor can touch and we can do it on a massive scale that will allow us to meet demand. Simply put, we chose it because this is the best way to make an incredible razor. That's what novel. Nobody else can match what the Era does at this price point.

3D printing is a tool - not the product.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Honestly, don't buy this razor just because it's 3D printed. That doesn't really matter. It's not a gimmick to own the first metal 3D printed razor.

I didn’t choose 3D printing just to say we could. Instead, I chose it because it allowed us to create a razor that does everything – stainless steel, tight tolerances, made in the USA, adjustable base plates, edge-to-edge blade clamping, etc. – at a price that no similar razor can touch and we can do it on a massive scale that will allow us to meet demand. Simply put, we chose it because this is the best way to make an incredible razor. That's what novel. Nobody else can match what the Era does at this price point.

3D printing is a tool - not the product.
That is just awesome!! Two questions, both of which I already know the answers to I think:

How set are your designs? With almost all other vendors, in the first 6 months to a year of production, things are refined and tweaked. This means that a v1 is different from a v2, v3, etc. This is incredibly frustrating, to me at least. I think that you are similar to me, and like to have things finalized before launching. So I am guessing that you have final-final designs. But I want to hear it from the horse's mouth!

How efficient are this razor's high level plates? Does it equal the Blackbird OC in efficiency?

Many thanks!

That is just awesome!! Two questions, both of which I already know the answers to I think:

How set are your designs? With almost all other vendors, in the first 6 months to a year of production, things are refined and tweaked. This means that a v1 is different from a v2, v3, etc. This is incredibly frustrating, to me at least. I think that you are similar to me, and like to have things finalized before launching. So I am guessing that you have final-final designs. But I want to hear it from the horse's mouth!

How efficient are this razor's high level plates? Does it equal the Blackbird OC in efficiency?

Many thanks!

Nothing is ever set in stone, but I'm very confident in our designs. Still, once you put things out into the world you learn a lot more than testing could ever tell you. So I think reacting to feedback and making adjustments is a positive thing and the good thing about this method of manufacturing is that we can make tweaks on the fly if that's necessary. I don't plan on doing that, but I won't let confidence or ego get in the way of making changes based on feedback if that would make the product better.

It's not really meant to be a Blackbird competitor. L5 OC is certainly an aggressive razor. Very different in feel to the Blackbird and highly efficient.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Nothing is ever set in stone, but I'm very confident in our designs. Still, once you put things out into the world you learn a lot more than testing could ever tell you. So I think reacting to feedback and making adjustments is a positive thing and the good thing about this method of manufacturing is that we can make tweaks on the fly if that's necessary. I don't plan on doing that, but I won't let confidence or ego get in the way of making changes based on feedback if that would make the product better.

It's not really meant to be a Blackbird competitor. L5 OC is certainly an aggressive razor. Very different in feel to the Blackbird and highly efficient.
drool

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Anyone know blade gap and blade exposure for the different plates? Definitely will keep an eye out for reviews and user experiences, not sure if it is different enough from the other 30 plus razors I own to buy, yet.

Anyone know blade gap and blade exposure for the different plates? Definitely will keep an eye out for reviews and user experiences, not sure if it is different enough from the other 30 plus razors I own to buy, yet.

Details will come in the next few weeks prior to the release. We won’t include blade exposure specs and gap is unlikely. You can’t shave with a spec sheet and we want to avoid confusion for inexperienced shavers. Qualitative descriptions of the aggressiveness scale are more likely and, in my opinion, far more useful.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Details will come in the next few weeks prior to the release. We won’t include blade exposure specs and gap is unlikely. You can’t shave with a spec sheet and we want to avoid confusion for inexperienced shavers. Qualitative descriptions of the aggressiveness scale are more likely and, in my opinion, far more useful.
I'm cheap. But this is the first new production razor I have been tempted by in like..... forever. Looks great Shane.

I'm cheap. But this is the first new production razor I have been tempted by in like..... forever. Looks great Shane.

Thank you! I also wouldn't call someone willing to drop $75 on a razor cheap. We've become so deluded by the $300 razors that it's skewed our perception of value. Seventy-five bucks is a decent chunk of change and I think it's the price point where you'd expect high quality, good service, nice packaging, etc. I'm glad we can bring those things with a product made in the USA at the right price.

FarmerTan

Thank you! I also wouldn't call someone willing to drop $75 on a razor cheap. We've become so deluded by the $300 razors that it's skewed our perception of value. Seventy-five bucks is a decent chunk of change and I think it's the price point where you'd expect high quality, good service, nice packaging, etc. I'm glad we can bring those things with a product made in the USA at the right price.
Brother, I am at a place in life where a $75 razor ain't going to be a budget buster, but I have a wife who likes to bust my chops for how much shaving stuff I have, LOL!

But YOUR product, and YOUR way of doing business reminds me of how I did business, and while I might buy a used $500 razor, it's beyond my comfort level.

YOU are just the kind of chap that could separate me from part of my pension check (if the War Department approves the expenditure!)

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Brother, I am at a place in life where a $75 razor ain't going to be a budget buster, but I have a wife who likes to bust my chops for how much shaving stuff I have, LOL!

But YOUR product, and YOUR way of doing business reminds me of how I did business, and while I might buy a used $500 razor, it's beyond my comfort level.

YOU are just the kind of chap that could separate me from part of my pension check (if the War Department approves the expenditure!)
Maybe a passaround would be amenable to the War department approval committee?

FarmerTan

Maybe a passaround would be amenable to the War department approval committee?
Lol, is it alright if I can convince her to shave her legs with it? I have an anniversary coming up. One of these would have to be better than the Red Maple tree I bought her for our first anniversary on the clearance rack!

FarmerTan

I appreciate that, guys! Once full production is rolling there will be plenty to go around. :)
Shane, if you've read much of the drivel I post on here you know this ain't saying much, but this really is revolutionary to me, the whole way this thing is made is like a replicator on Star Trek!

Top Bottom