What's new

Occam's Razor from Classic Shaving- two-week review

The OREN seems to be out of stock..the $49 one.

I’m considering purchasing the original. Hmmmmm. Not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's any help, I went with the original version to keep the cost down. I figured $50 was enough for me to risk on this newer system. Since I have a bunch of blades for my AC handles, it was just the cost of the razor. And, IMO it's a lot of razor for that price. I'm happy I did. As I wrote above, I may be in the minority but so far haven't found the using the OREN version much different. Then again, I can shave with almost any razor well- way too many years of practice :001_rolle .

As I wrote above, I may be in the minority but so far haven't found the using the OREN version much different.

Although I prefer the OREN razor over the orignal Occam's razor, I don't believe the differences are earthshaking. I think reducing the guard makes for easier shaving of the upper lip. But you learn to shave with the tool you have. I can shave my upper lip without problems using the Occam's razor or even a GEM SE razor. And I think the skeletonized handle improves both my grip and the comfort/manueverability of the razor. But these differences are subtle. If one were to rate the razor on a scale of 1 to 5, the original Occam's razor might be a 4.25 and the OREN might be a 4.5. A small difference, and yet for me an improvement. Other than those small differences, the rest of the shave is remarkably similar.

eric.

The Occam´s was for me a winner purchase, adjustable, SS & an amazing shaver. I reall like the head profile & the blade position system because it works. I even solved the grip issues with a little leather cord that I had & also made a travel blade cover for it.

IMG_20210414_124849407.jpg

IMG_20210414_124942034.jpg

Cheers

Here's an update on the OREN version that I've used exclusively for more than three weeks.

Pros over the original are very minor, a milled out handle and a shorter blade guard. The razors to me shave about the same. I don't really notice much difference. Both versions shave really well. I'm getting some of the best shaves ever from a safety razor with these Occam's offerings. When I get home to Reno I'll compare these shaves to some of my all time favorite safety razor/blade combos and see where that leads me. My straight razor shaves are a little closer, but these shaves are consistently great, and mindlessly easy to achieve.

One thing I have noticed in these Occam's (both versions) is that my blades are not lasting quite as long. I'm getting mostly about five really solid shaves per blade, while the same blade in the Feather SS or DX type handles tends to give me roughly seven. I did some reading and perhaps it's the fact that the Occam's has some blade float like a Oneblade, which also seems to eats blades pretty quickly. I'm not really sure why the blade life seems shorter, anybody have any ideas?

It look's like the OREN razors are sold out except in black, but the original Occam's is still available for the $50 in plain stainless, and a little more in some colorways. If you want one, it would seem better not to wait too long as it's not clear to me if they'll make more of these. I can't imagine there's any profit in selling a US made stainless razor with the extra parts they include for $50. I just ordered another original Occam's to be sent to me here in Brooklyn, so I can compare the two razors side by side before I get home to Reno.

More on this thread in a few weeks.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I'm glad to hear you liking your razors, for me the shorter guard is a difference a d why I wouldn't get the longer. And agreed, its very easy to get a great shave with it, I'm seriously considering getting a backup (although not sure why, theres really no part that can "fail"). Look forward to your update.

I'm glad to hear you liking your razors, for me the shorter guard is a difference a d why I wouldn't get the longer. And agreed, its very easy to get a great shave with it, I'm seriously considering getting a backup (although not sure why, theres really no part that can "fail"). Look forward to your update.
LOL- I have a backup of all my favorite razors, although you're right there is likely not much will go wrong with them. Sometimes it turns out that a razor purchase now results in something in demand later.

With a couple of each Occam's version, I can always try the one or three dot shorter guards from the OREN on the original handle. It's also conceivable that I could hone down one of the longer guards somewhat, if it's just a length question. But, I'd have to see them side by side to really know. I'll post more when I have the two in hand.

So I purchased the original. I got a few good shaves but it’s losing its allure.

Having a very hard time under the nose. My nose is NOT large.

Any tricks?

I have tried the Occam with 3 different Feather Blades and head .. and ... . Today was first time ... with a 3rd use Feather Pro....more blade feel, but EVERYTIME this razor skips, jumps, has areas where it doesn't shave well..... Was so frustrated grabbed a Merkuhr 45 w a Bic blade......what a difference......smooooooth.

For the occurs users: do you press down on the razor.....more than a DE, in the cart territory? I haven't tried, but before I give up.....

I purchased an Occam's Razor original version that holds Feather Artist Club (AC) blades from Classic Shaving. It's priced today for the plain stainless version at $49 plus shipping. There also may be a 20% coupon available, which for me basically offset the shipping. So, call it $50 delivered to me in Arizona. There are some other finishes gold, rose gold, and black, but I tend to go for basic models, provided function is the same. This review is after two weeks of solid use of the razor; my take on it may change over time and if my opinion changes much, I'll be sure to post an update. I also had blades, so I didn't buy any blades. If you add a pack of blades, it's $15.50 for a pack of Feather Pros. With the 20% off that's not bad, but

The razor is at this link (checked 3/24/21): Occam’s Razor - Single Edge Safety Razor - https://www.classicshaving.com/collections/occams-razor/products/occams-razor. They do make an O.R.E.N. version that has a hollowed out handle and some difference in the depth of the safety guide. I haven't tried the O.R.E.N variation, so my comments relate only to the one in hand.

Basic description: This is a 316 stainless steel, machined razor, that has two basic parts: 1- a top piece and 2- a combination bottom piece and handle. The razor is held together by two small screws. The example I received had no cosmetic flaws. The razor came with three top pieces denoted with one, two or three dots for varying aggressiveness, a blade changing tool, and some paperwork. The two-dot mid-level top piece came installed on mine. To change the top piece the two little screws must be removed and then with the top piece chosen screwed in again. The blade is held in place by two little nubs that protrude from the top piece that fit inside the outer holes of the Feather AC blade. There is also a slot that is formed between the two parts of the razor when attached that the blade slides into.

Why did I purchase Occam's Razor? Simple curiosity- the sort of floating nature of how the blade is held IMO is both clever and intrigued me. Most DE and SE razors holders keep the blade pretty much firmly in place either through the use of pressure, a clamp, or spring of some sort. This razor only holds the blade in place with the two little nubs protruding down from the top piece and importantly within the slot formed by the two screwed together parts. This allows the blade a small amount of float, or travel, as you're shaving.

Also, I have a Cobra Classic razor, also for AC blades, designed by these folks, and it has given me wonderful service. Cobra Classic razors are far more expensive. My Cobra holds the blade in place with a spring pushing up into the bottom plate, so different than this razor. Plus, I figured spending $50 for a 316 stainless, machined razor, that has an unique blade holding system was worth a try.

Pros- Price for what you get is terrific- three top pieces to vary aggression, stainless steel, a tool for changing blades, a pair of extra screws, and in a nice box.

The biggest pro is the shave. I've had really great shaves with the Occam's razor, almost all of them 9s or 10s- out of 10. Smooth, close and mostly wonderful. I had an off shave with Tabac yesterday, but that may just have been me having an off day, or making a poor lather; that shave was still an 8/10. I find when using this razor the bit of float in the blade seems to help me get closer with my XTG and ATG passes with less effort than using the same blade in Feather AC straight holders. Auditory feedback is good. The razor is simple to clean and rinses clean easily under the tap. Overall, this is a really fine razor and gives a wonderful shave with one caveat that I'll discuss below under cons.

Cons- All of these are picky except for the last one- the razor is a little wider than other AC handled holders, but not wider than a straight razor; the blade changing tool has sat in the box and I haven't used it- my fingers work fine; the razor came with no blades, not even a sample blade to try; the top pieces have to be unscrewed and re-screwed to change. As I said, picky points and not important.

Here's the caveat- the only real con I found is that at least some AC blades may not work properly. Feather Pros work great. In fact, I have gotten some the best shaves ever with a Feather Pro using this razor. I think the guarded Feathers and Pro Supers will also work, as they are sold with the razor as options. The outside holes in the Feather Pro blade and the nubs on the razor line up perfectly. However, Schick Prolines P-30 AC blades did not fit properly in my razor. I tried the Proline blades on each of the three top pieces and they all were the same. The holes on the Proline cause the blade to not lay flat on the little nubs. Try as I might, and with a few different Proline blades, I couldn't get the Proline to sit flush- the blades bowed a bit. I had tried a Proline in the razor one of my early uses and it felt way off. So I swapped it to the Feather Pro and have stayed with those. It seems the nubs on the razor are designed and machined to fit Feather blades and the tolerances are such that only Feather blades fit. I have to say this is a bummer, as I generally find the Prolines the smoothest AC blades for many of my holders and was excited to get a Proline shave from this razor. I think maybe with some time and a bit of filing of the blade holes I'll get one to fit, but it's still a big con to me. I'm also not sure whether other AC blades, like Kai Titan Mild or the Protouch MG will fit.

I tried to get a photo of the issue, but with my mobile I just can't get close enough for it to show up well. Oh, here's a pic of the razor in the box with all the accoutrements including two packs of my Feather Pros.
I remember if there's no picture on B&B it doesn't count. Thanks for reading.

View attachment 1241286
I use proline blades in my OREN.
You may need to use a file to reduce the size of the blade holding tabs. My dot 2 plate came ready, but the two other plates needed some work. The proline blades are smoother.

I have tried the Occam with 3 different Feather Blades and head .. and ... . Today was first time ... with a 3rd use Feather Pro....more blade feel, but EVERYTIME this razor skips, jumps, has areas where it doesn't shave well..... Was so frustrated grabbed a Merkuhr 45 w a Bic blade......what a difference......smooooooth.

For the occurs users: do you press down on the razor.....more than a DE, in the cart territory? I haven't tried, but before I give up.....
I press down more than i do using de razors to get this to work. I prefer the medium plate. I do think there is a limit to this floating blade design.

I purchased an Occam's Razor original version that holds Feather Artist Club (AC) blades from Classic Shaving. It's priced today for the plain stainless version at $49 plus shipping. There also may be a 20% coupon available, which for me basically offset the shipping. So, call it $50 delivered to me in Arizona. There are some other finishes gold, rose gold, and black, but I tend to go for basic models, provided function is the same. This review is after two weeks of solid use of the razor; my take on it may change over time and if my opinion changes much, I'll be sure to post an update. I also had blades, so I didn't buy any blades. If you add a pack of blades, it's $15.50 for a pack of Feather Pros. With the 20% off that's not bad, but

The razor is at this link (checked 3/24/21): Occam’s Razor - Single Edge Safety Razor - https://www.classicshaving.com/collections/occams-razor/products/occams-razor. They do make an O.R.E.N. version that has a hollowed out handle and some difference in the depth of the safety guide. I haven't tried the O.R.E.N variation, so my comments relate only to the one in hand.

Basic description: This is a 316 stainless steel, machined razor, that has two basic parts: 1- a top piece and 2- a combination bottom piece and handle. The razor is held together by two small screws. The example I received had no cosmetic flaws. The razor came with three top pieces denoted with one, two or three dots for varying aggressiveness, a blade changing tool, and some paperwork. The two-dot mid-level top piece came installed on mine. To change the top piece the two little screws must be removed and then with the top piece chosen screwed in again. The blade is held in place by two little nubs that protrude from the top piece that fit inside the outer holes of the Feather AC blade. There is also a slot that is formed between the two parts of the razor when attached that the blade slides into.

Why did I purchase Occam's Razor? Simple curiosity- the sort of floating nature of how the blade is held IMO is both clever and intrigued me. Most DE and SE razors holders keep the blade pretty much firmly in place either through the use of pressure, a clamp, or spring of some sort. This razor only holds the blade in place with the two little nubs protruding down from the top piece and importantly within the slot formed by the two screwed together parts. This allows the blade a small amount of float, or travel, as you're shaving.

Also, I have a Cobra Classic razor, also for AC blades, designed by these folks, and it has given me wonderful service. Cobra Classic razors are far more expensive. My Cobra holds the blade in place with a spring pushing up into the bottom plate, so different than this razor. Plus, I figured spending $50 for a 316 stainless, machined razor, that has an unique blade holding system was worth a try.

Pros- Price for what you get is terrific- three top pieces to vary aggression, stainless steel, a tool for changing blades, a pair of extra screws, and in a nice box.

The biggest pro is the shave. I've had really great shaves with the Occam's razor, almost all of them 9s or 10s- out of 10. Smooth, close and mostly wonderful. I had an off shave with Tabac yesterday, but that may just have been me having an off day, or making a poor lather; that shave was still an 8/10. I find when using this razor the bit of float in the blade seems to help me get closer with my XTG and ATG passes with less effort than using the same blade in Feather AC straight holders. Auditory feedback is good. The razor is simple to clean and rinses clean easily under the tap. Overall, this is a really fine razor and gives a wonderful shave with one caveat that I'll discuss below under cons.

Cons- All of these are picky except for the last one- the razor is a little wider than other AC handled holders, but not wider than a straight razor; the blade changing tool has sat in the box and I haven't used it- my fingers work fine; the razor came with no blades, not even a sample blade to try; the top pieces have to be unscrewed and re-screwed to change. As I said, picky points and not important.

Here's the caveat- the only real con I found is that at least some AC blades may not work properly. Feather Pros work great. In fact, I have gotten some the best shaves ever with a Feather Pro using this razor. I think the guarded Feathers and Pro Supers will also work, as they are sold with the razor as options. The outside holes in the Feather Pro blade and the nubs on the razor line up perfectly. However, Schick Prolines P-30 AC blades did not fit properly in my razor. I tried the Proline blades on each of the three top pieces and they all were the same. The holes on the Proline cause the blade to not lay flat on the little nubs. Try as I might, and with a few different Proline blades, I couldn't get the Proline to sit flush- the blades bowed a bit. I had tried a Proline in the razor one of my early uses and it felt way off. So I swapped it to the Feather Pro and have stayed with those. It seems the nubs on the razor are designed and machined to fit Feather blades and the tolerances are such that only Feather blades fit. I have to say this is a bummer, as I generally find the Prolines the smoothest AC blades for many of my holders and was excited to get a Proline shave from this razor. I think maybe with some time and a bit of filing of the blade holes I'll get one to fit, but it's still a big con to me. I'm also not sure whether other AC blades, like Kai Titan Mild or the Protouch MG will fit.

I tried to get a photo of the issue, but with my mobile I just can't get close enough for it to show up well. Oh, here's a pic of the razor in the box with all the accoutrements including two packs of my Feather Pros.
I remember if there's no picture on B&B it doesn't count. Thanks for reading.

View attachment 1241286
You may need to use a file to reduce the size of the blade holding tabs. My dot 2 plate came ready, but the two other plates needed some work. The proline blades are smoother.

Still have to mod my head for it too.
OTOH it is a mindless mower with a protouch for those days where you in a hurry and do not want a nick.

Still have to mod my head for it too.
OTOH it is a mindless mower with a protouch for those days where you in a hurry and do not want a nick.

This razor have become my pickup pass razor after i use a straight razor.
I just rinse it and let it try with the blade in. This means i can use my straights in the morning when i have time constraints.

This razor have become my pickup pass razor after i use a straight razor.
I just rinse it and let it try with the blade in. This means i can use my straights in the morning when i have time constraints.
I still prefer a nice hefty de with a sharp blade shave experience and result wise. The occam lacks feedback just like my oneblade genesis did.
shaves better as a Yaqi ac though.
Should give it a go with a feather pro inside etc.

Top Bottom