What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
075CD989-F20C-48C6-BAD9-7FA94D709D25.jpeg

“The Artist,” 2011 Oscar winner for best picture, director, and actor. Streaming on Netflix in the U.S. Highly recommended.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
"Charlie Chan at the Opera" (1936). A nice, clean print with great sound. Warner Oland is in top form as Charlie; so is Boris Karloff as an "escaped maniac."

"Charlie Chan in Egypt" (1935). Lousy print. Tries a bit too hard for laughs in spots. Interesting minor supporting role by Rita Cansino . . . later to be renamed Rita Hayworth. Oland is my favorite Chan; he certainly doesn't disappoint here despite the film's shortcomings.

Bad Education 2015. It was bad.
I know of two Bad Education movies, both of which I really liked, but neither from 2015. One was a Pedro Almodovar movie (very creepy) and the other was a very recent Hugh Jackman movie about a real life high school principal.

"Charlie Chan at the Opera" (1936). A nice, clean print with great sound. Warner Oland is in top form as Charlie; so is Boris Karloff as an "escaped maniac."

"Charlie Chan in Egypt" (1935). Lousy print. Tries a bit too hard for laughs in spots. Interesting minor supporting role by Rita Cansino . . . later to be renamed Rita Hayworth. Oland is my favorite Chan; he certainly doesn't disappoint here despite the film's shortcomings.
I too prefer Oland, my older brother likes Toler better. I don't know anyone who prefers Winters.

On a recommendation from the Looper channel, I watched Braven on Netflix. Decent action movie to eat breakfast and catch up on emails by.

"Wooden Crosses" (1932), The Masters of Cinema BD/DVD #105. The French know how to make the best WW I films. While I love the 1919 silent "J'Accuse, the 2004 "A Very Long Engagement", the USA 1928 John Ford "Four Sons", and others, Wooden Crosses might be the best WW I film as it's all war, without a sappy side story getting in the way. Having bought a new multi-region BD/DVD player last week, that works with my 65" Sony TV, I can finally enjoy my PAL BD/DVD's again.

"Wooden Crosses" (1932), The Masters of Cinema BD/DVD #105. The French know how to make the best WW I films. While I love the 1919 silent "J'Accuse, the 2004 "A Very Long Engagement", the USA 1928 John Ford "Four Sons", and others, Wooden Crosses might be the best WW I film as it's all war, without a sappy side story getting in the way. Having bought a new multi-region BD/DVD player last week, that works with my 65" Sony TV, I can finally enjoy my PAL BD/DVD's again.
What about The Grand Illusion?

Went to see "Godzilla Vs. Kong" last night. Almost was a private showing. I was all alone in the theater until the last two previews. Then 4 others walked in.

Not bad. Special effects were stunning as expected, story lines and acting were a bit thin. No complaints for a senior citizen discount showing of $6.75. :biggrin1:

What about The Grand Illusion?

A great film. Thanks for reminding me. It's been years since I've seen that one. After your post I was debating whether to order the blu-ray, when I remembered I had a spindle full of 1930s dvd's in the basement that I had recorded off TCM 10+ years ago. Lucky for me Grand Illusion was one of them, so I watched it this morning. It was a great print to boot, so I saved $30 by skipping the Blu-ray.

All too often with b&w movies, Blu-rays just blow up the picture and chop off the heads & sides. With silent films, they also tend to eliminate booklets and extras, and/or commission a cheaper score that I don't like. I have too many silent films, where I prefer an older dvd over blu-ray

Top Bottom