What's new

*Fatip Slant*

I've had about 7 or 8 different Fatip razors and currently own and use two. Functionally they have all performed fine, although all except 2 required manually adjusting the blade alignment. Fit and finish has ranged from poor to good. For the price, they are excellent razors, but I've owned Muhle, Merkur, Edwin Jagger and Blackland razors and the alignment and fit and finish on those razors is clearly superior to what I have seen from Fatip. The first three make both zinc alloy (zamak) and stainless razors, but those zamak razors cost as much or more that the solid brass Fatip. And I don't believe that anyone makes a stainless razor priced as low as the Fatip.

For me the bottom line is that Fatip's shave performance per dollar is exceptional. But if you prize manufacturing excellence and attention to detail, buy something else.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
4-6-21.CH3.Manchurian.FOCS.Vitos.640.JPG

The thing about this razor is how well it shaves.

Exactly what goes into its design is beyond me - very small gap, very small guard span, perfect blade exposure - but what it delivers is very clear.
  • It's easy as pie to use.
  • That's partially because it has just about zero tendency to bit.
  • It's easy to get a really good shave.
  • That's partially because using it is so comfortable.
Is the razor's stellar performance because of the gap, guard span, etc? Really, I have no idea. I'm not entirely sure it matters to me, but I'm curious about it. Whatever it is, Fatip has created a great razor.

In my opinion the FOCS delivers!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
View attachment 1247411

The thing about this razor is how well it shaves.

In my opinion the FOCS delivers!

Exactly what goes into its design is beyond me - very small gap, very small guard span, perfect blade exposure - but what it delivers is very clear.
  • It's easy as pie to use.
  • That's partially because it has just about zero tendency to bit.
  • It's easy to get a really good shave.
  • That's partially because using it is so comfortable.
Is the razor's stellar performance because of the gap, guard span, etc? Really, I have no idea. I'm not entirely sure it matters to me, but I'm curious about it. Whatever it is, Fatip has created a great razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Lovely brush to go with your G-FOCS, Jim!

A FOCS in the early 1970s would probably have been my only razor. All the good points of my Old Type and Merkur 36 slant rolled into a single durable brass razor with no sentimental associations. And I would have just bought three more for my boys and told them they didn’t need to try anything else.

Just think about all the fun (and expense) I would have missed! All those hours doing CPR on expired SRs. I guess I could have still discovered B&B and spent it all on incredibly overpriced soap and incredibly cheap vintage brushes.

Yes, yes.. Early arrival today :001_tt1:.
View attachment 1248350
View attachment 1248352
View attachment 1248353

First impression: Love at first sight.
Second impression: Quality seems more then ok, all as it should be. Blade loading/removal without any problem and blade alignment looks fine.
First shave: Wow and I will repeat it again... WOW.
Superclose 3 pass shave (no touch-ups needed) on a 40hrs-stubble with a new personna blue lab blade.
At first sight this is an aggressive and a dangerous razor but it isn't.
Supersmooth and effective, as stated by many in this forum...
Maybe I was a bit uncarefull with the pressure because it gave me a couple of weepers.
But shave was superclose without any irritation.
All in all a 9/10 first shave, this can only get better....

Very happy with this one...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
4-9-21.Shavemac.FOCS.Vitos..JPG

Frankly, the only reason I keep any of my other razors if for variety. Well, that, and the obvious.

BOSC2ScienceProject.jpg

One must occasionally replicate even experiments which long ago demonstrated the obvious:

The FOCS is the top of the heap.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Well,well.
My second shave with the focs and the personna blue labs blade (2) was even better than yesterday.
BBS, DFS and totaly zero irritation. (9.5/10) Shaving angle is rather steep, but this feels totaly natural.
I like this little razor a lot. Even the short handle works like a charm for me.
Now ready to try different blades.

Fatip OC Slants.

Jim, how is the efficiency of fattip OC slant for heavy 3-4 worth of stubble growth? I shave exclusively with Merkur 37C slant for three years and after trying the Lupo .72 I realized that the former was not as efficient as I liked to be. It looks efficient to me, I'd like to know your take on that aspect. Thanks!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, how is the efficiency of Fatip OC slant for heavy 3-4 worth of stubble growth? I shave exclusively with Merkur 37C slant for three years and after trying the Lupo .72 I realized that the former was not as efficient as I liked to be. It looks efficient to me, I'd like to know your take on that aspect. Thanks!

I never go that long so I have no idea from my experience, but I've heard it's great.

Happy shaves,

Jim

After 1 week with the lo storto originale (6 shaves) .....still very happy with it.

I had 5 shaves with a Personna Blue Lab blade (one of my favorites in the Muhle R89) I was impressed with the smoothness and the efficiency. Maybe 1 day to much with this blade because i had a bit of irritation the last day. Bit of tughing on the chin area.
This morning tried a new Rapira Platinum lux blade.. and this is definiltly an upgrade. Smooth, BBS, no nicks, in short a very very nice shave...

Happy shaves

Decided to shave with lady FOXY today, since I haven't played with her in the past weeks. Another effortless and comfortable BBS even despite that the Bolzano was a bit tuggy on it's 4th use, but it managed to deliver one final shave. Even though my FOXY suffers from the infamous Fatip misalignment and I have to adjust the blade a little bit and also the tread is a pain to load and remove the blades from some brands, it never fails to deliver a quality shave that rivals my favorite DE and SE razors.

Shave with the FOCS today, after not using it for a few months...

I picked-up a Lupo and Dart during that time, and was using them primarily...
After using these "high blade feel" razors, the FOCS was just as smooth as butter, in comparison.

Need to not ignore this great shaver so much!

Top Bottom