What's new

Muhle is launching a LE R41 Stainless Steel

M

member 119848

4th day in a row with the R41 stainless and still no signs of irritation nor razor burn.
I´m going to use it the whole month as if it was my daily. 🙂

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f6.jpg

M

member 119848

What is your usual daily razor? Do you prefer aggressive razors normally?
Not at all, these days I enjoy mostly mild razors. Razors like the Timeless .68.

I had my days when I shaved with aggressive razors and shavettes, so I´m not new with handling blade exposure.
However, I try to shave every day so most mild razors are efficient enough, and comfortable.
And I do have sensitiveness though (but not hyper-sensitive). So the R41 is not what I need, I do enjoy blade feel from time to time ;) lol

This razor requires a light touch. And I try to discipline myself not to over-shave. A few strokes per pass, and 2 passes are enough with this razor to get a BBS.
Just after the the second pass I can still see hair that could be shaved. As well as a little bit of redness. So I leave it as it is and apply cold water and aftershave. A half-an-hour later when the pores are closed, the face is BBS. (and I mean it, it´s really like a baby) lol

I would really be happy to hear a review vs Timeless slim. Which one is more efficient ? Which one more smooth? ' think I'm not the only one asking this himself...

I have both.
R41 GS is definitely more efficient than any of the Timeless. It's smooth as long as one respects 'zero pressure' and 'light touch'.
Timeless Slim is my favorite of that brand, is is more forgiving than the R41 GS in terms of pressure/touch, at the expense of overall efficiency.

20210411_133846-01-01.jpeg
For today's shave I repeated my setup of yesterday, but instead of shaving with the Karve OC "D" plate I opted for Mühle's R41 GS. Both razors provided an ultra close & dramafree bbs shave. The shave with the Karve appeared to be smoother due to the reduced blade feel, but the crown for the closest shave goes with the GS.
A stellar shave!

Have a great Sunday!

Well as for someone who has always wanted to try an r41 I order through west coast Shaving another merkur 39c and a muhle r41. I just saw this ss version however spending $ 100 more for the ss version is kind of rediculous. I have spent 220 in the past 2 weeks on brush, sample soap, sample aftershave, blades, 2 razors and proraso green soap. I think I am good for awhile.

Charlie

I have both the R41 twist and the new stainless version, and here is my observations.
The original R41 (2 piece razor) razor head does not have a good fit at the interface where the top cap is clamping the blade to the base plate (it might just be mine). If you hold it up against a light (without a blade loaded), there is a slight light opening at the clamping interface, while the CNC produced head is completely flush.
This may have an affect on the rigidity of the blade. If you like shaving with an steep angle this might lead to more blade chatter than with the plated version.
For me the shaving performance was quite similar. I would say the the stainless version i a bit smoother, but the end result was more or less the same.
Is it worth the extra cost? For me, yes. The fit and finish is just remarkable.

...The original R41 (2 piece razor) razor head does not have a good fit at the interface where the top cap is clamping the blade to the base plate (it might just be mine). If you hold it up against a light (without a blade loaded), there is a slight light opening at the clamping interface, while the CNC produced head is completely flush...
How do you know this is a not a good fit? It may be deliberately designed this way with a small amount of relief around the edges. As long as the clamping force against the base plate is the same, I don't think this will make a noticeable difference in the shave.

There was not a big noticeable difference, if any in the shave. I just think it is a difference in the tolerances in the different manufacturing method.
Tighter tolerances is in my opinion always better. This would not be a deciding factor for me. I would be just as satisfied with my original R41 twist.

There was not a big noticeable difference, if any in the shave. I just think it is a difference in the tolerances in the different manufacturing method.
Tighter tolerances is in my opinion always better. This would not be a deciding factor for me. I would be just as satisfied with my original R41 twist.
Sorry to nitpick, but if the part is designed with a relief, then it is made as designed, not with sloppy tolerances or poor quality. A relief would prevent a sharp edge of the handle from gouging the plating on the base plate. It would also allow for some minor variation in the plating thickness. True, you would not need that with the stainless version, but the cost is way out of proportion to the benefit, IMHO.

Nitpicking is important to have a good discussion. You might be correct that the difference is by design, and as intended by Müle. And yes, the benefit (if any) does not justify the additional cost.
Bearing stress is a function of pressure over area. High spots would increase the bearing stress on the plating. Two "perfectly" flat surfaces would clamp the blade better.
If proper care is taken the original plated version will probably outlast me:)

If I didn't already have the zamak R41 then I may have been tempted to spend 5x as much because it's stainless steel.
But reading reviews here and noting someone has already changed handle .. it's an easy decision to avoid it.

M

member 119848

If I didn't already have the zamak R41 then I may have been tempted to spend 5x as much because it's stainless steel.
But reading reviews here and noting someone has already changed handle .. it's an easy decision to avoid it.
For every razor out there you will find users that swap handles to their likings.

M

member 119848

I do agree that the handle is on the long side though. And there are grippier knurlings.
But overall it´s well balanced.

For every razor out there you will find users that swap handles to their likings.
As long as it's not one of the common TTO of course - but I understand your general assumption. Therefore I think it would be great if they sold it as a head only as they do the zamak.
That way you don't have to pay more for something you wont use.

Top Bottom