What's new

April Frugal Follies Cheapskate Challenge (AFFCC) - 2021.

AFFCC - Day 13, Shave 12

Baili 191
Derby Extra (12)
Anbbas synthetic
Palmolive
Alum

Uneventful again - no bad luck on the 13th!

The scratchiness of the brush is really beginning to grate a bit (🤣) but otherwise this kit is straight up easy and reliable, wouldn't hesitate for a moment to recommend it (although I'd probably recommend the other handle Baili does on this head!)

Temptation of the day?
One I'm not massively fond of, albeit only used a couple of times - it's not bad as such, just a touch more blade feel than I like/want, perhaps I'll come to like it more with a few more uses (though I don't particularly expect to). Great handle on it for today's temptation though!
The GC84 - might well sell or trade once April's over and I've used it a few more times if I don't come to like it, possibly for a 68?

Temptation? Resisted, of course!

20210413_220206.jpg

... "(although I'd probably recommend the other handle Baili does on this head!)"...

I really like long handled razors and I think yours is the long handle model with this head. I have the 176 and really like the razor. It is a very mild shaver, but I get really close and smooth with it. I did not purchase yours because even though the handle is longer it just looked too slippery, glad you are enjoying it. I plan to pull mine back out when we finish this challenge.

I really like long handled razors and I think yours is the long handle model with this head. I have the 176 and really like the razor. It is a very mild shaver, but I get really close and smooth with it. I did not purchase yours because even though the handle is longer it just looked too slippery, glad you are enjoying it. I plan to pull mine back out when we finish this challenge.
I bought the Vikings Blade Godfather version ($10 for the razor, $20 for the name and red stripe) of this one. I coated the handle with Plasti Dip to help with the grip; it seems to work during those very infrequent times I pull it out of the drawer to remind myself not to allow the number of Amazon reviews sway my purchasing decisions.

I really like long handled razors and I think yours is the long handle model with this head. I have the 176 and really like the razor. It is a very mild shaver, but I get really close and smooth with it. I did not purchase yours because even though the handle is longer it just looked too slippery, glad you are enjoying it.

Yes, this handle is much longer than the other (with this handle it's model 191, but same head as the 176)...
The extra weight is welcome, although the extra length I would typically swerve.

Totally agree that it's mild yet effective - just how I like them (and if still effective, even milder is fine, the Mamba 53 for example).

The handle isn't actually all that slippy in use - it's not a real grippy handle (like the RR UFO in today's picture for example) but I've not really felt like it was trying to escape me either - even when lather has dribbled off the brush and onto my hand.

The GC84 - might well sell or trade once April's over and I've used it a few more times if I don't come to like it, possibly for a 68?

I love my GC .68. I think it's as close as you can get to a stainless version of the Baili 191 head. Both are incredibly smooth and rigid, and reward long, fast moving strokes. If you like one, you'll probably like the other (and vice versa). The GC .84 has gone in and out of my shopping cart a dozen times. I'm bound to buy it one of these days. :)

Totally agree that it's mild yet effective - just how I like them (and if still effective, even milder is fine, the Mamba 53 for example).

I agree 100%. People underestimate these razors because they're so smooth you have to check whether there is even a blade in it sometimes. Many razors are less efficient, and yet fell much more aggressive. A bunch of us BOSC lunatics became obsessed with razor rigidity and smoothness a few years ago and tried to figure out the razor design parameters that contribute to an rigid, smooth, efficient razor. This is the diagram of the different razor design characteristics that contribute to rigidity/smoothness. It's probably not the latest version, but it's what I had handy on Imgur. The definitions of the various design parameters can be found in the Wiki link below the pic.

proxy.php

Not pictured in this is "curve radius". That's how much the blade is bent into an arch, effective turning it into a spring. This adds tremendous rigidity and therefore smoothness to the design. Here is a sketch of what I'm talking about:

proxy.php

proxy.php

The bend radius on the Baili 191/176 head is just ridiculous. It's the steepest I've ever measured with calipers. It's clamping distance is also one of the shortest. It's just an absolutely brilliant razor design. The Game Change .68 and Mamabe incorporated a lot of it's design elements.

proxy.php

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I love my GC .68. I think it's as close as you can get to a stainless version of the Baili 191 head. Both are incredibly smooth and rigid, and reward long, fast moving strokes. If you like one, you'll probably like the other (and vice versa). The GC .84 has gone in and out of my shopping cart a dozen times. I'm bound to buy it one of these days. :)

I agree 100%. People underestimate these razors because they're so smooth you have to check whether there is even a blade in it sometimes. Many razors are less efficient, and yet fell much more aggressive. A bunch of us BOSC lunatics became obsessed with razor rigidity and smoothness a few years ago and tried to figure out the razor design parameters that contribute to an rigid, smooth, efficient razor. This is the diagram of the different razor design characteristics that contribute to rigidity/smoothness. It's probably not the latest version, but it's what I had handy on Imgur. The definitions of the various design parameters can be found in the Wiki link below the pic.

proxy.php

Not pictured in this is "curve radius". That's how much the blade is bent into an arch, effective turning it into a spring. This adds tremendous rigidity and therefore smoothness to the design. Here is a sketch of what I'm talking about:

proxy.php

proxy.php

The bend radius on the Baili 191/176 head is just ridiculous. It's the steepest I've ever measured with calipers. It's clamping distance is also one of the shortest. It's just an absolutely brilliant razor design. The Game Change .68 and Mamabe incorporated a lot of it's design elements.

proxy.php
+1

I have the GC68-P, GC84-P, and the GC-OC84. I absolutely loved my GC68-P, but since using my GC84-P for last year's FFMM, I haven't touched the GC68-P. I would say the next time you put a GC84-P in your cart to just hit the buy button, and if you like OC razors, add a GC-OC84 baseplate with the order.
enablers.jpg

AFFCC : Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Blade # 2
Shave # 2
AFFCC Shave # 10

Razor : Pearl A-141 Tiranga (Indian tri-color) open comb

Blade : Gillette Wikinson Sword Saloon Pack
Cream : Yardley of London Aloe Vera
Brush: Pearl Synthetic

Post shave: Alum block + Sacred Earth Aftershave

Continuing my alternate day journey as my state goes down for a tight lockdown in the Pandemic. Worrying times !

The second shave was equally amazing as the first and my mind was comparing the Gillette Wilkinson Sword and the Willy's Blade.

First two shaves with the Willy's were not as pleasant as the combo was new. Maybe another Wilky's Blade will help me measure the sharpness of these two blades.

The Pearl flexi gave a good 4 shaves with the Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade. Remains to be seen how many shaves can this Razor give with the same blade.

Good shaves gentlemen and be safe !
20210414_215102.jpg

Last edited:
Which blades work well for you in the Mamba?

Most, to be honest... Treet DuraSharp are very smooth for 4-5, I really like them. Derby Usta is another definite favourite...
Most blades are absolutely fine in it, even ones that aren't all that sharp (eg: Treet Black Beauties), but then I think the narrow window of effective angles may help there?

I used to feel like it mattered a lot which blades I chose... The more experience I've gained, the better my prep has gotten and the more I've come to favour shallow angles the less it seems to matter - ten years ago I would've sworn there's a far bigger difference than I'd be willing to state with any certainty now.

There's a few blades I have no interest in revisiting, but then I have no real need to either, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over whether I'm justified in not doing so or not.

AFFCC - Day 13, Shave 12

Baili 191
Derby Extra (13)
Anbbas synthetic
Palmolive
Alum

All is still well with the Extra - another smooth, close and comfortable shave.

Today's temptation?
A real golden oldy... 1920 to be precise... Really effective and when kept very shallow still pretty smooth.
But no, not today.

Old type - resisted.

20210414_205401.jpg

20210414_205414.jpg

So are we stating that these razors are more suited to steep angle shaving ?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wednesday, April 14
AFFCC #5

Razor:
Razorock DE1
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Brush: Omega 10290
Soap: Vitos Extra Super Coco
ASL: Aqua Velva
ASB: Nivea balm

I have been getting so much extra lather with the Vitos I only gave the brush 10 light swirls in the tub, then built a mediocre lather in the bowl, and finished building the lather on my face. It hydrated very well and away I went with the DE1 with just enough for two quick N-S passes.

Did I hear someone mention the nice thing about SE razors is the lack of blade choices? :cornut:
My tease for the day is my ATT SE1 with aluminum baseplate, @Rosseforp Ti handle, and Schick Proline blades.

I cleaned up the kit, splashed on the Aqua Velva, rubbed in some Nivea balm and popped in a movie. Well, I hit the DVR button. Columbiana. Good movie.

20210414_224413[1].jpg

AFFCC - Day 15, Shave 14

Baili 191
Derby Extra (14)
Anbbas synthetic
Palmolive
Alum

So today was terrible...

Just kidding, it was pretty much the same as most other days this week have been - smooth, close, comfortable and with virtually no feel from the alum at all.

In fact, I even got out my Osma alum block just to double check this super cheapy one wasn't defective somehow (seems unlikely and these haven't been shaves I'd expect irritation from anyway, but just for curiosity sake)... Nope, no irritation on the cheapy block half of my face/neck and none from the Osma - the cheapy is much rougher in texture, but there's no discernible difference in sting between the two.

So... The temptation of the day...
Another really tough one, a solid medium-mild razor that I've used hundreds of times before - an exemplary daily driver.

Razorock Mamba 70? Resisted!

20210415_214900.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Baili Victory 176
Blade: Silver Star (6)
Brush: Omega S10077
Soap: LEA Menthol
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave (Splash)
030_22.jpg

I had a very nice and smooth dfs shave. I have no complaints with this line up. I did, however, get a Chrome Piccolo to add to my Fatip collection. I'm fighting the desire to use it, but I'm committed to April Frugal Follies. The Baili Victory 176 hits way above its price point. Happy Shaves!

Top Bottom