What's new

Slant Razor Advice

Dear Fellow Peeps,

I have been wet shaving almost my whole life. In the past I used the usual plastic crap supplied from the from big Corps. It is only due to Folliculitis on my neck over the years that I only recently discovered Safety Razors and proper procedure and soap/lather. I wanna tell ya all that I am not a very experienced Safety Razor dude. About 2 years ago I bought a Merkur 34C Heavy Duty. It seemed like good place to start, and it was. After about 2 years I bought a Merkur 37C Slant. The manufacturing quality on the 37C Slant was poor, so I got it replaced, and I gotta tell ya’s, I experienced a game changing experience and I love it. However the quality of manufacturing on the new one is still not up to snuff.

So my question is, (drum roll please), is there a good reasonably priced slant razor available that anyone would recommned? I know I should probably just do the research (and I did some), but it is I because am always in such awe of this knowledge base, that I choose to come here first. Also, if it is not reasonably priced, I’d like to know anyway, because it might be the last razor I buy.

Yes, I did do a search in Badger and Blade, however I just wanted to put it out there fresh. I feel I need the opinion of the Badger and Blade good peeps expressed freshly and new.

Sincerely and Thanks,
Al

Remember, always run flat out and NEVER lift!

Have a look at the Fatip slant thread (currently at approximately 120 pages) lots of pics and first user stories from noobs to old hands.
Edit... better pic
C29F9E0D-E279-472E-9E24-88B268F864BB.jpeg

Last edited:
I used a few slants ...

If you want to spend less money, Parker semi slant.

It is more efficient but also a bit more aggressive than the Merkur

Made of stainless steel, but also a greater expense, I recommend RR Wunderbar. This is the only slant razor left in my stable ..
I sold others.

There are quite a few possibilities. Help us narrow it down by describing your requirements more precisely, otherwise you are just going to hear each person's favorite.

What budget do you consider reasonable? How often do you shave? Do you have a heavy beard? Do you prefer razors on the milder or more aggressive end of the scale? Do you have a preference or aversion toward certain materials (zamak, brass, stainless steel, aluminum, plastic, etc.) So on and so forth...
🤔

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
If you can accept the manufacturing quality of RazoRock GameChanger, RazoRock Wunderbar will definitely satisfy you.
unnamed.jpg

M

mtcn77

Yaqi Slant is also good eventhough the high blade exposure requires you hand-tilt it into a reclined position where the handle almost touch your face while going ATG under the nose.
Also, why did you dislike 37C? I gave that up due to the hidden blade gap not giving me enough feedback and I kept getting folliculitis due to pressure. Yaqi gave more feedback and a milder blade choice in Shark gave even more, so I can now get plum smooth without irritation of any kind.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’ve been using an Ikon X3 for the past couple of days and it’s been a joy. The aluminum head holds the heavily torqued blade solidly in place and mows through whiskers that like standing up to more aggressive razors. It might work for you, too, if a Yaqi slant is too hard to obtain.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you are new to traditional wet shaving I would buy a Razorock German 37 slant or a Fatip slant seeing you already tried the Merkur 37c.
If you have good technique and want a stainless steel slant the Razorock Wunderbar will work with a light touch with good technique. 2 pass with a few touch ups and you have a nice shave.
Most slants that twist the blade are very efficient and can really give nice results IMO. I have the RR German 37 slant & a Wunderbar & got my first BBS with the RR German slant 3.5 years ago.

Couple slants that I've been enjoying are the Fatip OC Slant and the Parker Semi slant. Both very efficient with good bit of blade feel.

I love my Merkur 34c, so when I wanted a slant I got the Merkur 37c. It's too mild for me, and I usually like mild razors. I even tried shimming the blade but that only gave me a rough shave. I need something more efficient. I just got on the Fatip pass-around list, and now you've all got me thinking about other possibilities!

M

mtcn77

I love my Merkur 34c, so when I wanted a slant I got the Merkur 37c. It's too mild for me, and I usually like mild razors. I even tried shimming the blade but that only gave me a rough shave. I need something more efficient. I just got on the Fatip pass-around list, and now you've all got me thinking about other possibilities!
If you can refrain yourself from pressure, don't be tempted. I got worse shaves out of yaqi slant and permasharp, but it did lighten my hand since I never felt at ease without the bbs since my hair grows all flat near the edges.
If you need manual pressure for a close shave, a milder blade goes a long way in your shave.

If I had the confidence I have now then, I'd definitely try with Merkur 37C blades as mild as Treet Carbon to see what they could do erecting hairs while not causing razorburn to the hair follicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parker semi-slant has a zamak head, so if you weren't happy with the Merkur, I'm guessing you'll have the same issue with Parker.

Fatip Le Storto is well reviewed. I haven't tried it only because I have waaay too many razors.

My personal go-to is the iKon B1 slant, but I believe they're discontinued. I also have the 103 and its a good shave at a reasonable price.

I just purchased a Wunderbar from one of the fine gentlemen here, and it is a very good shaver. I keep a longish moustache, and I'm finding it hard to get the edging right with the Wunderbar compared to the B1. I suspect its just a matter of practice, but I have the same issue with the 103 and I suspect its because the heads are wider and thicker than the B1 (or, it looks like, the Fatip).

I hate it that so often people ask a question and the first answers always have $100+ razors as the "you really need to" response. I would say, try the iKon 103 first (cheapest, still decent performer, close to a 37), then a Fatip Le Storto (a bit more expensive and aggressive), Wunderbar if you want to spend the $$ on great build quality and reasonably comparable to the 37 in feel.

Top Bottom