What's new

Badger Blends: Your Homemade Aftershave Mixes

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Made a very nice vetiver AS today! 👍 " Veti-very."

Had some Crusellas Vetiver left over... 🤔 These Crusellas products are cheap, mostly found in Miami etc. as it's a Cuban family. Anyways.

They are high in alcohol but usually low in essential oils, IMO. To be fair, they sell inexpensive in a large bottle. Anyways II!

Decanted the rest into glass, added a few drops glycerin and about 1/3 witch hazel. Now it's got moisturizer and astringent... And since it's a "sweet" vetiver, I added some darker vetiver: a few squirts of Encre Noire. Perfect!

Two kinds of vetiver, witch hazel, alky bite and glycerin? Yeah, I'll take that!

AA

Made up a big bottle of Richard's Rub. I like to use it generously.
89804CBC-EBE1-4473-B375-CC7288AA784A.jpeg

Eyeballed 50/50 Osage Rub and Dickinson's witch hazel H2O tonic. It clarifies a bit over time.easily recognized in the line up!

NQS Spice:

2 parts P&G Old Spice
1 part Stephan Spicy
Not quite Shulton (NQS) but better than either one alone.

In spicy, I have P&G OS and and Stirling Deton-8. I would like a mellower spice, but not planning any more spice AS acquisitions. Any suggestions? Would a vetiver scent balance well in a mix? I mix Osage Rub with almost anything, but spice?

Following the @fightingillini22 golden 3:1 ratio with a twist:

Florida Limeade
3 parts lime, 1 part Florida Water
1 each of:
Gabel's Drops of Lime, Booster Iced Lime, Pinaud Lime Sec
1 of Florida Water

Also for summer, a refill of 3 Aqua Velva to 1 Osage Rub. Needs a name, but I'm labelling it Illini Water for now.

Following the @fightingillini22 golden 3:1 ratio with a twist:

Florida Limeade
3 parts lime, 1 part Florida Water
1 each of:
Gabel's Drops of Lime, Booster Iced Lime, Pinaud Lime Sec
1 of Florida Water

Also for summer, a refill of 3 Aqua Velva to 1 Osage Rub. Needs a name, but I'm labelling it Illini Water for now.
You could call it Da'Monte in honor of our returning 5th year!

Ted, you lost me there.
In reference to calling it Illini Water, Da'Monte Williams announced yesterday that he will be returning to the U of I play basketball for his 5th year of eligibility. Good news for a team that lost several outstanding players this month. I grew up in Champaign so I am a little giddy over getting the good news.

Da'Monte Williams announced yesterday that he will be returning to the U of I play basketball for his 5th year of eligibility

So much for 'four and done'. Wait, did I get that right? 5th year of eligibility? I'm just confused.

I grew up in the Chicago 'burbs, but basketball was my Hoosier mother's passion, not mine. I got out of there before the Bulls went on their run and stole her heart.

I did get down to Champaign for various high school competitions: forensics, science, journalism. Plenty of brains among the fields of grains. But now I live in the land of Nike where a guy playing 5 years seems just a little amateur. Oregon did get their star quarterback to play year 4. I don't know how Phil Knight sorted out his conflicting emotions about a thing like that.

I did a mix of 3 parts Clubman with 1 part unscented Thayer's Witch Hazel, a few menthol crystals, and a couple drops of glycerin. It's a much more nourishing mixture, but the scent longevity is diminished greatly.

So much for 'four and done'. Wait, did I get that right? 5th year of eligibility? I'm just confused.

I grew up in the Chicago 'burbs, but basketball was my Hoosier mother's passion, not mine. I got out of there before the Bulls went on their run and stole her heart.

I did get down to Champaign for various high school competitions: forensics, science, journalism. Plenty of brains among the fields of grains. But now I live in the land of Nike where a guy playing 5 years seems just a little amateur. Oregon did get their star quarterback to play year 4. I don't know how Phil Knight sorted out his conflicting emotions about a thing like that.
I think it's because of Covid, but I do recall someone on the 2005 team was working on their master's degree and still playing on the team.

I don't know if this has been written about but I tried one that I really like. It's equal parts Jeris Osage rub and pinaud eau de Portugal. The glycerin in the EDP is very soothing and the citrus tones down the eucalyptus in the rub. If it's not been done yet, I'd call it a Portuguese Freeze.

I have some aftershaves that I like but leave the surface of my face feeling tacky afterwards. Is there anything I can do to circumvent this?

This blend was inspired by @Tanuki's creation of Florida Limeade.

Bimini

2) Pinaud Lime Sec
2) Avon Island Lime
1) Florida Water
1) Osage Rub

Great idea! Great name!

I will follow this promising new lead. Lacking Avon Island Lime (AIL) I probably use some Booster Iced Lime (BIL) in that spot.
Alphabetically close. :punk:

Definitive testing may require a return to warmer weather in the presently cool and rainy Pacific Northwest. But I'll get it on my face today - haven't shaved yet.

To the laboratory! :badger:

Top Bottom